1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Not heavy, just REALLY tall. 6ft 5in and just a shade over 80Kg, so yeah, that's the largest size frame, 61cm IIRC, seat's gone up another half inch since that photo though, stupid strechy legs :D

Oh, and in reply to your question about what groupset it is, it's the Tiagra :D

Last edited: 21 Apr 2009
  2. Lian Li Lover

Lian Li Lover What's a Dremel?

Which version of the allez is it? Mine came with sora :(

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ahh I've gotten to the bottom of my bike problems... apparantly the Shimano 105's on my Trek have been recalled back to the factory, hence, the frame wasn't in the right warehouse...

Now all i've gotta do is sit on my ass waiting, while all this wonderful weather passes me by... :(

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Ahhh, unlucky man, you could always try.....walking? :p

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

:p Meh, but I wanna cycle round here....

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, they look nice, be even better if it was all downhill, smooth tarmac all the way :D

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Ahh right, I see. Got thrown off by the wheels.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Could you guys also reccomend me a good set of cycling shoes and pedals aswell? I'm eventally gonna want a set, but apparantly getting size 13.5-14 cycling shoes is a little problematic.. :p

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Shimano SPD's.

I'm getting a set of the pedals free. Not the road stlye, these, the shoes that clip into them are more suited to walking, so if I need to walk somehwere I'm not ruining the cleats and sliding all over the place.

Mankz, I've just presumed this so far, but is it a road bike your getting or an MTB?

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ Aye. My first roadie, a Trek 1.2 Double, 60cm frame etc.

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

manks, don't get those spd's !!! they are great for mtb where the miles are short (i.e. i'd say our usual rides are at max 40 mile) roadie pedals are much more suited to clocking up the miles (lads I know can go out on a sunday morning and do 100 before lunch).

i'm told it's because the greater surface area of the roadie pedals don't hurt your feet as much, though i'm sure a seasoned roadie on here will put you straight.

edit: also i think a road shoe has a much stiffer sole than an mtb.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2009
  14. Senny

Senny What's a Dremel?

Just got a new bike a week past Monday. Got myself a Giant XTC 3.5. This is the first bike I've had in quite a while and can honestly say I've ridden it more than any other bike I have ever had previously.

It's stock at the moment but I am looking to change the seat on it(sore backside not alot of padding in the seat) and also changing the pedals to something like the this. Incidentally does anyone have any good recommendations for seats/pedals that would be good for trails and such? Cheers

Well without any further delay, here it is....

[​IMG]

It has more dings in the frame/pedals than any other bikes I've ever had but thats because it is more fun to ride!

Here is where I was with it at the weekend(Carron Valley, Kilsyth). This was also the first time I had ridden a proper trail which included jumps and berms.

[​IMG]

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yar.. I've been looking forwards to it for aggges.. :p

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I didn't recommend them, I said they're the ones I'm getting free ;)

But get the road pedals, they offer a greater surface area and allow you to get the power down more easily...or so the salesman told me :p

100 miles before lunch? Jesus H Christ!!! Wish my arse could hold out that long!! I've only just hit the 100 mile mark on mine!

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Wahoo! I just got an e-mail from the bike shop, saying becuase of the delay, they are giving me a Giro Rift helmet in white in compensation for my delay :) wahoo!

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Sorry mate, didn't mean it to sound like it did.

Yeah the lads can go out round 6 am up into quiet Northumberland and even at an average 20mph its 100 mile by 11am but who goes that slow on a road bike???

Giro's are nice lids, I've got a Met at the moment but so far i've not "used" it.

Make sure you try the lid on first though as different ones fit better than others, I had a bloke in the shop yesterday who's head fitted perfectly into a basic £30 one, but on his mate it sat too high so he had to go for a £50 Met.

This is one area i can't stress enough to my customers its worth taking the time to find the right one and paying for a quality one.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ I was going to buy one of the Giros anyway, hence why they chucked it in for free..

I imagine after 80 miles, I'd be going far slower than 20mph :p

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

No worries man, didn't come across like that ;) Just saying ;)

But yeah, I need a lid, 30+ is getting a bit scary now, cars don't seem to think I exist, or think
    I'm indestructible...well, I ain't. So in need of a decent noggin protector, any recommendations? Was looking at some Specialized ones, were about £75 (yeah, I look like a cycling advertisement), but I don't really have a budget, I suppose I would have to cap it at £100 though. Any ideas?

And nice one on the lid Mankz!