1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Confirmed: Core i7 920, 940, 950 to go "soon"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jun 2009.

1. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

You meant that you are in dire needs of a correction facility?
    Jules Verne was seen as a writer of fiction; fiction transformed in vision and vision in product. Anyway, I was accused of working for Globalfoundries just two days ago. Maybe you and your likes should hold a conference to solve such perilous questions.
    Hey, maybe I'm trying to get Nvidia over?

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Wrong, why?

Did you notice the sh** MS got in when not every 10 year old printer had drivers for Vista?
    There is simply no way x86 will go away, consumers (but even more important big companies who often run proprietary software) will not accept a lack of backward compability.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Jules Verne was a great writer who saw a lot of things coming before most of the people of his day & age, that's true.

I still don't see any proof. Oh, and if you happen to be right [I don't say it can't happen] I WILL apologize but for now I can't really see where you got your information from and I don't believe you. :p

What was that part about a correction facility? Just because I say I don't believe things like that without proof. :eyebrow:

4. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Interesting thread

Hypothetical question to all and sundry -

If you were upgrading now from (say) a single-core P4 2.8Ghz based system (or equivalent), which upgrade route would you take? Assume your budget is £1000 for a gaming/general use PC.

1) Buy a Core i7/X58 based system
    2) Buy a Phenom II based system
    3) Wait for Core i5
    4) Buy a Core 2 Duo/Quad

5. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I'm not up on prices across the pond, but I'd say wait for i5. It's going to match i7 in performance (or close enough as to not matter) and should end up being cheaper for the performance. That being said, there's really not a bad choice as things go right now as long as you don't buy a socket 775 processor.

I was going to do the same thing, but my three AMD PCs at home now suddenly all have i7s in them =/

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

for £1000 id get:

P45 mobo (maybe the biostar)
    Q9550
    4gb of something good
    blow the rest on a GPU

this set up would keep you gaming longer than i7 with an appropriately cheaper GPU in my opinion. im sure many would disagree however.............:jawdrop:

7. Goty

Goty Minimodder

How would a socket 775 system keep him gaming longer than an i7 system? The i7 would be faster in no uncertain terms and socket 1366 will have faster processors released on it after 2009, unlike 775.

8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

but gaming performance is vastly GPU dependent. the gains you would see spending the rest of that £1000 on an i7 mobo, chip and DDR3 rather than putting the money into a faster GPU are minimal.

if you are talking in terms of "futureproofing" then i think this i5/lynnefield debacle clearly shows that no upgrade path is certain.

9. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Today's rumors say that the i5 chips will hear on i7 name. "Give me your (bank account) number baby!

10. nuclear

nuclear What's a Dremel?

if i might add my simple guess from what i read
    Since the i5 is running at a performance so close to the i7, they will want to differenciate the platform a bit more
    now they could simply replace the 920,950 and 975 with 6-core equivalent (well they will keep the 975 since it's an extreme, like they did with the x6800 that was available for a time after the intro of the quad cores)
    that way, the tripple memory channel is better used since you have more cores running and it would be a bigger difference between i5 and i7. They might charge a bit more but not really, and they will be able to validate the qpi and memory ctrl before pushing it in the xeon 55xx dual socket platform like they did with i7 and x58 (which was renamed to 5520 for the xeon)

/edit
    To add a bit more info, the current line-up of xeon is only based on the D0 stepping which was released around middle of may.
    So they got people buying the i7 to debug and check the entire c0 stepping.
    if you go check the features of the x5570, x5560 and x5550, they have a turbo mode of 2-2-3-3 for 4-3-2-1 core active instead of the 1-1-1-2
    My guess is they'll be doing the same thing with the 6-core line-up

Last edited: 9 Jun 2009
  11. shindre33

shindre33 What's a Dremel?

NEED HELP PLS......

im thinking of buying a new PC right now.. i will be using it for gaming and editing HD videos..

the problem is i dont have a clue of what to buy.. all i know is that my budget is limited, around
    700USdollars (500 in euros, i guess). and that these are all what i want.

- a good processor for gaming and editing HD videos
    - a good video card that cud well handle gaming and HD video editing
    - at least 4GB of memory
    - at least 1TB of harddrive
    - a blu-ray disk drive and;
    - a good motherboard that cud accommodate all of them and perhaps give way for upgrades

i hope someone cud help... thanks in advance..

12. perplekks45

Off the top of my head I'd say take a quick look at the monthly guides here on BT to get an idea, then open a thread in the hardware section of the forums. :thumb:

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :)

The most important 2 buttons are "edit" and the reputation one. ;)

13. shindre33

wow.. i just did what uv said and im more lost than ever.. :(

truth is i dont fully understand what the best specs are for the hardwares i want..
    another is that i dont know if they wud fit my budget.. this is harder than ive anticipated..

thanks for the welcome though and the willingness to help..:p

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Your best bet would be this and throwing in a quad core instead of the dual core, with a Q9550, a bit beefier psu and a 1TB HDD you should end up at about 700$.

15. perplekks45

Yeah, that should be alright, but if you really need that BluRay drive you might struggle with your $700 budget.

Depending on the resolution you want to play your games at you might want to reconsider the graphics card but that would be out of budget I guess. And the 4770 seems to be quite a performer for the price.

16. shindre33

the june buyer's guide is very helpful.. thanks to naokaji.. :)

but i should lay off my fantasy of having a blu-ray drive for a while with the kind of budget that i have..

i have a couple of questions:

1) why Intel Q9550 as processor? is it the best one for the june buyer's guide setup?
    2) what exactly would you recommend for a bit beefier PSU?

sori, really have no idea...

17. MstrMstr

MstrMstr What's a Dremel?

I just dont really care now

Bought my company units based with the ASUS p6t deluxe v-2, Water cooled i7 920 OC to only 3.6. I needed a unit that can kill with graphics.

I will not be needing or buying again until 2013.. four years.

Regardless of the whims of Intel and other makers- I can no longer justify the constant buying. :eyebrow:

18. blacksavage

blacksavage What's a Dremel?

So six core Core i9 is only an 1366 part.

Does this mean that the best an 1156 platform can get is a quad core? If it was so then 1156 as a platform is not all that tempting because it's upgrade path is incredibly limited
    It's like telling consumers: if you want six core then go get a 1366 motherboard with triple channel memory, much like it was before 2003: you want 64-bit then go get Itanium

19. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I plan on defecting to Intel this August when the Core i7 950 drops to $300 and I'm sure the Core i7 950 overclocked to 4ghz will be better than anything AMD will produce for like 2 more years. Does anyone disagree if so let me know as I'm not gonna shell out $600 for Intel's new design this fall.

20. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Dunno really, Intel have been killing off processors by the end of January since the time of MMX, so that's 12 years now.

I don't recall them saying one thing to the press and something else to board makers though, that's new to me anyway. It doesn't help with trying to choose a laptop, first it was Core 2 and Pentium for performance and power balance respectively, then i5 and i3, so now will they move i5 and i3 around at the same time as killing all these i7s?

[EDIT]Apologies for bump, but it was in the story list with the review of the new one!

Tags: Add Tags