1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice mini-itx

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SeT, 23 Sep 2009.

1. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

My old file server finally bit the dust. Surprised at how long the old Athlon lived though.

Anyway, I'm looking at going mini itx in its place. I'm just having trouble finding definite answers for a couple things.

1. Will a mini itx board fit easily into an atx case? I'm just going itx for the lower power consumption and the fact that I can just get the board and not worry about video or processor. I don't care about the amount of space the case takes up. Size-wise, it will obviously fit but I'm curious if modding will be required/new stand-offs placed.

2. Will I need an itx psu? It looks like the same 20 pin connector to motherboard. I'm probably over-thinking this one but if I'm not swapping the case, no need for the smaller psu...

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Most cases will take an itx board.

Standard psu's work fine, it's only nano-itx & pico-itx that have funny plugs

3. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

1) If it takes an ATX board, it takes a Mini-ITX board. The four mounting holes that mITX uses are in the same location relative to the I/O shield and expansion slot as the four respective mounting holes on an ATX board.

2) Standard PSUs are acceptable, yes, but if you're looking to get lower power consumption out of your system, you might want to make sure you have a very efficient PSU to go with it - otherwise, you're kind of defeating the purpose.

- Diosjenin -

4. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

awesome. thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure about my power supply except that the brand is xion? it's much newer than the rest of the system, would assume it's ok. Maybe when I have the cash to condense my 4 hard drives into 1 larger drive I'll move to a smaller psu/case. For now, I'm sure just dropping the power hungry athlon xp and ati radeon video card(this was my game box about 5 years ago) will lower consumption...

5. KreCi

KreCi Mini ITX Fan

I have such server at home build on Epia MII12000 with passive cooling (custom made by me :D ). It is really silent and great choice for home server. I do not see it is working 24h/day on my electricity bill.