1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google launches Chrome browser

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Sep 2008.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

And then there's this:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Google Chrome isn't officially out yet, but security researchers have already picked the browser apart to discover a security vulnerability.
    The WebKit engine used inside Chrome leaves it vulnerable to the infamous Safari carpetbombing flaw, security researcher Aviv Raff warns. The flaw stems from a combination of a vulnerability in Apple Safari WebKit and a Java security bug, security blogger Ryan Naraine reports.
    As a result Windows users of the beta software might be tricked into downloading malicious files onto their desktop. Raff has published a harmless proof-of-concept exploit in order to illustrate his concerns.
    Apple patched the vulnerability with Safari v3.1.2, but the underlying software behind Chrome is based on older code, hence the vulnerability.
    Security watchers warn further vulnerabilities are bound to arise. Against this many are praising the speed and built-in security features of the browser. Chrome features built-in sandboxing for each tab, anti-phishing technology and a privacy (ie smut-surfing) mode.
    ------------------------------------------------------

off El Reg

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Nope - you own it, they just get a licence to use it. The licence is qualified by a restriction that it is for the "sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services."

Unless you're using Chrome to access Google Docs to edit some mission critical top secret documents, who cares? For personal browsing, it's irrelevant - I don't care if Google reproduces, modifies, translates etc. this post to their heart's content. As if they'd want to.

So here's the thing - this is a public beta of open source software that they are giving away for free. Don't like the licence? Don't install it.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Quite right but then who reads the eula. Things like this should be highlighted not just subtly slipped into the eula. What if one of the bit guys or even a blogger wrote a review for chrome using chrome, google would be free to use content written for a commercial entity in what ever manner they chose with out sending any of the ad/other revenue there way.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

You are all aware that the eula included with the first version of chrome is just a carbon copy of there google apps eula, it's just some peon who screwed up and it will change with the next version.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'm just using it and, EULA or not, I like the look and feel and I have to say "Geeeeeeez... light speed, eh?".

Still I'll have to wait for the real thing to decide if this is going to replace my trusty FF... don't think so.

6. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

it is posted on ars that they are aware and going to change it retroactivly so that it is not so evil sounding.

7. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

anyone else noticed that a laptops touch pads scroll up strip doesn't work? I can scroll down fine but it wont scroll up! anyone else noticed this? bug perhaps...

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Seems really nice, extremely fast. My scroll pad doesn't work either, I'm on an Eee PC. There isn't a fullscreen mode, as far as I can tell, which sucks for me.

I like how in the EULA, they reserve the right to publicly perform this post. :D

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

If it's better than firefox then I'll switch

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

My scroll bar works fine in both directions, both horizontal and vertical.

11. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

OPERA is still the best!!! I"m so sick of firefox crashing all the time so I switched to IE for my second browser, the only problem with opera I've ever encountered is at DeviantArt where the online chat works about half the time :/ maybe this will fix all my poblems lol.

12. seanap

seanap What's a Dremel?

I'm having the same "issue" as Soldius. On my HP DV9000 the trackpad scrolls down but not up. Quite interesting I'd say.

However, as expected, my normal mouse works in both directions...

13. seanap

seanap What's a Dremel?

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

As a photographer and artist, I care quite a bit. If I used Google's Chrome browser to upload some of my work to Photobucket or Flickr, Google would be able to grab my photo and use it to their heart's content, without my permission. Although it can be argued that I gave permission by agreeing to the EULA, I don't like the idea of Google potentially taking my work. Sorry, but if Google wants to use my art in their ads, I expect fair compensation.

However, I do agree with you:
    At any rate, it looks like word has spread and Google is backtracking a bit:
    Google edits Chrome EULA

-monkey

15. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

A little late, but posting in an Epic thread!

16. si-

si- What's a Dremel?

Please get a clue

:wallbash: May I have some of what you're smoking please?

Java - Security is actually very good (feel free to post any recent exploits to back up your claim, otherwise I call ********) and any version in the last few years is actually pretty damm fast. Not quite C/C++ speeds, but they have optimised it well and it comes down to the quality of the developer writing the code. I think you may have meant Javascript, which is totally different language and runtime to Java, and is where the new V8 engine comes in, and that is smokin' fast in Chrome!

AJAX - typically means Javascript + Xml (or JSON) using asynchronous (non-blocking) communication using the XmlHttpRequest API. It's just a neat way to avoid reloading a whole page when you only want to change a part of the page. Ironically, Microsoft actually came up with this. So...faster Javascript engine = faster AJAX, no voodoo going on.

Chrome - Is NOT written in Java, it's mostly written in C++, I'm looking at the source code as I type this.
    Chrome - Is MEANT to be cross-platform, so Aero integration will (probably) never be 100%
    Android - Uses the same layout/HTML/DOM engine as Chrome (Webkit's WebCore), so what?

Perhaps you've confused the Java environment developed to create Android applications (via Eclipse plugin, etc) with Chrome, but either way, please educate yourself some more before spouting such rubbish.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2008
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Through the medium of interpretive dance. :p

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I wont be using it in the current state for one reason. I get updates from bit on all the threads I post in. When I follow the link from the E-Mail, in Chrome it takes me to the end of the page, Firefox takes me to the first new post since the last time I visited the forums.

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Day two with Chrome, and so far, it's crashed over 30 times... Don't even try streaming video with it. I do love how it handles text boxes though. Resizing them and all. It's annoying how it automatically makes my text italicised on some websites, and bold on others.

20. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Hmmm. I understand your argument from a theoretical standpoint, but really, what is the likelihood that Google would actually do that? I just thought the whole EULA thing was blown out of proportion. Which brings me on to...
    Quelle surprise - storm in a teacup quelled.

Tags: Add Tags