1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics line follower robot

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kazama, 1 Aug 2008.

1. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

hi, i want some advice on building a line follower robot. This is my project for this semester. I use a pic16f877a to control the robot. Now im in progress to search a circuit that is use PIC16f877a and also use servo or dc motor. I want to know which is better, using a servo motor or a dc motor?. It is because there is a competition among us, which robot is faster. Hope your advice make my project progress faster.

2. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

DC is the way to go. take a peek at the sandwich bot if you haven't seen it yet. it uses 2 dc motors and a comparitor to turn the motors on and off. 2 guys in my class built them from scratch for there projects

3. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

i'd say servo...

more acceleration
    more speed
    closed-loop

the speed will probably rely more on the type of sensors you use and how you implement your control software

4. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

A modded servo is the very best and also the cheepest method as it also has motor controller and feedback circuitry.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Not sure if servo will increase speed due to the increase in processing time? However it will increase accuracy by a margin - which I suppose in return would mean less correction which would then save time.

6. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

If the PIC is running a 1hz clock, then it might affect it.

Chance are its running a 4Mhz clock, which is 1 line of code every 25 micro seconds.
    Or 1 operation every 1 micro second.

7. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the respond. Im still blurred with the planning to build the robot. Still not start the project, because im still new in the PIC programming and in process to learn the PIC architecture. I have found a circuit, but not using a PIC that i'm using right now and i'm still searching the best circuit that is using either one of 2 motors that i have mention before. I'm also planning to use a colour IR sensor as a black line sensor. I have 4 servo right now, for saving my money i can use that servos. If not i can buy a dc motor. But the important thing that i need is a circuit.

i have 2 sanwa RC servo, which is been taken from my RC car, i just want to know weather this servo can rotate 360. It is because i have read some articles about servo, and they show some pictures on modding the servo, so the servo can rotate 360.

8. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

My project is about 60% finish. But i have a problems with the coding. i just want to know on how to use pwm to set the motor speed. i think my coding i wrong. hope you guys can guide me to correct it. Here is my coding: