1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is there such a thing as the perfect PC case?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Jun 2009.

1. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

This TBH. There are alot of cases out there that have some very nifty design ideas or features but then have an epic failing elsewhere depending on your needs. And this is before you even take exterior look into account *cough*Antec*cough*.

I dont think there can be a case for both ultimate air and water cooling (that is size optimised). Take the up coming Silverstone Fortress FT02 thats based on a much better design of the Raven. It looks to be quiet air cooling powerhouse (hopefully) but has no provision for water.

As nice as that render is, I dont think it offers a lot more then a TJ07 all told.

2. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

There'll never be a "perfect" case, too many people have different preferences and needs. Personally a Lian Li, a dremel or laser cutter and some imagination is my idea of perfection, you dont need a huge case to cram in a large radiator:

[​IMG]

I've tried cases specifically designed for watercooling (Cosmos S and Mountain Mods) and yes, while they were very easy to work with it's just doesn't feel like proper watercooling to me unless you have to spend hours with a tape measure, stripping a case down to it's bare chassis and spilling blood in the name of modding.

3. Ironpipe

Ironpipe What's a Dremel?

I have no problem fitting a radiator with 2x240mm fans, pump and quick disconnect cooling to CPU, Video Card and Memory with the option of adding liquid cooling to hard drives completely enclosed in a Coolermaster Stacker 830. The only thing I did was to remove the 4x 120mm fan rack. The coolant never exceeds 30oC. while overclocking a E8600 3.33GHz to 4.25GHz as normal operation (can easily get more) and very stable. My only wish is that the case was 2.54cm wider. This is as close to a perfect case as you will ever get if you intend to use an efficient self build liquid cool system instead of the typical Mickey Mouse system or the not so efficient hugh clumsy over kill cooling ones. I don’t why, but I think Coolermaster has discounted the case.

4. Ironpipe

Ironpipe What's a Dremel?

Ck out ironpipe post on 6/19

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yes.

Lian Li make them.

In reality? Depends on the person.

For your average person/family - Dell (change that with whichever prebuild you like) make perfect cases. Same for your average business.

For us, most of the time, the answer is going to be no (I'd say Lian Li make perfect cases, but..). Fortunately for us, though, some genius invented dremels, drills, lathes, spray guns, aerosols etc.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  7. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

The perfect case doesn't exist, and will never arrive... at least I hope it doesn't. I look at things from a modders perspective, and I know such a thing would take all the fun out of my hobby. It'd be like riding a bike with training wheels, playing a FPS in 'God' mode, or buying a Mac... ;-)

8. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

If you liked the MM Pinacle 24 but thought it was too long, there is the Pinacle 18 which is 6 in shorter

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

If you discovered the perfect case and it never changed, you'd never bother reviewing them again, why do modders go out and mod another one that's different from before? Variety and challenge.

Longevity is my demand from a case now that I've outgrown three of them and the old ones sit around like spare parts - I suppose they could get me into modding if I was ever interested but I'd need to cut 120mm fan fittings into them for modern cooling demands, for a start!

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

After going through 20-some cases, I'm yet to find a perfect one. Sure it comes down to ones needs, so I'm just talking for myself. So far I've used P180B the most. Anyway there are still lots of details I'd do different, so it's by no means perfect :(

I guess the best way will always be to build the case yourself. It's very unlikely to still be perfect, but you can get pretty darn close with enough money and skills.

Oh and about the TJ07. While I like the look of that thing, it's just too big for my liking. And NO, I don't run a CD/DVD-factory, so why the hell should I want 7 5,25" drive bays? (BTW the same goes with MANY cases out there). Also Size and ease of access aren't the same thing, and I get chills when people buy huge full tower cases for a basic matx-board with a single optical drive and HDD.

11. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Because 90% of people who buy a TJ07 stick a whacking great big radiator in the bottom. When you have a DVD drive, fan controller, RAID array and a reservoir or 2 suddenly 7 bays seems a little limiting. :p

Tags: Add Tags