Case Mod - In Progress Project: PrometheusCU - Update #54 - May 28 2010 - Video Teaser

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Langer, 18 Jul 2008.

1. mr-sb

mr-sb What's a Dremel?

Wow, I love those custom blocks too. Very nice mod indeed. Bookmarked ;)

2. RockMonster

RockMonster What's a Dremel?

Hi Langer,
    Only registered there yesterday eager to get in a praise on your built and attention to detail, top work...:eeek: Query on the water loop setup from your initial sketch?? As I'm in the process of Water cooling a ASUS Maximus Extreme Board myself so getting all the pre work done first. Your using only one Enhiem pump with a Manifold setup to distributed the water (Supply and Return) after passing through the triple radiator... how are you going to balance it as my understanding is that it will flow fastest through path of least resistance.. or are you worried about this... Are you overclocking the machine or is it purely for keepin the dB's down??

This is my shopping list so far (Any comments would be grately appreciated)
    MIPS are a must, nickle version hmmmm top of me list...
    Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di 775 water block..
    Probably two loops CPU Tygon 1/2" tubing, VRMs NB, SB Tygon 3/8"
    Pumps are Laing 12v with XPSC resevoirs fitted
    Thermochill 120.3 & 120.2, fitted with Noctua fans.
    What type of fittings are you going to use?? Barb or Compression, thinking of compression type either from Koolance or if the budget can stretch Bitspower.
    GPU block this will be an addtion later as I'll be changing out GPU cards to two 4870X2 nearer to Christmas.

Will be keep an close eye on your build.....eager to see finished product..:thumb:

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@mr-sb - Thanks very much, AquaComputer gets the credit though, they did a bang on job of bringing my vision to reality.

@RockMonster - It's always an honor to have inspired someones first post, so let me first thank you for that. Also, Welcome to the forums mate! As for my watercooling manifolds, I will be calculating the flows of each area and restricting the flow according to the needs of balance. I will be doing some slight overclocking, but it's mostly just for cooling efficiency, I don't mind the noise of fans at all... I just love the look of watercooling, and of course the benefits that go along with it. For fittings I'm using "Bitspower 1/2" HighFlow Dark Nickel Plated barbs". Mips makes quality and sexy looking gear (they've been kind enough to send me one of their "RAM Freezer 4 Nickel" units for this build, but it's not yet arrived) but if you plan on cooling the whole board I recently heard about "Watercool Heatkiller" products, which in my opinion come close to rivaling the sexy factor of AquaComputer. Here is an example pic of their products put to work. I'd still go for the aquacomputer sstuff if I were you... very low flow restriction and very efficient... not to mention sexy.

Small news update:

I've been honored with the privilege of having PrometheusCU showcased on the front page of TheBestCaseScenario!

Link

Last edited: 4 Sep 2008
  4. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

realy nice project !!
    nice idea of having water cooling on the pico-itx, I might "steal" that idea :hehe:
    and the build quality is realy amazing !

keep up the good work !

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Dark~3nergy - Thanks a lot man, and by all means please do... is that not the purpose of these forums - a means of sharing knowlegde/experiences with like minded individuals.

My machinist (who is doing all my work for free BTW) called me today declaring that he will work though the night if necessary, I'll have the prototype parts cut tomorrow. It's been a crazy time for him and I can't really hold anything against him considering the predicament, also he just moved his shop to a new building at the beginning of Sept.

I have a new dilemma however.

Corsair has been kind enough to provide 8GB(4x2gb) of Dominator 1066mhz RAM with no heat spreaders attached, only they've expressed a little caveat which has me thinking.

With these MIPS Computer GmbH has been very kind and has sponsored me with a RAM Freezer 4 memory waterblock:
    [​IMG]

However since Dominator ram has additional PCB height to aid in heat dissipation:
    [​IMG]
    I'm concerned that the Dominator RAM may not work with the RAM Freezer 4.

Of course I could ask Corsair to provide a RAM from the XPS series that does not have the extra height, but I'm waiting for MIPS Computer to get back to me with measurement specifications.

I've also taken delivery of a couple other aesthetic items this week, I'll have pics up tomorrow or early weekend.

Thanks for reading... and waiting... see you all soon.

6. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I wish I had a machinist... Just playing Langer.. I wish I could lay my hands on some MIPS stuff, my only option would be order from NCIX.com and wait who knows how long... The RAM Freezer is "way-cool"..
    Show us those " other aesthetic items".. I need to see...:naughty:
    MS

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Love those RAM coolers. Yeah I saw you on the front page of TBCS, congratz mate. I was featured there a few months back also.

8. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Modsquad - Have you considered eMailing MIPS Computer and asking them if they would ship to the US? That's what I did, in the end they ended up hooking me up with the RAM Freezer 4 Nickel. As for the other items... soon, very soon.

@The Boy 4m Oz - Thanks a lot mate. I can't wait for the cooler to arrive, I'm going to try and fabricate a copper top piece, and loose the nickel.

9. KaotiK

KaotiK What's a Dremel?

See if Coolermiester can give you any info on that cooler. He used one in his last Project.

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@KaotiK - lol, he was actually the 2nd person I contacted. Right after firing an email off to Mips Computer engineering department.

11. Dark~3nergy

gratz on your new sponsors ! :thumb:

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Dark~3nergy - Thanks mate!

Sorry for the delays folks, but my metal is still not cut (don't get me started... I'm pissed) and until it's installed I cant really do a whole lot else.

I decided to try my hand at fabricating panels from my fabric. These were soaked in resin and pressed at an obesene pressure of several thousand tonnes.
    [​IMG]
    You don't get this look from carbon decal!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next one is the closest thing to a definition of "indestructible" as you'll ever find. I don't know how many layers there are in this - but it's about a 1/2" thick. It will be used for a few structural components.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also got a few yards of copper mesh, I have a few plans for this stuff it looks really cool when wrapped tightly around wires and cables.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another generous donated product courtesy of Mach over at TheBestCaseScanario's forums. Some braided copper sleeve.
    [​IMG]

Lastly we've got 100' of 18gage copper flat wire to be wrapped around the black tubing for aesthetic reasons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also the metallic copper paint I ordered on July 27th is still not even shipped yet which is holding up some of my smaller mods.

I'm just playing the waiting game from now until when my metal is cut. I've done a few little things like lapping my GPU's and CPU, other than that noting big.

13. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Oh man, nice to see an update. I don't care if it's not 'real' progress or not. Both the CF and copper sleeving look damn sexy!

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Man I can't wait to see what you get up to with that copper and CF.

15. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

The copper sleeve looks great..

16. ThaNerd

ThaNerd What's a Dremel?

The first idea coming to my ming would be of having this copper mesh between two sheets of thin clear acryl, bent at will... However, i have no idea where you could have use for "that" in your mod...

How will you be able to cut that thick carbon fiber panel? Got a protozoïd lazer beam handy?

17. Dark~3nergy

nice materials !
    I'm intrested in your indestructible thing, what is it called and is it expensive ?

18. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Dark - wanna play shields with these? ;)

Langer - you really know how to get your materials! All that copper looks damn.. Yes, I'm envious! :D
    Don't mind the time you're waiting, we all know it'd be worth the wait - what's the saying now? Don't recall it now but I'm sure y'all know what I mean ;)

Happy modding (waiting) :D

/Frido

19. Dark~3nergy

Frido, I was thinking at something more "complex" :naughty:

20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@craigbru - As always, many thanks kind sir. I just sent you off an email response ;).

@The boy 4rm oz - Many plans... all will be revealed to those who wait =).

@modsquad - Thanks mate, copperhead is looking good btw!

@ThaNerd - The copper mesh will be used many places, I even plan on sewing it together to make cable sleeves. As for cutting the panels, I do my work in the evenings at a Carbon Fiber manufacturing plant - they have all the necessary tools at my disposal.

@Dark~3nergy - The uber panel of carbon was home made (sort of)... in the after hours of at a carbon fiber manufacturing plant. I copied the design protocols for a military project. The traditional application for this material is armour plating for a US military application - the specifics are *and I've waited my whole life to say this in literal context* top secret.... ooh yeah, that felt good. It is essentially about 12 'rigid' carbon panels pressed and heated together at 600 tonnes.

@Frido - It would work well for that considering that it is rated extremely high in ballistics deflection, and radar absorption. I get the carbon materials from my old man, who runs one of the worlds larger CF manufacturing companies. On another note I think your referring to: "All good things come to those who wait" or perhaps "Patience is a virtue"? The copper stuff comes from ebay and around the web - much hunting, browsing, and digging.