1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Drop us an idea, win 6GB of DDR3 memory!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Jul 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j1o2h3n4

j1o2h3n4 What's a Dremel?

Things that did great, and would like to continue to see:-
    • Beautiful close-up shots.
    • Examine of build quality (eg. Color of pcb, IC brand, like the article on G.Skill)
    • Ram speed tested (the Standard vs Low Latency vs Max OC combination is just fine, the article on Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D, has far too much timing and unnecessary, sorry).
    • Software testing (synthetic, application, games are great). Could include 3D App, eg. 3dmax, maya, lot of us are using it.
    • Bring back the temperature chart (Group by Mhz first, then Order by IC temp, voltage). For the same reason CPU, Graphic Cards hv temperature charts. eg. easily compare 2 rams oc to 1800Mhz diff of voltage to achieve this, and diif of temp at this speed.
    • Mention of price and availability.

Things that have not seen, and would like to see in future:-
    • Disassembly of heatsink pictures, for the ones would wish replace it with a bigger heatsink or water cooling. (Better still if u could test it with a standard kit & further overclock it).
    • When working with a taller than average ram, popular heatsink like thermalright ex 120, Titan Fenrir etc. with fan attached could face installation problems, regardless of orientation. (Mention of it or some pictures would be nice).
    • Could switch to Core i7 920, since majority are using it. (Overclocking would be more difficult).
    • Maybe a one time review of manufacturers and their Warranties such as this (theirs are on graphics cards).
    • Newbies who just started to hv interest in high performance ram, but know little to nothing on overclocking, would find the reviews tasteless, other than the pictures. A more detail article guide on overclocking in relation to ram, would certainly help a lot. This guide provided is overly simplified. (Imagine teaching someone who has never install a ram personally).
    • A ever growing, easily accessible, collection of charts, so we can find & compare rams of our interest quickly. They are great. Such as tomshardware, hardwarecanucks, frostytech (There are no ram charts here, but you get the idea).
    • Boobs, ahem *clearing throat*, (repharse) Nice Models, could be seasonal, like chrismas specials. Something for everyone to look forward to.

Cheers~

2. dodobv

dodobv What's a Dremel?

I would like to see some test regarding the lowest latency some Ram modules can reach. Maybe those Ram modules can be tested on more than 2 motherboards, so that we could make an idea which is the best choice for those modules, the best pair with a mb.

Some operating temperatures on those mb would be nice also...and compared to other similar products.

I would like to know like an example which one is better to choose from DDR2:2GB, 4GB, 6GB and test this with some software so that the buyer can be ready to deal with buying what`s most appropriate for him running similar software. Same with DD3.

Some dual channel DDR3 vs triple channel DDR3 test. Of course when mb with p55 will be available so that we can know the difference of performance between the platform, if it worth go for the high-end one, or sticking with performance level at a better price and almost the same performance in %.

For OC lovers they should see how well those modules overclock and what temps they`re reaching.

So, overall educational, but fun also, let`s not become too serious. Otherwise you`ll get a picture with The Jocker on the email after we read those articles...Why so serious? :)

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

People really want to win that RAM, 141 comments before this one really does look desperate.

I'll flash my moobs if you let me win!

4. dmv915

dmv915 What's a Dremel?

An article that I would find very interesting would be a shoot off between memory manufacturer's. Take all of their ddr3-1333 models and then see which of them can be overclocked to ddr3-1600 and beyond. Once you have done that take off all of the heatsinks, and see if their are any similarity between components on the best and worst performing ram.

Another article that I would like to see is the effectiveness of ram heatsinks. Do we even really need them? My ram only feels warm to the touch. Will overclocking be diminished with or without these heatsinks. Is there any reason to shoot for the biggest heatsink and fan combo.

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Here's a novel idea: You ship off all the RAM (and other interesting hardware) to be tested to me. I shall then regard said RAM (and other hardware) with a knowledgable eye, pick out the best of the lot and keep it. The rest shall be returned to you (at your own expense, naturally :)).

I think it's bloody brilliant and it just might work too (for me, at least)... :D

6. Diamondbak

Diamondbak What's a Dremel?

Test the memory like they do trial drug tests. Make it a double blind test. Take two systems with like specs one with the new mem one with something similar. Then have the tester go through a few tests with each system and record their results. Now the systems could both have the new memory, both with old memory or one with and one without. The only person who would know would be who makes puts the system together for that test. Now you would have to do it a handfull of times .

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lemme summarize my great ideas

- midgets
    - boobs catching sticks of ram
    - squat trick on a stick of ram with a heatpipe
    - orbit girl
    - joe with ram taped to his ears

8. dodobv

dodobv What's a Dremel?

if i`m correct i saw once a ram memory both ddr2 and ddr3 on the same stick.ddr2 was if you put that ram normal in the slot, and ddr3 was if you turn it upside down. any ideas where that info is?or i just had a dream about it?

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Sounds like Skittlebrau to me... :)

10. JohnDribble

JohnDribble What's a Dremel?

Only thing I can think of was that ATI HD 3xxx series card that had both an AGP and PCI-E interface on it..

11. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

+1
    Made me giggle x)

12. minus0ne

minus0ne What's a Dremel?

Personally I'm still a bit curious as to why Intel chose to put the DDR3 slots in a horizontal position above the CPU socket on the DX58SO. What do they know that we don't? Or every other motherboard manufacturer for that matter :p Or do they all put the RAM vertically to conserve space so they can squeeze in more PCI slots? And how do top-down, south-north and east-west CPU cooler configs impact RAM temps?

I guess you could compare it with other 2000Mhz DDR3 kits, see how much the 9-9-9-24 timings affect real-world performance (comparing it to the more expensive 8-8-8-24 and 7-8-7-20 kits), but I think you're going to be doing that anyway.

Though there's always the question of whether or not you could make a cuppa by using only 2000Mhz DDR3 RAM heatsinks as heating elements :D

13. territt

territt What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, im new to the board but have been reading it for a while,

I havent had the chance to read all 8 pages yet but what i would really like to see would be some pictures of the ram fitted to diffrent motherboards, OCing is all well and good but i spend a lot of time and money making sure my pc looks good, getting ram that matches the colour/design of the system would help a lot?

14. jakedude182

jakedude182 What's a Dremel?

I also think that you should show the ram slotted into various motherboards from different manufacturers, on intel and AMD boards like foxconns and Asus boards. You should show the lengh of the ram heatsinks on a motherboard with added cpu heatsinks installed. Popular ones that are for AMD and Intel boards for that like the Arctic freezer 7 pro, or the
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme. This would be good if you could show close up images of the gaps, becuase with high ram people will be wrorried that it will not fit in their system. Using other common components e.g. motherboards and heatsinks to show that the two are compatible.

15. jakedude182

jakedude182 What's a Dremel?

I forgot to put in the last post.. comparing the price of this ram to other manufacturers with symilar ram. In a lot of the benchmarks not neccesarily on this site but others ram models are shown for benchmarks but not their price.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks for all the entries, we're picking a winner soon. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.