1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Car door lock relay

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stealthrt, 9 Oct 2008.

1. Stealthrt

Stealthrt What's a Dremel?

Hey all i am trying to figure out the best way to hook up one of the digital out pins on a ATmega168 chip to my car's door lock/unlock buttons without frying the board...

What all would be needed in order for the output pin to activate the relay needed for the wires to act as if the user was pushing the car's lock/unlock buttons?

I know i would need a 12v line to the relay but what else am i missing that i am not thinking about?

David

2. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Have a look at the Haynes motor manual for you car, It will show you which pins you will need on the central locking ecu.
    As far as I know there available world wide.

3. Stealthrt

Thank you for your reply AJB2K3 :)

Hum maybe i should ask the question another way...

In order for the door to lock and unlock.. how much voltage is used? When the user pushes the button to ether lock or unlock the door... how much voltage does that wire get in order to start the mechanism? I take it 12v since it uses a 12v relay on both doors? Do i just spice in the between the door lock button wire and the relay itself?

Here is my schematic of my door locks..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the noob question :)

David

4. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Pass, cant see the path atm, will have another look tommorow.

5. Stealthrt

The way i look at this is after going through the relay i have on the board i would then hook the wire up to the BR-L wire (Unlock) or the BR-W wire (lock) but i am not sure if thats where i would need to splice in order for it to work.... or what voltage is needed to trigger the Door Lock Power Relay.

David

6. ZERODESIGN

ZERODESIGN What's a Dremel?

Get your multi meter out and connect it the the lock release solenoid. It should be around 12-13 volts to a ground, im not sure of what amperage you will need as it will vary from one solenoid to another

7. Stealthrt

Yeah im sure it is within the 12v-14v range. I just need to find out where i need to hook up the wire in order for it to "act" as if i pushes the button for either lock or unlock.

David

8. thim83

thim83 What's a Dremel?

Just check it with a tester