1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus announces AMD-based netbook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Nov 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. dec

dec [blank space]

"the future is fusion"......if the future ever gets the funds to get here. and this is not the future. this is a small notebook not a netbook. i think this is best amd can do in the netbook (ish) market though.

3. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

it is a nice mix, personally think a single core is a little on the low side, and the 11" a bit too small for comfort, so this is something I could live with. currently using a 13,3" perfect size,

4. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

5. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

This seems to be pitched in the same sort of territory as the Samsung X120. Although I have a netbook (EEE 901), that I use as a portable media PC, it doesn't ahve the omph for decent Flash video and certainly can't do HD video. These sort of small form factor notebooks are aimed at plugging this gap. They remain highly portable but have the HP to handle all my media needs.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I find myself toting my eeePC 901 a lot lately. Quick post or Tweet from Starbucks. Good battery life for sitting in Drs waiting rooms for Marilyn. Slap a good SD card in it and offload to the desktop when I get home.

I don't think anything above 10" should be called a netbook, just a small lappy.

7. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

When i bought my netbook, I went for the longest battery life at the cheapest price. This notebook is going to be too expensive with not enough battery. For me this isnt a netbook.

8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

This is not a netbook. It doesn't sound like it's AMD pushing as one either it's just Asus. Spec is pretty decent but I don't they can class it as something it isn't.

Netbooks shouldn't be any bigger than 10". Any more than that and it's just making us netbooks jealous and envious of the guys with bigger..........

Sorry, I'm not trying to over compensate for anything, honest!

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

this isn't a netbook. Can't say I'd ever buy it.

10. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

It all depends on the price point. its exactly the kind of thing I want, minus a dvd drive but well see how much!

11. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

This would smoke any netbook performance wise, some people are willing to sacrifice some battery life for more CPU and GPU performance. People who buy regular notebooks do it everyday when theyre getting 1-3hrs of battery life.

12. Matticus

Matticus ...

Looks pretty nice, if the price is right then it would be ideal for me. While me 1000H is very nice and I love the battery life, I can't honestly say I need 6+ hours and I really would like a slightly bigger screen sometimes.

13. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

now this is a proper netbook heck they have a HD 3200 graphics chip in it, it can decode 1080p blu-ray in HARDWARE, intel crappy 950 graphics cant even 720p right :p

14. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

It's a small notebook or laptop. But it's not a netbook.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I actually spend most of my time on my netbook. No need to be on my main PC for all uni stuff plus can carry it to lectures. It struggles abit with BBC iplayer but not too badly. Also Gives me something to do during the joyful rush hour traffic on the bus. Screen is annoyingly small tho but the amount of crap I have open most screens are too small. Just stops me from iplayer, MSN and notes open at the same time and forces me to actually work lol.

16. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

That looks fantastic. I'd get one if it were well priced and you could get a better 6-cell battery or similar.

17. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I would buy something like this to replace my Samsung Q45 with when it dies, so long as they can increase the battery life a bit.

Something moderately powerful with a reasonably small screen is perfect for me. Obviously I would love a Thinkpad X300 but as something for significantly less cash and (for me) doing a good enough job this would be great.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya as much as Im glad AMD is in the "Netbook" market I would have to say this is a notebook with a 12" screen not a netbook.

19. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

20. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I have a 12" Asus N330 ION netbook and I have to say I think 12" is the perfect size. I have an almost full size keyboard, so I can actually work on it for hours comfortably. I do not have to use specialized "squished" browser options without proper toolbars, address bar ect. and still have room for the page that I want to see.

I can run flash on it without trying to figure out all the ION drivers software, bata version adobe crap.
    (been having trouble getting that set up so it actually works)

But then my requirements where:
    Long working times with CPU power
    1080p video for long trips
    full size keyboard (I have big hands and find "normal" key boards a bit on the small size)

There are just too many compromises in current single core smaller netbooks for me.

Tags: Add Tags