1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI Express power button

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ninja_182, 11 Aug 2008.

1. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Not sure if this should be hardware but it struck me as general banter and not a help request.

So I just got home with an air duster and figured I would dust my GPU heatsink. Turned the computer off as per procedure. Unplugged the graphics card power supply, unplugged the DVI cable, popped open the quick release tab and pulled it out. Now as It was half out the PCI port, the computer booted its self up.

Im not the biggest hardware geek but I'm pretts sure the on/off header is at the bottom of my motherboard and connected to the front panel and not inside my PCI slot. I felt I should share this with you as I found it rather ammusing and my family will not understand why I found it funny.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've unplugged SATA cables and had the machine boot; I should really get in the habit of turning the PSU off when I work on it :rolleyes:

3. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

LOL I totally agree. Mine booted up when I reset the CMOS yesterday.

4. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Haha I was worried for a bit that I may have shorted something and killed my card. It did get me thinking how the PSU gets a signal to power things up from pulling out a graphics card. SATA confuses me even more as they dont even carry power.

I usually pull the IEC cable out after I ground myself on the case but I was feeling extra lazy and pulling a PCI card out is hardly a major task.

5. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

mine boots whenever i touch the keyboard or mouse or if I have my dell monitor plugged in via usb it will boot randomly in the middle of the night and scare the **** out of me!

6. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Always turn off at the psu! And then press the power button to draw all power out the capacitors or what have you.

7. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Thats the best bit of advice anyone can give whenworking on a PC!

8. Mr.ME

Mr.ME Minimodder

had my machine boot when i disconected the powerbutton
    quoting Moss fom ITcrowd "BUT HOW"

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

10. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

I had that happen once to me, forgot the system had a battery backup :/ somehow it started up, scared the beejezus out of me.

11. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Don't some bios have a wake on LAN for PCI/PCIE slots? Could be that getting triggered.

12. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I think it pays to burn 4 calories pulling the plug out the back of the psu. Really.

:)

13. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

The system can get a wake signal from yanking or inserting cards. That's way it is ALWAYS recommended to pull the plug from the rear of the computer itself before doing work on it.

I learned my lesion after installing a NIC in a server and having it boot with the card half in.

14. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I've had my PC boot after I turned it off, and while touching to so I could pull out the PSU cable, my body grounded to the case and the transfer of static charge caused it to power on. Weird.

15. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

You're probably right but I read somewhere that leaving it in for static discharge purposes is a good idea, I guess in that case switching the mains off was a better plan of action but thats buried down the side of my bed which is currently obscured by a 6 way lead and some network cable hence the lazy.

16. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

It is true, this is why i said just to turn off at the psu and drain the powerby attempting to power on.

With the cable in the back it atleast gives you an earth and better static discharge.

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I always switch off at the PSU when going into the system.. Never encountered this problem. :p

18. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

QFT (This is second time that I have QFTed you). You are full of truth.

19. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Basically what's happening is your PC is waking up and going: "What? NOOOOOOOOO!" as you pull out it's innards.

20. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Hahaha, like a badly anesthesied patient in a liver amputation :eek: :lol: