1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning What fans and lighting for a WWII themed case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by gundog48, 24 Jun 2009.

1. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

I am making a military themed PC case, basically from scratch, and I am going to need lots of airflow. I am going to fit a side 120mm fan to cool the GPU and a top exhaust fan. This may not seem much but almost the whole of the top and bottom are going to be mesh!

Anyway, I am wondering what sort of fan to put in. I thought green would go with the overall theme, but am worried that it will make it look more space age the WWII! If you can find a fan on amazon that would suit, I would be very grateful! Also, what would you suggest for case lighting. I was going to use a green neon, but would that cause the same trouble?

Thanks,
    Jake

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

How about some regular black fans painted camo? or "antique" them to make them look old and battered.

As for lighting, some white cathodes with a sound reactive circuit would be great for simulating explosive blasts.

3. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

I think you will find that the cooler master fan is actually a lot lighter that it appears to be, generally speaking, green LEDs are green LEDs.

I would stay away from LED fans, as ry@n said some plain fans with some fancy paintwork would be really cool. And then use cathodes or LEDs to light up smaller areas, or the whole case more evenly, or both.

Have you got any concept drawings or renders so we can get a better idea of what you are going for?

Also, why just amazon?

5. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Depends on the camo type you're going to theme it on - if you were doing a desert camo theme you could use Noctua fans?

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Very true. Many different camo patterns from white for winter, green but it differs from British, US, Waffen SS, etc. There are also Air Force and Naval camos.

john

7. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

You will also find that if you camo the fans with a 'tighly packed' pattern that when it spins up the green/brown will blur and just look greyish. Something to bear in mind when you mask off the camo pattern.

Doggeh.

P.S. - perhaps having one colour towards the centre of the blades and one colour towards the tips of the blades so when it spins up they are still seperate.

P.P.S - centre ring of red, middle ring of white and outer ring of blue on the fan blades so that when it spins up it becomes the RAF target logo! (as per this)

8. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

To add to what doggeh said, you could also add nose cones to the fan hubs from RC planes and paint those.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2009
  9. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Hi,
    Thanks for all the feedback! I am finalising the prelimiary design in sketchup and I'll post that when I can. To be more exact, it is a COD5 Marine Raiders themed case. I am basing it on this mod from a while back: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=87387. If it is important I will be making a custom fan grill using the 'Marine raiders' logo.

[​IMG]

10. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Hello gundog, I love this theme idea. I painted some 120mm red leds fans black for our WWII project, we used cross hair fan grills too,

heres our worklog, Wolfenstein PC

11. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Thanks once again mnpctech! BTW, I am looking to get a case sponsored for me to work on, do you think you could help me with this?

I will be posting the sketchup shortly.

12. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

blackout covers for lighting?, and make the fans look like spitfire props!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

I have thought about the idea of white lighting in the case, I like the sound of it. The only thing is, I'm not sure how it would look. Can anyone who has white lighting in their case send a pic?

Thanks,
    Jake

14. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

methinks your fans and fan grills should look like these...
    [​IMG]

love the blackout covers for lights...

your inner lightings should be like this...
    [​IMG]

or this...
    [​IMG]

maybe you can replicate it by using EL strips backed with some copper wire, insert it inside a hollow bulb?

also, your PSU cables and tubing, if you're Watercooling it... well, take some linen fabric, make tubes out of it, inverse, age/weather it a bit by leaving outdoors in the sun... to add some nice retro feel to it.

don't sleeve it using some nylon or plastic sleeves...

Last edited: 29 Jun 2009
  15. huze5

huze5 What's a Dremel?

cant he use one of those jet turbine style computers and use that? change the fan style as well?