1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ECS tips hat to X58B-A Black Series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I like the colour scheme...

The single molex over by the PCI-E connecter is instant fail though. There must be a better way than draping a cable all the way across the mobo like that...

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It looks like a good board, I know a lot of people who would buy something like this. The types that think they might want SLI/crossfire or more ram in the future, but are probably never going to overclock or use extra mobo features. As long as it hits the right price point...

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

When will we see a full review of this?

5. salesman

salesman Minimodder

No floppy or ide?

6. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Looks like it, which is a welcome development.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Good spot :thumb:

Probably, if they sell it in the UK.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ill hold my judgement till the reviews r out.

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Does anyone actually use dual-NICs outside of a server environment?

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

At least they got the guts to ditch the FDD and IDE connectors. This saves controler hardware and connectors. To bad they didn't extend the sata range to 8 or 10.

It probably will be cheap(er) then the rest of the bunch although we must see the AsRock x58 boards first. I guess for normal operations it will be good enough.

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

just out of curiosity: is this the first mainstream board to do this? In that case, WIN!

Too bad about the failplug by the PCI, and that Qooltech sticker just gets the kill.
    Then again, i like the color scheme, and the simple approach is also nice.

I'd have to see how it performs :p

12. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Not a lot of black on that motherboard... yeah know... being a "Black Edition" and all, I figured it'd look mean and angry like the Foxxconn Black Ops. Instead I was greeted with a colorful rainbow. Doesn't look all that interesting, and *only* $260? I think I'd just pickup a P45 or a P55 board for around $200 and get all the fancy pants power regulations, flux capacitors, 1.21 gigawatt power regulators, hyper-space drive, dilithium core, and light saber holster all in one, from the likes of Asus or Gigabyte.

13. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

one ethernet cable to a broadband connection, the other to a laptop (either yours or a friends).

This is especially handy at university where you don't have a router/hub, only a single network port on the wall - if you want to quickly transfer stuff between your PC and a friend's or your own laptop, an ad-hoc gigE is about the fastest way of doing it.

14. tuaamin13

tuaamin13 What's a Dremel?

It might not be that bad though. What you could do is run the molex down the side of your case on the case window side (since everyone has case windows), but tuck it more towards the edge (since most case windows aren't pure plexi, so they have a bit of a frame). You'd have to have some extra slack though to open/close the case enough for you to secure/unsecure the wires, but if you don't open your case too often it won't be horrible.

It might also be possible to get the cable under the motherboard, and come up near the PCIe slot, but that's really dependent on your motherboard tray and the stuff you've got plugged into the board.

I agree though, I dislike these extra power connector requirements. At least put them near an accessible edge of the board.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not a requirement - the molex is entirely optional. Just don't use it.

Tags: Add Tags