1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows I can 'hear' my NIC and DVI port...

Discussion in 'Software' started by NuTech, 5 Nov 2009.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

This may sound like I'm going crazy but bear with me...

I recently stopped using my USB speakers and starting plugging headphones directly into my motherboard's audio output. It sounds fine for the most part aside for a little bit of static. However when I transfer files over the network or download, the static increases. Once the network activity stops, the sound dies down.

I've started to now notice something similar with video too. If I do anything that causes the screen to refresh quickly (like scrolling down a page fast), the static gets much louder.

I get this is obviously something to do with interference, but is there anything I can do to reduce it?

Motherboard is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe using a Realtek HD audio chipset.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That, my friend, is called interference. VERY common for onboard sound cards. The ONLY fix is to get a dedicated sound card like the ASUS Xonar... great sound card, even the lowest end.

Krikkit likes this.
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Exactly right there Goodbytes - onboard sound is terrible for interference, and is the main reason some manufacturers have started putting their "onboard" sound cards onto external add-in modules.

4. Montyburns

Montyburns What's a Dremel?

5. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

what he said. I remember when I used to hear my mouse, boy that was annoying.

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

For (higher end) headphones I'd recommend the Asus Xonar Essence STX/ST. Many poeple over at head-fi.org favor it over most headphone amps sub $400.
    If your headphones are cheaper grab something $20+, most will do you just fine. :)