1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia (Zotac) GeForce GTX 285 1GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

It seems to me that in years past when they launched a new architecture once every 1-2 years and a refresh 6-12 months later, this would have been heralded as a very successfull refresh ... but when they try and launch it as simply another tier it seems a bit weak ?

Does this mean we can expect another 55nm card or two in upcoming months for the more mid-end market or are they likely to leave it as is ?

3. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

So, in the end, its not even worth it, 3FPS max diferrence with a standar 280 :S.
    Coonsumtion is 5Watts at the most in diference and:
    If we going straight to overcloacking.

EVGA 285 Clocked Edition. : 429.00 USD
    Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Core clock: 702MHz
    Stream Processors: 240 processing cores
    Memory Clock: 2646MHz
    DirectX: DirectX 10
    OpenGL: OpenGL 2.1
    HDMI: 1 via Adapter
    DVI: 2

VS.

ZOTAC Clocked 280 Edition: : 339.00 USD
    Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Core clock: 700MHz
    Stream Processors: 240 processing cores
    Memory Clock: 2300MHz
    DirectX: DirectX 10
    OpenGL: OpenGL 2.1
    HDMI: 1 via Adapter
    DVI: 2

Im getting 2x280's
    At least it did not convice me

4. SiliconDoc

SiliconDoc What's a Dremel?

The 4870 is a huge heat and powr HOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
    Look at those charts, it's sucking the life out of the outlet even in idle... it's cranked to the limit on core and the mem must be burning hot as well - it's a heat island that causes global warming - forget the 4870 in any flavor - even the 512 sucks the lifeforce from the electric outlet.
    What pennies you save buying it, you will swallow the first month in your electric bill.
    It sure looks like the 260 is the way to go if you have a dual pci-e 16x/xxx slot capability.
    Everyone yakks about power consumption - time the truth is told about the gigantic fat pig hog the 4870 - power sucking monster of the season.

5. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Didn't see anything in the article about overclocking, is there something coming with those results in?

6. TRG

TRG What's a Dremel?

tank-rider: they had a rough time getting the article finished, so they may add an overclocking section. You can expect it to be roughly proportional to the overclockability of the GTX 280, relative to stock clock speed. That is about as accurate as the reviews here, since they can't garuntee that the samples they recieved from nvidia and partners don't overclock paticularily well.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

It may be the fastest single GPU card to date but an GTX280 is still the better buy but I can get CrossFire 4870 for the same price an a GTX280 so I would go for that lol.

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

The 4850 is hot because the base of the cooler that touches the die is copper, the rest of the base is either iron or aluminium (from the colour of cutting it in half) its just painted copper colour on the outside...
    The fins are also aluminium, painted copper colour...not very good for heat dissipation, especially with the fan running at stock.
    It has been known for months that the Radeons have too low default fan speeds...

The 4870 is fine, with the fan at 50%.
    Its sitting right next to my 8800GTS-320 which can't be used even for folding at home unless I use it as my primary monitor....goodbye physX too unless you are using a nVidia primary display...

Anyway, the new 260-216 does look like the way to go atm, if you set the fan speeds right, like with all of the cards today...

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've been playing around with an oscilloscope this afternoon and my concerns about power supply whistling have come true. There's A LOT of AC noise. :eeek:

10. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

Thank you Tim and fantastic review! You have vindicated my criticisms of substandard ATI drivers! :) Derek Wilson of Anandtech has been also going on for a while about how poor ATI drivers are for Multi GPU but he has been denounced as an ATI hater! Don't worry Tim, the ATI brigade are coming for you too...poor guy

Truly the GTX285 is the fastest card hands down. Multi GPU really should not be considered as competition for Single GPUs and FWIW Nvidia drivers are far better due the TWIMTBP programme.

I have been very happy since I sold off my stuttering POS 4870CF 512 setup for GTX260 216 in SLI. Its all about driver support and Nvidia dominate that sphere and will always get my money! Just my 2 pence ;)

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

just becoz im not a fan of multi-gpu (either 1 slot or multi-slot), this will be my best bet. had too much issue with SLI and dual-gpu-1-slot cards. just not worth the hassle.

IMHO no point of going 280 if 285 is available, albeit the small difference. becoz its still different and the chipset is different size. and newer, which translates to longer support.

the only issue is value. ill wait till it drop below $350 one day, and ill pick one.

good card tho.

12. dec

dec [blank space]

why did nvidia bother with this thing? it seems like a waste of time and money to me. just let the 4870 and GTX280 compete with each other (assuming nvidia puts GTX280's at the same price as 4870's) and start working on the next series of cards or drivers or something. This just sounds like nvidia is saying "hey i got the fastest card now hahahahaha take that"

13. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

It's essentially a 280 with a few tweaks transitioned to an improved manufacturing technology, it may not cost them less to make yet but you can bet it will do when the process is sufficiently matured, at which point it's faster, less power hungry, cooler and more profitable, how could they not do it ?

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

And it's meant to take the place of the GTX280 so GTX280 prices will drop once retailers start getting the GTX285.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

4870 1GB competes with GTX260 216sp, GTX280 is already the fastest out there.

i guess they just wanted some publicity, they could perfectly well do a gtx260 65nm->55nm, where they silently switch over with a cleap cooler to make some money.

16. eXpander

eXpander What's a Dremel?

What are the idle frequencies for the GTX285 compared to an ATi HD4870? I`m not counting the X2, cuz they're 2 GPU`s.

And i also don't remember reading about noise levels.

Cheers!

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol looks like the evga fanbois aren't happy.. go back to your pathetic fanboy board doc- maybe you and talonman can have a party in each others mouth

this is just looks like another refresh.. nvidia style.. hey tim what's with the noise you were getting on the oscilloscope.. saw that on your twitter- that's interesting- how does it compare to other cards

Last edited: 17 Jan 2009
  18. Kronenbourg1664

Kronenbourg1664 Minimodder

Sorry to be pedantic but I've just spotted a small error in the graph for peak power consumption, the AMP is labelled as a 280 and not the 285 ;)

19. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

Wow.Take it easy N-vidio...The 4870 is one great card.I have a 8800 gtx and recently upgraded to a Sapphire Toxic 4870 1 Gig, and i can tell you that for the price, the 4870 is the best card you and anyone can dream of.My card is neither hot nor loud.
    As for the drives, i haven't had any problem with the CCC drivers yet and I've been using my card for over two months now .So your talking crappp here.

Thanx to AMD, we can get a respected graphics card for an affordable price now.

20. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

For the price of the GTX 285 I don't think I'd get it, the GTX 280 is roughly $90.00 less and offers close to the same performance, that of course it not including some overclockage :D

Tags: Add Tags