1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Lian Li PC-G50 Silver "Reloaded" - New Better Quality Pics....I guess....08/02/2009

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PTModder, 21 Nov 2008.

1. PTModder

PTModder What's a Dremel?

After a long year of not building a mod and mainly because of some troubles i had with a few less good coments on another thread i had here on bit tech i now have the oportunity of build a new modding on an almost vintage case.
    This mod will also work as a reconciliation with myself as a person and also as a new cycle on my personal life aswell since i got a new job and im a bit more happy now than a year ago.

The case its a Lian Li Pc-G50 Silver and the name "Reloaded" is because its a case that hardly can now be found on the market because i believe that its not made already by Lian-Li... At least i cant find it anymore on the Lian-li´s web site and it as been hard to find it on stores here were i live.
    [​IMG]

This is a project that will take some time to its final because the money isnt much and things have to be done a little bit more slow. The case will arrive from Spain on the 9th of December and at that time i will make my first update to this thread with all the ideas that i have for it and some more goodies that i will show you by then....

See you later and thanks for reading.:thumb:

Last edited: 8 Feb 2009
  2. PTModder

Some Ideas...

So as i was here on this beautiful Sunday morning and as my case only arrives on the 9th i started to have some ideas about what i want to do to the insides of the case so i went and searched a few reviews about this case and it got me pretty much an idea about the PSU position on this case.

As you can see by the picture below the PSU stays in front of the CPU. What a waste! (And of course i really hate it!)
    [​IMG]

Now the idea is to remove the PSU from there up to the front of the case but as always lian-li made something on this case that doesnt really help.....
    [​IMG]

So what to do?

I started thinking and i´ve come up with a solution. Make a aluminium plate for the bottom of the case so that the rear of the PSU gets down on the floor of the case and the PSU fan stays on the front of the case....i really dont know if you can understand what i just said.... its dificult to imagine without the case here.... but i made a cad drawing of the plate....
    [​IMG]

This will be the plate were the PSU will be bolted and then will stay on the floor of the case in the front.....

So tell me what you guys think of this idea... will it work?

P.S.- Of course the PSU will have to be modded aswell so that the power cord can be redirected to the end of the case and also the rear of the case will have to be modded to eliminate the hole that stays were the PSU should be.... this will be a good chalenge!

Last edited: 23 Nov 2008
  3. mortadelo

mortadelo What's a Dremel?

Take a look a this mod. It's similar to what you want to do but on a v600 (same side-psu layout).
    I love these small ATX cases lian li are showing, but I prefer the A05 with the psu up front. It still has heat issues near the gpu.

4. PTModder

Thanks for the link, it as been very helpful...though im going to do it a little bit diferent....

5. PTModder

hey ...where are the people that can exchange some ideas with me? no one?

6. PTModder

Ok guys my case was only to arrive on the 9th as just arrived at my door!!!! im really excited with the case and after i get some dinner ( i didint even had lunch today because of work) i will open the case and start my project log showing you the pics of the case live in my hands and trying to show you guys whats going on my mind for this project!
    See you soon in a couple of hours!!!!
    (Damn im really excited!!!!)

7. PTModder

Not an update but......

Hi to all...
    First of all i need to apologize to all of you by my lack of updates but i had a accident at work on for the past weeks i´ve been unable to do almost nothing... ( i do vertical climbing works and one of the ropes broke so i had a pretty good fall until the security rope got me... you can imagine the rest...).

Im almost ok since i broke one hand and a few ribs (2) but as soon as i can i will update properly this thread and start my work log again.

Once again sorry for the lack of updates and see you soon.

Regards,

PtModder.

8. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Ouch, sorry to hear that! Good luck on healing and count yourself lucky that the security rope was working.:thumb:

9. PTModder

@ModMinded
    Thanks for your concern and thanks for dropping by.
    I had two security ropes on me with diferent heights... i got caught up by the first one and then got slammed against the wall of the building below a window...
    Lucky doesnt get its share in this...i always try to work with two safety ropes and try to be safe. This was my first severe accident...

Once again my modding gets delayed .... next week i´ll probably have an update (smal one of course since i only can work with one hand) .

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Glad to hear your ok, sorry to hear about the broken hand and ribs. Have a quick recovery.

11. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Hey now, no need to say sorry. You couldn't help you had an accident. It happens to the best of us no matter how safe and prepared you may be. We're just glad to hear you're ok and you'll be back in action! :thumb:

12. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

Feel Good dude!
    don't worry .. We are here .. We have no where to go!

13. PTModder

@Mansueto - I will.Thank you.

@Twentynine - I know that accidents happen... i just got scared to death with this one.... and yes this time i will complete my project no matter what happens!:wallbash:

@Arkadur - My God!!!! you actually live here in the forum!!!!?????:lol: ..... looooool Thanks!

14. PTModder

The best i could do with only one hand.....

So im feeling a bit better from my ribs and my hand doesnt give me almost no pain so i decided to do what i could do with a hand with cast and the good hand .... this the result of 2 days of work to get it up and running so i could use my computer and get something going on on my modd.
    This isnt finished but its what i could do for now... i´m really a stain at sketching so i will try to tell you in words what will be going on fro this point as it is now.

My digital camera is all messed up because of a day that it got into water so dont expect decent pictures as i will only be able to buy a decent camera at the end of this month...
    Lets move on....

So this is how she is at the moment with all the hardware inside up and running...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the modding i did on the PSU.... I have to say that this is some of the leftovers from cutting the window on the side panel and its covering the PSU holes of the power plug that was removed and the on/off button that was removed too... the PSU was modded to get conected on the inside of it by a direct cable.
    [​IMG]

on this photo you can actually see the conections behind it....
    [​IMG]

And the rest of the photos are overall shots of how it all rests for now....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the back of the case where the PSU was to be mouted by lian-li´s design and using the same leftovers from the window cut i did this...
    [​IMG]

And this is the solution that i found for the HD....
    [​IMG]

Notice that the HD is directly bolted to the DVD drive because thats all the space i need for the watercooling parts to use when its ready for it.
    This configuration is only temporary, the radiator will be painted silver and will be turned to the other side.
    There will be a costum made plate separating the PSU and rack mounts from the rest of the case so that when you look inside of it with the side panel you can only see the motherboard and the tubbing for the watercooling blocks.
    On the side panel i´m planning on doing an apple logo that will be iluminated when the computer turns on just like what you see on Apple´s notebooks.
    The hole case will be iluminated by white CCFL´s and the water liquid will be as white as i can find ( not sure yet about this...)

Hope to see you soon...
    Please leave you sugestions and coments ....
    Thanks for watching!

15. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Nice cable management! Can't wait to see how it turns out when you can use both hands, and not worry about your ribs!

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Doing better with one hand than I can do with two! Very nice work.

john - I been watchin

17. PTModder

@Modminded - I´m getting there... But on certain movements i still get that strange felling of something not ok... i really cant explain in english... a mist of small pain and being very unconfortable... thanks by your opinion.

@jhanlon303 - Its an honor to have you watching my thread sir. Although i dont make a lot of coments on your threads i do watch them and your work is absolutely amazing. Thank you for your coment ... i will try not to disapoint you or the Bit.Techers on this mod.

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I cracked 3 ribs and collapsed a lung Jan 5th, 2005. Hurt like heck. The ribs were the pits! Nothing to do for them except find a semi-comfortable position to sit and try not to move. It took like forever for them to get back to 'normal'. Still I get a pain when I cough deeply or lay wrong sleeping.

Could be worse - I had a co-worker slipped on the ice and sat down hard on a parking curb. The cement things that stop your car. Cracked his tailbone. He said bad words for months.

john

19. InferiorPlanets

InferiorPlanets Worshiping the SilverStonehenge™

Glad to see that you're recovering! I read about your fall one morning at 4am before going to work and didn't expect to see you back so soon!

I would say to kick back and take it easy, but when I was out with a back injury from my job for 3 months I was medicated and modding!

Sage words of advice: Beer, painkillers, and rotary tools DO NOT ensure strait cuts! Still, it's fun to try!:worried:

I hope you heal and feel well soon PT!:dremel::D

20. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Nice work so far. I like how you used the metal you removed for the window to make the brackets for the PSU.

Really sorry to hear about your accident, and happy to hear you are recovering. Don't worry about how long it takes you to get back to this project. We will all still be hear reading. :)