1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ATI RV870 to use 384-bit memory bus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Crikey! Better save some pennies when i get paid at the end of the month :)

3. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

it seems like the biggest wait in years we've all had for finding out about the next gen of graphics cards. it's a little bit exciting wondering how powerful they are gonna be... i hope we're not disappointed

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Only costs you £100 per month in electricity? hoho

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I don't buy the 300mm² bit, that just seems against ATi's whole focus these days.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay.
    not exactly ATi Fanboi but have had good times with both.
    Back on the ATi trail now, fondly remembering my good ole 9500pro and its mighty 275->400MHz Overclock....

Will be looking to replace the 4870 methinks.....

7. SASKing

SASKing What's a Dremel?

Anyone know if they will release duel GPU straight away or just single GPU for now?

8. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

Until the second we we find out, and then the speculation begins on if AMD will use TSMC's 28/32nm or GloFo's 32nm tech (more than likely the latter) for the half-step, what it will be, and then WTF they were talking about that we should be so excited about in "a year from now"...Assuming of course they were talking about the R900 series, which is supposedly supposed to be the last of this architecture, but what if they're changing it up sooner to compete with Nvidia and Intel's more-flexible architecture?

IOW, it's the biggest wait until the next biggest wait. Personally, I think G80/R520/R600 were more torturous, especially if you remember all the FUD that circulated about them, which is stuff of legend. This might be up there though, with the dueling rumors of 192-384/128-256bit and 800/1600 versus all the other theories, but really, when you come out with 6 different codenames, especially two at the mid-range level with one in theory being half of the performance part, and that half of the X2 part, it's just asking widespread conspiracies and confusion.

9. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Exciting times are here again .. I hope!

Can't imagine I'll be convinced to upgrade though, at least not until the x2 version comes out.

10. stewis

stewis What's a Dremel?

if anyone is getting rid of there "old" 4xxx series AMD cards i have a whole 27p on my desk :)

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

no wait the 5870 is actually nvidia sneaking in with yet another name change on there G92 series of cards!

ROFL!!!

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Not a bad price if the performance is as good as these specifications suggest. I'm sure G80 cost more when it first came out.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

But will poor ATI drivers bring it down?

14. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

While impressive, don't forget that the core is what does the rendering. Let's just hope ATI manage to match the performances of the seperate parts.

16. l3v1ck

I hope not. DX11 has been a long time coming and it's been a long time since ATi released a truly new high end GPU. They should have ample time to design and test this card. There should be no lack of motivation either. They'll really want to get one over Nvidia who have been top dog when it comes to performance (but not value or price) for the last few years.

17. l3v1ck

I wonder if, for their next GPU, Nvidia will keep their existing 512 bit memory bus and use GDDR5 with it. If so (on paper) it'll trump this offering from ATi.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Only if nVidia make the move to GDDR5.

19. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

It'll trump ATI in memory bandwidth. It doesnt really prove much beyond that. Besides, larger bus's increase costs so ATI would still be in a good shape to offer better value at the same pricepoint.

20. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

Well as metioned in a comment on there that will include Nvidia motherboard drivers plus if I remember correctly there were alot more Nvidia GPU's around than ATI as Nvidia had the upper hand then (although ATI have really closed the gap and even overtook Nvidia at one point plus are probably better value for performance) and so percentage of errors per GPU may of been less then. We had no way of telling but also look at the dates, 2007, that was pretty much 2 years ago.

Tags: Add Tags