1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA cancels 12 games, lays off 1500 jobs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Nov 2009.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Skate better not be canceled!

2. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Every cloud...

Although scant comfort to those losing their jobs, we all may well benefit from this action...

A lot of blue-chip/large corporations harbour very capable employees who never get close to realising their potential. When hands are forced, i.e. redundancy, those killing time in the office may be driven to form new partnerships and create new opportunities not possible under the EA umbrella.

I look forward to (I for one welcome...) a slew of new developers, coders, artists and producers, taking things into their own hands, and releasing quality product which would never have been conceived at EA.

Just my 2 cents/pence (worth about the same).

Cleggy.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

So this is the reason "singleplayer is no longer the future." Nobody left to make them.

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

funny how in WAR beta 99% of the community said that EA buying mythic would only lead to bad things. a year later, and oh yes, EA can now sack anyone they want from any studio. Not suprising that the game went to crap once EA got their mits on it.

5. giantegg

giantegg What's a Dremel?

MM-HMM.

6. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Wait a second, did I read that right or did they NOT blame piracy?! Very uncool to not jump on the 'piracy is killing the industry' bandwagon

:worried::worried::worried:

7. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

I never even heard of this company. Remember when GM bought Hummer, awesome move.

The market is on a down turn anyways right now. Give it two years and it will be nice and saturated again with so many games - single and multiplayer - that we dont know what to do with ourselves. At least theres some quality titles to look forward to. If not just check for that 4.99/9.99 special on steam.

8. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Dead space was a brilliant game..

9. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I was hoping for more Mirrors Edge. As DICE are the developer I'd hope that they dont bin it (or any DICE or Bioware staff for that matter).

I wonder just what EA think caused this turn of events?

10. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I would guess simple business, too many products over budget and not enough income from most titles. They dont have any problems with finding a publisher, so thats no excuse, or maybe that is the problem.

How about making games to budget that a lot of people actually want to buy?

11. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Black box does skate and they were listed in the article as one of the studios worst hit by this.
    I really need to find out for sure what games are canceled.
    Hope skate3 still on for may :(

Tags: Add Tags