1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Lian Li PC-G50 Silver "Reloaded" - New Better Quality Pics....I guess....08/02/2009

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PTModder, 21 Nov 2008.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Am I blind or why can I not seem to find the plug for the motherboard power? :lol: Have you hidden it?

2. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

If you look closely you can just see it under the IDE cable.

3. PTModder

PTModder What's a Dremel?

Some more pics....

@jhanlon303 - I bet he did... that bone hurts like hell when something like that happens....:hehe:

@InferiorPlanets - I dont drink beer.... just wine :naughty: (if its expensive...well...even better!:hehe:) Thanks

@Fumduck - Well..its called : "use what you have" method... i usually try to use everything i can from the original case to make my mods ...i still have some spare parts here from it... i got to see what i will do to them...:dremel::eyebrow:

@Talladega - This motherboard is really tricky about that if you want to use an IDE cable cause the IDE conector is right beside the power conector so the solution was to make the motherboard tray hole a little bit larger and cover the power cables with the IDE cable on top of it.

@Bradders2125 - exactly!:lol:

Now this part i didnt show because my camera really his messed up but today i managed to take some very crappy pics about the front part of the case where the PSU fan is and where the power cable for it gets routed to...
    Warning: Really crappy pictures....:grr:

I dont know if you can see but the original fan for the PSU is on the outside of the PSU case and gets bolted to the case extracting the hot air from inside the PSU.
    [​IMG]

This part needs to be cut to the right size of the fan (140mm)
    [​IMG]

This is where the power cable (220V) gets inside the case...
    [​IMG]

And gets right to the back of the motherboard tray...
    [​IMG]

Going on until it gets in the PSU being directly connected on the inside....
    [​IMG]

And thats all for now folks!
    Really sorry for the crappy pictures but as you can see the camera really is F****ed up...
    I got to get a new one....:eyebrow::grr:

4. PTModder

Big help needed....

Guys...
    How do i get the pump to not cause so much vibration noise over the case?
    Its almost unbearable to listen to it working... i´ve already undid the 18watt mod and it still gets noisy like hell....
    Help.....:wallbash:

EDIT: Even with a sponge double sided adhesive pad it makes noise.....

Last edited: 28 Dec 2008
  5. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Does the pump make noise even when it's not in the case (ie, running in your hand or something)? Might just be the pump. The pad should dampen any vibrations if there's not metal to case contact (like screws).

Not having done the watercooling/pump thing, take my advice with a grain or two of salt.

6. PTModder

Well @ the moment the pump is only secured by this double sided adhesive to the floor of the case, no screws and not touching the floor of the case directly, since its a provisory situation until i make the inner panels and in my hand only it doesn make the noise so loud , but it still does..its really annoying...
    My problem is when i move her to the 5.25 cage she keeps doing this horrible noise.... i really dont whant to swap the pump with my mcp55 one cause its too big for what i want to do....

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

it could be your pump. I have the same one except with a custom top sold by Petra's Tech Shop. Mine is totally silent. I have it screwed onto the case and have some soft stuff called 'Gel Stuff' (sold at petras tech shop) under the pump as well.

But see if it is still noisy in your hand or if its vibrating like crazy. Most likely is the pump thats wrong.

8. PTModder

Well in my hand she does vibrate a lot...gets silent but vibrates... guess i will have to change to the mcp55... that is going to mess my plans a lot...
    Back to sketchup in my mind again :grr: one more night waked up thinking of a solution to this :sigh:

9. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Wierd. My DDC-2 was dead silent. Of course it vibrates but not that much? :S

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

ya, a tiny amount of vibration is normal but if it's excessive then theres something wrong with it

11. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Get some antivibration grommets?

Maybe you can suspend the pump with velcro, although I dont know how safe that'd be :S

12. ModMinded

Like yeknom said, maybe you can try other sound/vibration dampening material (something softer? Wanna throw up a pic of what you're currently using?

13. PTModder

Ok guys im on my lunch break right now but here it is...
    [​IMG]

This is the best i can do right now but i can say that its because of the vibration that i "feel" the noise of it working. Im going at my work today and see if i can find anything that can act as a dampening for the vibration or else i will have to change the pump.

14. ModMinded

Yeah thanks for the pic. Did you make sure that the pump sides aren't contacting the case walls? That stuff attached to the bottom seems like it should work, although it looks like it isn't as "absorbant" as I'd think you should have. It seems more dense than spongy.
    As a test, can you try it with just a normal kitchen sponge for example?

15. PTModder

@ModMinded - i just found out whats going on and why the vibration noise...
    In fact i went to my work to search for something that i could use to kill the vibration and i got surprised when i used what i found.

I used these...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So.. i divided it in 4 pieces and made 4 small holes on the top of the pump and then i got it suspended by these on the 5,25 bays.
    It was then that i found that the vibration is getting spreaded by the tubbing to the reservoir and if i get the reservoir leaned to any part of the case the humming of the vibration appears again....:duh::duh:

So now i have decided to exclude the reservoir and i will be using a fillport on a "T" joint and use the pump suspended because like that i dont have any vibrations at all or humming...

EDIT: HAPPY NEW YEAR BIT-TECHERS...:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::rock: :rock: :rock: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::hehe:

16. PTModder

Hi to all!!!

I know that i've been missing for almost a month but i´ve been working in Angola and there the internet almost doesnt exist..but i´ll tell you guys about that later.

Right now i just want to say to all that the case has evolved a little bit more and i will show you guys some pics by the end of the day....
    see you soon!

17. PTModder

Not the best update but... here it is!

Now like i told before i´ve been in Angola for the past month and got back to Portugal the past week and since i dont have much time because i have to get back to Angola i decided to make a run for it on the updates here. So i got to work.... and i´ve worked really hard on it!

I think the pics will speak for themselves....
    (Sorry for the cellphone pics but my new camera stayed in Angola)

The new Front....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new DVD cover panel...
    [​IMG]

Now this will be a bit of a shock for some people:D ....
    It still needs some more sanding with the 2000 grit paper to get that better looking finish...
    [​IMG]

Now another different aspect of the inside...
    ALL the inside of the case was filled with soft foam that i got from a piece of hardware that came to my work one day so i thought i might use it...and i did !
    Also on the following pics you will see the mcp pump mounted in a way that there isnt ANY vibration or noise produced along with the reservoir and the new loop for the watercooling and as you can see i still have space to sell on this case!!!!!:rock:
    Let the pics speak!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: I have also a different type of news today. The family as just got bigger with a new member joining....

Please meet Mr.Oscar!:clap::D
    [​IMG]

18. ModelMaker

ModelMaker What's a Dremel?

aww my cat's name is Oscar, cute lab (or is it a golden?) the case looks great, love the apple logo on the side panel, my laptop is a macbook pro and that thing is solid as can be :) The case looks clean as can be, great job! Hope you're healing well, take it easy at work; working with an injury tends to bring about more of them.

Cheers - J

19. ModMinded

About time we had a puppy picture in a mod log! :thumb: :awwwww:

I really like that side panel shot, keep up the good work! Good to see you back... Angola must have been wild... I can almost remember life without the internet. :)

20. PTModder

@Modelmaker- Thanks for your kind words. And yes, it is a Labrador puppy....

@ModMinded- I agree with you! :lol: The side panel still has a lot of work to be done... i plan to make something like the macbooks light on that side panel... thought i still dont really know how but i will ge it done.
    Oh yes!!! Angola is pretty awesome and wild... the only place i was able to get internet was near the Luanda Bay near to the rich part of town... also cell phones get pretty messed up in there too, theres almost no signal outside Luanda.