1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits CEDIA 2009: Home Automation and more

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Jun 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Cheers for the coverage. Home automation has always been a passion of mine but X10 is a little bit crappy these days. Nice to see some alternatives are cropping up all be it at quite a price by the sounds of things.

3. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Nice read. Thanks lads!

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

What??? No casemods???

5. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Awww, bless Harry and that TV :)

6. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

Got two of those 103" panasonics in the reception at work..friggin HUGE.

7. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Those HDHomeRuns are nice, also. We use a few at work for different things.

8. ACIDEVIL

ACIDEVIL What's a Dremel?

People will get fat really quick. BTW The 103" tv is awesome

9. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Surely you can make a better Bluray player than that for well under half the price. Understandably it is mostly for backup/streaming purposes and of course the always important e-peen :thumb:
    To me it seems like almost every one of these things will soon be or has already been eclipsed by other products.

10. DiegoAAC

DiegoAAC What's a Dremel?

What about a waterproof laptop? (for the bathtub)

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

This is what I will have in my house, although, I am planning on doing most of it myself. Should be easy enough although I think I will have to purchase the software as my coding skills are lacking.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

If you know you're electronics or are an electrician in real life, then there's nothing to stop you - good on you!

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Which part are you planning on having in your house?
    The reasons why home automation costs so much is that it has to be absolutely bullet proof. If everything in your home - lighting, heating, security, window treatments, aduio/video distribution, etc. - is controlled by a central system, just one glitch can make your whole house unusable.

Having run my own company speciailising in all this stuff (although I've had to close the business, and this year is the first year that I haven't been to CEDIA in a long time), the logic required to tie all the separate systems of a house together can be mindboggling.

If you're just talking about video or music servers, then yes, it may be cheaper, but it probably won't look as good or be as robust and as easy to use as a pre-built system from Kaliedescape, Mediamax or Imerge.

You've got to remember that bit-tech readers are vastly more technical than the average home owner - and for the rest of the population, all they're interested in is how it looks and how easy it is to use. In the right market, there's no price you can put on those two commodities ;)

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Running a bath from abroad seems monumentally pointless. Everything else is pretty awesome though, but I do have to agree with the sentiment expressed by r4tch3t - if you know your stuff it should be fairly easy.

15. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

But being able to txt your home when you leave work to have a bath ready for you is great for the ladies, my partner showed great interest in this possibility of Home Automation. From abroad it is pointless. Another thing would be security if you went away, you can make the house look occupied, opening curtains switching lights and TV etc.

It wouldn't be that hard to patch something together to be controlled from a laptop or control panel, but it would not be that flexible. I would make the logic circuits myself and have some kind of software to monitor them all with access to the software is by wireless tablet or e-mail/txt. As for fail safes there would be a master switch which turned it all off if it got stuck in a loop or something. and if something went wrong the system would de-activate. Not the best option, but at least you can still use everything the normal way.

Tags: Add Tags