1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Kobalt Comanche SLI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Aug 2008.

1. andrew@kobalt

andrew@kobalt What's a Dremel?

Hi kenco,

Thanks for the welcome!

Sure thing. There are various colour shift options with different colour combinations such as Gold-Green-Purple or Green-Purple-Blue etc.. The Gold ones tend to be a bit bling so the more subtle ones are more popular.

Here's one with the Green-Purple-Blue option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again it's very difficult to photograph so these were done outside on a sunny day (one of the few we've had this summer :rolleyes::hehe:), this is the same notebook taken at different angles to get the effect.

Payment terms over 25 years?! lol! Alas unfortunately not. We will be offering finance in the near future though.

Cheers
    Andrew

2. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

"And who watches a dead duck? Nobody, not even its mother. She just flies off, depressed. "

Actually, with ducks and geese, if one dies, its mate will often stay by the body for quite awhile. I've witnessed a male "standing guard" over its dead mate right in the middle of a six lane highway. When something causes a migrating goose to have to land (or it is shot by a hunter), its mate often follows the body down and frequently another pair may also follow them down too.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled comments.

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The other colour are far more appealing than the red IMHO.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Rubbish. No, wait, very, very expensive and rubbish.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Hmmm, Red paint job, this belongs to those same morons who would buy a purple Lamborghini or a yellow porsche.....they have lots of money but absolutely no class.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

For Dual 9800GT's in Sli and three hard drives, (amongst other bits n bobs) in a laptop, it's not over the top pricing, particularly as the 9800M gpu's have only recently been launched.

Also, why isn't there a hybrid gfx card? The 9800M's support hybrid power. This could have prolonged the battery life somewhat. Also, with the battery being screwed in, why is there the option to buy a 12-cell secondary battery?

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

looks about 50 times better than the red one:thumb:

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

It looks so much better in black/green that red...

Anyway, I can't really see what people see in these "laptops" (having them on your lap will probably obstruct the blood flow to your legs...), but they seems to be pretty popular, actually.

And WHY does manufacturers put these glossy screens on computers? They are useless unless you sit in a dark room! (OK, so they look sharper, but it's not worth it in most cases.)

Probably not. You'll get arrested for trying to steal the "black box" from a plane... (The black box isn't black)

9. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

all the glitter and spec's are nice but in the end ouch the price, me I'll take the box I just built with all the latest that interests me for just under
    $1200 usa

10. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Heh, I totally understand. That thing's not going to blend in no matter what color you paint it, though.

One of the more common uses I've seen for laptops like these is for soldiers on deployment - they can't take a full size computer with them (too big and it'd never survive shipping), but want something capable of gaming. Monster laptops are certainly not my cup of tea, but I guess they have their place. They're interesting as proof-of-concept pieces at the very least.

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

You really need to watch Alan Partridge....

A gaming laptop is such a strange beast, before getting a laptop I never got the idea of a "desktop replacement" but I can now see how sometimes it would be nice. I think if you have the money for a machine like that, then why not. You probably also have the money for a sub NB for train journeys and the like, though I imagine you would have a pretty sweet car if you could justify spending nearly 3K on a lappy.

I am glad companies make these laptops and people buy them, because it pushes the mobile technology even further, I can see that in the not too distant future those sorts of specs could become the mainstream midrange laptops.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

such high power-hungry GPU with 3 hard disk will never become midrange, only the performance of it will.

and speaking of performance, desktop offers better with lower price and money left over for a 20 year old's car insurance.

the best combo would be: beast gaming rig (that can at least play Crysis on High with a single graphics card) + iPhone :)

13. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

that thing is a big ugly red beast!

14. rollo

rollo Modder

nice laptop more money than any sain person will spend

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forums :) Awesome of you to respond.
    Now that I know the company is looking I think it would only be fair to explain my comment on the lack of design on your thing.
    Firstly: The images do absolutely not do your product justice. They could be miles better. But! Secondly: When you use a color like the Ferrari red you need some contrasting details (think black details/stripes/etc) to enhance and define the shape otherwise you end up with something looking like a (danish) royal mailbox. The red needs to be "locked down" so to speak... it's a visual thing and explaining it via text in a foreign language is a challenge... I hope you or perhaps your designers see the point. Taking a product and dipping it in red paint (or yellow or blue or whatever) isn't a very well thought out solution (in my honest opinion) especially when the shape of your product is as aesthetically bland as yours is.
    What it means is that when you have something with an un-attractive shape don't paint in one uniform screaming color.
    To make a metaphor around it: A bulging ugly girl isn't going to have the looks of a super model just because you dress her in a "the original" Ferrari (R) color jumpsuit. In that case you'll want to at least apply some eye-liner and details to the clothes to make it "work".

Cheers :)

16. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Q9540=Q9450?

17. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Do you mean to say that you are using desktop processors in a laptop? That might go some way to explaining the battery life!
    Anyway, this product is not for me and I echo the comments about the colour (good point Olej)
    One of the major minus points of a gaming laptop is that there is no easy way to overclock them, and if you do, then he cooling won't be adequate.

18. andrew@kobalt

andrew@kobalt What's a Dremel?

Yup we offer desktop Dual and Quad Core Processors up to the E8600 and the Q9650. It certainly does help explain battery life but that's because it's based on a desktop platform (P965 chipset with SLI) rather than a mobile platform (i.e Centrino / Centrino 2)

19. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Ooh, a P965 with SLI? Does that also mean that you are using the NVidia PCIe bridge chip then?
    Thanks for the quick reply though, very impressive! It must be a good cooler to cool a Q9650 and fit in a laptop.

20. deathbringer72

deathbringer72 What's a Dremel?

not bad but for the price i'm sure you could get a better spec laptop i actually prefer i normal pc which i can build and mod myself

Tags: Add Tags