1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Computer Management won't start

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Rapp, 9 Mar 2009.

1. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

When I try to run computer management I get this error

MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

Name: Computer Management

CLSID: {58221C67-EA27-ADCF-00AA00A80033}

[​IMG]

I'm running 64-bit Vista has anyone got any idea's??

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Go Start, Run, and type in compmgmt.msc
    Or just type it into the Vista search box and hit enter
    If that produces the same thing (which it more than likely will)
    Try diskmgmt.msc as well, which is part of Computer Management.

If that doesn't load either, try a repair install of Windows or a System Restore.

Or alternatively, if diskmgmt.msc DOES load, then it may just mean the Computer Management window is corrupted, and you can still get to the parts inside in a similar fashion to running diskmgmt.msc.
    Which part of Computer Management are you trying to access? If you go to the Administrative Tools folder in Control Panel, right click one of the shortcuts and you will see something like "%SystemRoot%\system32\taskschd.msc /s"; if you type taskschd.msc into Vista search box it will run the Task Scheduler. Handy huh? ;)
    However, this is assuming the diskmgmt.msc mentioned above works, but Computer Management still won't.

3. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

Thanks for the reply, I can get to all of these by just typing them in and they all seem to work fine diskmgmt.msc, taskschd.msc, taskschd.msc I was just after disk management stuff but have sorted that out now. Not sure why I can't access computer management though.

I was trying to find out why my machine seems to think that it has a floppy disk drive when it hasn't got one and was hoping I could find something in the computer management.

Have you got any other idea's as to what the problem could be??

4. Dark_Master_Dragon

Dark_Master_Dragon Beware of my lair!!!

Well

Maybe its just that your computer management wont load because its kinda slow gice it some time pal ^_-:wallbash::D

5. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

no its not that either have left it there for over 10 mins when I was on the phone earlier today

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

It may be that you have the floppy drive enabled in the BIOS. Change this to "Disabled" (or similar) if you haven't got one installed.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

If you are familiar with the registry, try browsing to HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID and see if {58221C67-EA27-ADCF-00AA00A80033} exists and is not corrupted somehow.

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Seconded.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If it still doesn't want to play ball, try opening an administrative command prompt and run the command:
    sfc /scannow
    You may be prompted to insert your Vista disc.

10. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

sorry to bring up an old topic but my problem is still there and I've only just got the time to try and fix it again.

This is the closest that I have come to being able to fix the problem however the last command didn't work for me. I'm sure it normally says that the dll has been registered if it works correctly.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service...447626+1244475463070+28353475&threadId=606477

when I ran sfc/scanow there were some errors with mycomput.dll but they couldn't be replaced as the backup versions were also corrupt.

HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID and see if {58221C67-EA27-ADCF-00AA00A80033} is in the registery but I couldn't tell if there was anything wrong with it or not.

11. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Try this:
    regsvr32 -s C:\Windows\System32\mycomput.dll

12. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

tried that it doesn't seem to do anything, shouldn't it say registered or something if it has worked??

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Yeah, it should do. TBH I have no idea how to fix the problem, but I was kinda hoping the fix from the article you linked was only not working because it was pointing to the path used by Windows NT.

14. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

I had hoped that was the case too, really annoying me now there doesn't seem to be that much information about it that I could find only for win server 2003

15. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Server 2003 is pretty much the same as XP. Try the solutions.

16. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

what about vista though? I have looked into the server 2003 solutions but a lot of the problems comes from installing server related applications