1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to cost £55

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jul 2009.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ahhhh, ok, thank you for elaborating that in a way that I can understand. :D:thumb:

indeed, regular PC games cost 50€ (most of them, for now), that gives us ~$70 and ~£43

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

that's still a ripoff

I bought CoD4, GTAIV and UT3 when they came out for 50/55$ each, and those are canadian dollars !

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Thats because you are in the right continent. ;)

4. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

yep i remember the days of 50 odd quid snes games, there was even alot of people importing street fighter 2 for £120

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Sell 1000 games for 55 or sell 5.000.000 for 30....

I guess the do not want to sell much...

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

If they were smart they would sell it at £15-£20!

That would result in far more people buying the game at launch, and would certainly limit the imapct of the game being pirated.

Selling at such a low price would help them recoup the development costs quicker, and would net them probably one of the fastest selling games of all time (cha-ching!).

7. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I've already slapped down my pre-order over at HMV.com for the Prestige edition.

Call me an idiot, but I just can't resist the prospect of getting a pair of working Gen 1 Night Vision Goggles for under £50 (that is, the cost of the Prestige edition, £108 in my case, minus the cost of the Hardened edition), and I'd be buying the Hardened edition anyway since I've been a CoD fan since the original back in 2003, and I really think MW2 will be a true return to form after CoD2-5 were, in my opinion, let downs. CoD:UO was Call of Duty perfected, the Infinity Ward took it back off Gray Matter and ruined it.

In case you hadn't noticed... I'm really excited about getting this game. I think it might rekindle my adoration for the series.

8. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

You do know they'll be a cheap tacky pair that will probably see no further than 1 metre in front of your face?

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

I know exactly what they'll be.

Please don't treat me like a moron.

I don't know how much you know about Night Vision, but I know that it's a lot simpler a technology than I thought until I read up on it the other day. I'm sure Activision could afford to supply some half decent Gen 1 NVGs for their most avid and loyal fans.

Then again... we are talking about Activision here..

Last edited: 21 Jul 2009
  10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

keep us informed.

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

It'll be November before there are any developments to report, but sure.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

do a video review :p

13. Harry Halfcock

Harry Halfcock What's a Dremel?

I think you may well need to prepare yourself to be disappointed. Take a look at the youtube vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSS12iY1X0 and pause a t 3:05, looks suspiciously like a IR led illumator ring on the front of the google which would make these generation Zero, generation 1 NVDs are passive infrared devices.

What you would most likley be getting here, is the same thing that comprises 'night mode' in any 10 year old camcorder.

As for the price, sod that for a game of cricket.

14. Timmy_the_tortoise

Some how I think it'll be a little better than night-mode on a crappy little DV Camcorder, since it's designed with a single purpose, rather than being tacked onto a device primarily used to record video.

Regardless, I'm not bothered what they're like, I'm just a big fan of the CoD series and I want the merchandise.

15. pyrosdestiny

pyrosdestiny What's a Dremel?

I am not impressed. We as the consumers have to make a conscious decision whether to purchase the game for $10 or £10 more for no reason other then the company's greed? We are basically being exploited! The fact is our decision whether to buy it or not will have severe repercussions to how all future 'big' titles will be priced. I say we make a stand and ignore the title until they come to their senses....Who is going to be brave enough to follow suit?!

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Nice first post.

It's not about Activision's Greed. It's about the fact that they know it's such a popular franchise that they can price it that high. It's an extra tenner for christ's sake, you either pay it, or you don't. Get over it.

17. Harry Halfcock

Harry Halfcock What's a Dremel?

Yes, it certainly is designed with a single purpose in mind, but it's not the answer you have in mind. The answer is of course to maximise profit margins, to believe anything else would be naive.

These IR googles will only be able to see what the IR Leds can illuminate, which is not very much. This tech was around in WW2.

Still you seem to be a staunch supporter of overpriced trinckets so fill yer boots.

18. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I was about to say that was a fair price, until i realised it was the regular edition, not some sort of limited/special edition. Man thats expensive. I'd say i won't be buying it, but i wouldn't anyway, not a fan of the CoD series. If i feel the need for online shooters, i have TF2 (or CSS)

19. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

20. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Why are Play.com selling pre-order for £35.00 then..?

Tags: Add Tags