1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Windows G5, 24 October FINISHED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sk8roy, 12 Sep 2009.

1. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Just a small update today. I finally found some white plexi. There is a sign maker a block from my house that I pass everyday and never thought of getting it there. Feel like an idiot. Anyway he cut me a piece and only charged me a couple bucks, so heres a few shots with the white plexi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

You get a nice illumination from that, would look even better with a polished interior :naughty:.

3. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Back from vacation so did a little work today. Did not feel like messing with the sleeving of the power cables today. So went ahead and cut the windows logo out the side of the case. still have to go pick up a few small pieces of plexi for the logo and clean up the edges a little with a file. I have a few leds that I can use to light it up but going to see how well the lights I already have in there from the psu and ccfl light it up. Cramped on space and do not want to have to add any more wires than I already have if I can.

[​IMG]

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I absolutely love this picture :thumb:

5. St3ph

St3ph What's a Dremel?

There's absolutely no way to make Apple apple look better :D

6. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Need some help. My power switch finally arrived from Hong Kong. Thought I'd never get it. Anyways I need some help with the wiring, they did not send a diagram and I've googled and can not find anything. If anyone can help I need to know which pins I need to connect my led leads to and my atx power leads. They did not come numbered or anything like most switches I've seen so I numbered them myself so there would not be any confusion on which pins go to what.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks in advance

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You, Sir, fail at seeing pure awesome when it's right in front of your eyes.

'nuff sed.

PS: Agree on the bit about polishing the interior. That would look absolutely sick.

8. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Thanks buddy. I might try the polishing thing out. Not sure if I have the paitence though. From what I've seen it seems like a lot of work. Might give it a shot though, we'll see.

9. perplekks45

You're right. It is an awful lot of work.
    But it would be oh so worth it. :D

10. Interloper

Interloper Faux Pro Modder

Ahhhhhh, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing a Mac getting hacked apart and then patched up so that it may one day become a real computer.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

My guess would be that 8 and 4 connect to the LED, and that pins 1, 2 and 3 connect to 7, 6 and 5 respectively when the button is pressed.

12. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate, that is what I was thinking too. But I'm no electrician and was not sure.

13. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Finished up a little bit today. First I had to redo the PSU extender I made cause could not get the PSU to sit back far enough to fit the DVD drive. It's not pretty and all I had was clear heatshrink (if it was black it wouldn't look so ugly). Maybe I'll sleeve it when I get to sleeving the PSU.

[​IMG]

Got the hole cut for the PSU fan. So all thatr is left concerning the PSU is sleeving whcich I Think will be last just before painting.

[​IMG]

Did not get my DVD drive mounted but did get the switch finished to bypass the eject button. Soldered 2 wires to the eject button, cut a hole in the drive's cover. A lot simpler than I thought it would be. I am terrible at soldering so this was kinda scary for me. But I had a lot of practice earlier when I did my PSU extender. Hooked it up to my working PC and there it goes opening with the switch. Now I just got to decide where to mount the switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

14. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Don't forget to remove the front tray bezel on the dvd drive. Otherwise it'll get caught on the case slider. Mount the switch on the top panel somewhere, and shorten the cable as much as you can.

15. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Finished sleeving 3 of the PSu cables. 24 pin, sata, and 8 pin
    24 pin was left the original length but the sat was cut in half. Spaced the sata connectors out so they reach from one drive to the next with no extra slack. Also put shorter connectors on them so it will be an easier fit behind the rear of the HDD. Only sleeved the extension of the 8 pin since the rest will be hidden behind the MB. When I first started, I was able to see the wires through the sleeving, so I painted them all the wires white.

Went through 40 foot of sleeving already might have to order some more. Have the PCI cables, 5 fans, front panel, lcd, dvd, and ccfl left to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

that cable sleeving is mighty sexy!

17. SquattingDawg

SquattingDawg What's a Dremel?

That color scheme reminds me of my girls favorite bathing suite! :thumb:

Great mod though! Love the windows logo

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Wow that is really nice. Dont see too many people colour the actual connector though. Respect for the sleeving!

19. perplekks45

Neat sleeving. Will have to see the cables in the case to say if I like the color scheme or not.

20. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Nor really, Unixes for the win even if thats Apple-Gnu/Linux-BSD I would have kept the apple for myself though... :lol: