1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by edjay, 23 Jun 2008.

1. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

Could anyone please tell me if SP1 of Vista is included in an OEM purchase, or is it only available as a download?

Thanks. :)

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

If you bought one that had been made recently then yes. I imagine all of the disks now would have SP1 on them, as any older stock will have gone.

It should really say on the website (or shop) whether it has SP1 included.

But either way it doesn't really matter, I don't imagine there are many if any benefits of having SP1 preinstalled.

3. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

I've read at least one thread here that says it's beneficial and I was just hoping to avoid the hassle with the upgrade. Thanks

EDit------------------>
    Hey Martticus: I see you're using 4G of a mix of RAM? Could you explain that please. What OS are you using?

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Im using vista 64bit. Its just 2 x1gb sticks of OCZ platinum 800mhz 4-4-4-12. And 2x1gb sticks of Corsair XMS2 800mhz 4-4-4-12. So really the mixing doesn't matter as they are the same speeds and timings and both run at 850mhz 4-4-4-12. So its all gravy.

I imagine you where also asking about the use of 4gb, you can use up to 128gb of ram in vista 64 ultimate, and upto 16gb of ram in premium/business (maybe basic I don't know) 64. When using a 32bit OS you are limited to 4gb as that is the amount it can adress, but X amount of that will be taken up by graphics and other small amounts of ram on the mobo and chipsets. For instance my grapics card has 512mb of ram, so when using 4gb of ram on a 32bit system (which I did for a while) the OS saw and used 3.5gb of ram.

5. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

Last edited: 24 Jun 2008
  6. Matticus

Matticus ...

Yep, well most. Its not the fact that its 32bit that will not make some programs run, but just the fact the program doesn't work in vista. I have not ran into a single program that doesn't work in vista, or doesn't have a newer/updated version that will. Edit: Lie, peer guardian isn't 100% vista compatible unless you boot without driver signing. :p

So are you planning on vista 64 then? May I suggest Home Premium rather than any other flavours of vista, ultimate is ultimate IF you need the extra features which most do not. What system do you plan to run it on, as obviously if you go for 64bit then you need a 64bit CPU.

7. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

Aye, a 5600+ Brisbane, 2G OCZ Platinum, Asus M2N-X, Acer 24" mon.

I'm definitely beginning to think in a Vista direction - I've come from WIN98SE to Linux Ubuntu (and a few others) then dual-boot with XP PRO (2 drives) and at the mo' I'm just having a 32bit Vista "taster." I'm impressed, I like it. A few weeks should help to decide.

Premium - Definitely. I found a comparison of the Vista flavours and yes, ultimate only for those business extras. I just need to feel sure for myself about the 64bit aspect before pennies gravitate from pockets. Plenty of good stuff here and on the HEXUS forum. Spot on reviews on BIT-TECH - just assited me in ordering a Zalman 8800GT from SCAN. I shall lovingly retire my 7600GS. :)

How's 64 bit with games?

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

This one
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=747240

Or this one
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=733164

I have the gigabyte (first one) brilliant card, and the Leadtek one appears to have the exam same cooler but black. So you will definatly be happy with that card.

Vista 64 is a must, I find even before I got another 2gb of ram, that vista 64 was noticably faster than XP pro 32bit. But if you just want that extra bit of speed when running a lot of stuff and in games I would get another 2gb of ram, from scan you can get 2gb of corsair for around £35.

Your system looks great for vista with that 8800GT added to the mix.

Vista for games, well I had an ATI HD 3850 512mb, and when I moved from XP to vista, my games slowed down a bit, ie 5fps this wasn't noticable in any games as they where running well above 30fps. Crysis became slightly unplayable. But now that I have my 8800GT gaming is much faster and smoother in vista than it was in XP with my 3850.

9. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

It's the Gigabyte one, and no, I hadn't actually noticed before the order that the fans were the same.

This all sounds remarkably positive regarding 64bit. The RAM upgrade would have to wait as there's only 2 slots. But hell, it is OCZ DDR2 800. I'd already decided today that some research on the mobo front would be a good idea as well. I'll pop back on this tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Another benefit in getting Vista a64-bit, is that you get to use your 64-bit CPU, and unlock it's full potential. And to top things over, form my perspective I found that Vista 64-bit is way more polished then it's 32-bit version. SP1 put Vista 32-bit close to the 64-bit. But I still find it (personally) not as good polish wise.
    Moreover, is most problem reported in Vista, were only effecting the 32-bit version.
    Just make sure all your peripherals has Windows Vista 64-bit drivers, or AT LEAST Windows XP 64-bit edition drivers, as Vista 64-bit does not take 32-bit drivers.

11. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

I found a couple of articles that suggest a bit of caution. Could you point to any recent stuff on the issue? I think this is likely to be my base research matter for the day. Thanks

EDit:
    Research complete: I think it would be best for me to use 32bit to begin with until I've decided more what I'm doing with the PC. General browsing shows that people with specific uses love 64bit, but people just diving in for a general-every-day-OS have various diver issues and niggles.

Definitely worth keeping any eye on for the future, especially with Windows 7 arriving in not much more than a year.

Hey GoodBytes, as an "Ultramodder", to what uses do you put your PC?

12. Matticus

Matticus ...

I knew GoodBytes would come along sooner or later if a vista Q was asked :p

There are no specific issues you have to look out more any more than you did in XP. People are a bit cautious about vista because when it came out it was a little fussy, but any major issues are all fixed now and really if you have a 64 bit cpu and a reasonably good system you need vista to truly let it run free.

On the articles you find, just check the date of them, some vista bug articles are a year or so old now.

In terms of drivers, the only things you have to look out for are wireless cards, they seem to have some issues with vista 64 but most of the time these can be resolved. On my old system (which my bro now has) and my new system, both with vista (32 for him 64 for me) niether of us have had any issues with drivers. Vista is incredably good at finding and updating the drivers itself after a few start ups.

My suggestion is go for it, you won't be disapointed. When I first tried it I went back to XP within a week (not great peformance from my 3850 in crysis, which I was playing through at the time), but then I gave it another go and within 2 days XP was completly gone off my system.

13. GoodBytes

That is just bit-tech default title when you reach a certain post number... I could change it, but I am too lazy.
    I use Vista 64-bit Ultimate. I do use Business edition and Home Premium edition features. Also I got it for extra extra (20$ Can) cheap at the company computer store I used to worked for (summer job).

You have no reason to use Vista 32-bit. That is like you using the old old computers, back then with the turbo button, and you go "Man, let me remove the turbo button, the computer is way too fast for me!"
    You purchased a 64-bit CPU, why not use it. Moreover, Vista 32-bit is not as polished as Vista 64-bit.
    So, UNLESS you deeply want Vista, and you have a specific program that you LOVE at extreme levels that you would literately kill person that you see uses a crack copy, and does not work under 64-bit Vista, because the computer programmers of that software are too dumb to properly make a software, then ok. But otherwise, no.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

lol, so i just want to join this discussion and say Vista 64bit rocks. no reason to go to any other operating system IMHO.

15. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

Hmmm..? I'm not yet convinced that I need 64bit Vista instantly?

I can almost feel the salivation of enthusiasm...........but

I've just finished my system, like............literally today! 18 months of fingernails and grey hair to reach the giddy heights of a system topped by an 8800GT! (With more hard drives than I could shake a severed branch at.) So I need to be at peace with my molehill for a while.

Your team effervesence is indelibly noted.

(edit..wow, emoved repeats!)

Where's the best dedicated Vista forums then? :clap:

Last edited: 25 Jun 2008
  16. GoodBytes

alright... do whatever you want.. stay with XP if you want. I could not care less. Suffer! like I like to say.
    On your way sell your computer, and get a P4 3Ghz, Geforce 7900, you can keep your RAM (I mean anything above 3GB will just be ignored), you won't see a difference and have fun!

We are people that I like to class our self as real computer enthusiast. There is one thing knowing how to build a computer and getting a general idea how stuff works inside. But there is an other, seeing value, knowing how stuff work in depth from hardware, software and operating systems. Here are your choices, either you listen to those people that have no life other then being on Facebook all day and create hundred of account in forums and saying B.S on Vista and any new Windows release (everyone gets amused differently), or you can listen to us. I can't force you into a decision, and despite what it seams I am not a sells man. If you want one, go to your computer store, and ask them to talk about Vista 64-bit and listen all the B.S he will say, as he knows nothing more than you. Actually, if you go in summer time you can be lucky and find people like us working for a summer job (first or second job) and get proper information.

We answered your questions and concern... if you have more don't hesitate to ask, we would be glad to help you out.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

here, where GoodBytes and Matticus is posting :naughty:

18. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

:jawdrop: Now that was humor!

I shall return, the shining progeny (..idy ?) extra RAM clasped firmly in mit! I will certainly have more questions in the near future.

19. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

I bought Vista 64bit with SP1 included the other day. All games and driver installed no problems. I also have Vista 32bit and its not worth buying. I'm pretty happy I bought 64bit its 10x better then Vista 32bit.

It says on the OEM box SP1.

20. mushky

mushky gimme snails

If your hardware is less than a year or so old you should be able to get 64bit drivers without a problem. Spend 10 minutes checking the manufacturers sites of everything to see if you can download them

Tags: