1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU making loud noise after driver update

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dr4ygon, 28 Nov 2009.

1. dr4ygon

dr4ygon Every.Villian.Is.Lemons

Hi, i have been trying to update my drivers, but every time i do so my GPU makes a horrendous noise. I always uninstall my card and check the remove drivers option check box as i do so, i then make sure that there are no other driver exe programs lying about so that they don't get installed. I also disabled the automtic driver installation to make sure that vista wouldn't install drivers when i restart after removing, but vista will still install a driver...where it gets this driver i have no idea.

To get to the point, when i then download the latest nvidia driver and installed, this all goes well. But as soon as i restart and load up a game or gpu intensive application, the GPU makes a horrible noise. It has made noise before which i can deal with (the capacitors i believe make this noise). But every time i try to install new drivers the card makes a horrible electronic noise which is much louder than before and sounds like the card is being strained more so (again i believe this is the capacitors on the card). The performance of my card also seems to slightly decrease, so i'm at a loss here i have no idea how to get around this as i am looking to update my drivers, as they have some improvements for games i would like to test.

The card i have if it is of any help is a XFX GTX260 XT. Thanks.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Can you define the sound or provide a recording of it?

3. dr4ygon

4. GoodBytes

Yup, that is a bad capacitor. Have your card RMA'ed.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Or if you're adventurous, replace it yourself.

Of course it's much easier if you have a multi-meter at hand, and even more easier if you have an in-circut capacitor meter.

6. dr4ygon

Well I contacted XFX directly to try and sort it out and see if i can get a replacement seeing as my card is still under warranty. I'll see how it goes, thanks guys.

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Just roll back the driver.

Are there any improvements you'll lose?

8. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

It's actually quite normal - the 260 is a big squealer - at least mine was. My 275 does as well, but not so much.

9. GoodBytes

Yes and no.
    A small level of it is normal for this GPU. That is what happens when you cut down on the board design (Quadro down to Geforce) to reduce the cost. But it should only be hearable when you are either close to the GPU, or in quiet room, if you have a setup a quiet/silent computer. A Geforce is a Quadro is lower quality component used, board design cuts, and some features removed for it, to make it more affordable.

If it can be heard as the video, this is not normal.

10. dr4ygon

Well for the time being i have just rolled back the drivers, the noise is too much. It is pretty quite with the rolled back drivers, so i guess i will just stick with em. I was aware the GTX 260 made some noise, but the noise i get with the updates is rediculous...the cards performance also suffers with the updates so i think it's probably just going to be easier to keep the old drivers instead.

11. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Seems like the updated drivers were maybe increasing ram/close speeds & the card couldn't take it.

What you could do..

Check the notes for the updated drivers to see what gains their suppose to bring & check the current clock speeds with new ones (assuming they'll change)
    And then lower them to what they were with the new drivers installed.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

13. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

my 285 squeels when loading games. Intro video's on some games dont have a FPS limit and when my card produces like over 1000FPS it squeels.

Also is quieter with vsync enabled