1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Cherry wood case water cooled

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tale Gunner, 26 Feb 2007.

1. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

HOLY PROJECT LOG REVIVAL!!! :rock:

Good to hear all is going well, welcome back :clap:

2. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

Welcome back!!!

TG,

Glad to hear you are feeling better and welcome back!

Pfaffen

3. David13

David13 What's a Dremel?

Ditto! - Watched your project for a while.

4. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

I really have restarted finishing the system. I took time to seal the wood and tung oil the water pump housing. Then I took a old PS and cut the connector to the motherboard off. I needed to create the on/off circuitry and latch circuit that will turn on and off with the main system. The first picture to share is the after the sanding sealer on the wood.
    [​IMG] The wood has a beautiful natural hue to it. No stain here just natural wood.

The front has a really fantastic grain.
    [​IMG]

Next I took time to add the PS for fitting only. I wanted to make sure of the wiring for the pump, fans and turn on circuitry.
    [​IMG]

The layout is exactly what I wanted here. I then disassembled the PS and spray painted it black. In more pictures I will show the PS disassembled and the paint job for the unit.

Cheapskate likes this.
  5. Tale Gunner

The power supply came was super easy to disassemble as you can see in the picture. That made my job so very easy. Once I took it apart, the painting was easy. Remember that this is just an old 300 watt PS that will supply power to the water cooling. This allows me to do maintenance on the water cooling section without having to power up the computer. A bypass switch will allow me to energize the water pump to test the system and perform maintenance on the system.
    [​IMG] Well the only thing to do now is watch the paint dry. Hummmmm

As for my job, no such luck yet. I sometimes wonder why a company would give up experience of 20 years. I know that its easier for to cut the higher paid employees and put someone that makes a whole lot less in their place but the experience is lost. It takes a long time to make up all that lost education. I continue to look for employment.

6. Tale Gunner

This is the case while I watch to see how it dries. Humm think this may take about 5 hours to the touch with 24 hours final.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tale Gunner

I just finished a mock up of the water pump system. Checking for leaks and making sure to get the air bubbles out of the lines. Everything worked perfectly without leaks (kinda the most important)
    [​IMG]
    Here you see the water block for the CPU just hanging outside the case.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a view into the water pump housing. Things are moving forward and since the long time away from the project. The relay is used to turn on the power supply for the water pump when the main system is turned on. I plan to add some LED's in the water pump and case to add some flare to the system.

8. Tale Gunner

I let the system run last night to check for leaks and run out any air bubbles. Air will make noise in the system (for you sailors out there cavitate). It’s now quite and water tight. Next step is to finish the main computer case. :up: I disassembled the case from the water pump last night to see the movement of the water bubbles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

Nice to see your posts again. Good luck with the job search. It's tough right now.

10. DragonONE

DragonONE What's a Dremel?

It's looking very nice, Tale Gunner... and welcome back ;)

11. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

TG,

Welcome Back!

Looks great!

How long did it take to run out all of the air?

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

God I haven't seen this in a long time :p

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Great to see you back!:D

14. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Holy f%&king project revival! I saw the post dates on the first page and thought "well I wonder who bumped this?" Never occurred to me it would be the OP!

Color me interested.

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear about your job loss. That really stinks. I can't figure out how companies expect to survive when they get rid of their experienced employees for people who are green and inexperienced. Too many companies focus only on the short term to the neglect of their long term survival.

Talk about getting back to an unfinished project. And I thought it was bad that it took me several months to finish my latest build.

I wish I had a planer so that I could use cherry or such for case building. You simply can't buy cherry any other way than rough cut here locally. I used oak from Home Depot on my newest build (still have to take final pics), and the oak is very nice, but it would have been better to use a hardwood that doesn't have quite such a strong grain to it.

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Bumping to say congratulations, You made the running for March '10 MOTM. :D