1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Alienware Aurora ALX PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Jan 2010.

1. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

It's an unbadged CoolIt Domio ALC, if I remember the review correctly. It's not great, and I think Bit-Tech managed to break 5 through the install process alone. But it obviously wasn't CoolIt's fault for making them crappy the unnecessary amount of force applied.

2. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I never understood the high end gaming pc market. There's usually a large markup on the component costs with no added value.

The people who are keen enough to understand computer specs and gaming computers are much more likely to just build one themselves. That's what I've always done, certainly didn't spend that much money to do it

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

you computer should be plugged in or otherwise grounded, though, obviously turned off

4. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

When you get hardware with moving parts, instead of describing how they work, why not post a video of the action?

5. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I find it strange how they designed the Aurora to look much more sleeker than their more expensive Area-51 range.

Anyway, apart from Alienware hardware being so heavily overpriced, these Aurora PCs do look 'nicer' than the previous generation of Alienware desktops.

However, the Alienware case designs are still full of the signature Alienware vulgar, cheap and tacky looks.

The Alien head is the only real cool part of the case IMHO.

The 'special feature' see-thru, cheap-looking, plastic sections with the built-in tacky lights look like a 5 year kid's toy.

The only pre-built retail PC I have ever seen that could just about pull off an excessively high amount of light with class was Dell's XPS 710 / 720 machines.

I think Dell should have made use of the Alienware head and logo for the marketing benefits, but made the cases more stylish as the XPS brand.

However, to put things in perspective, I haven't seen a single Alienware or Dell XPS machine with as good looks as say a Lian - Li case.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The XPS cases for some reason like tron says are much better.

With that said, there's much better companies who makes overpriced PCs anyways.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

To be honest they are getting worse and worse. What a mess inside that case and any amateur can do a better build than that.

and I agree with other people the only good thing about the whole thing is the alienware icon.

Absolute S***e

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

It's got a new nice tricks and the specs are not bad (if you ignore the price) but at the end of it all, it's still just a Dell in a party frock.

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Wasn't the Coolit Domino trash? IIRC they broke a lot..

Also, maybe i'm the only person that leaves stuff on top of computers, papers, cds etc.. You can't do it with this one. Everything would fall off when the vents open, no?

10. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

For those that want a "no-hassle" gaming pc and the support that comes with a pre-built system, It's not such a bad machine. But then again. Garish lights and sub-optimal cooling.. The price is a bit steep for that. And the weight is a bit too much too. One would believe it to atleast have an aluminium chassis.

@dodo. There is such a thing called a desk you know. Just remove the pizza boxes and all the other crap you have there. :p

11. CyrIng

CyrIng SFF

Sur it is not a H50 which btw is a very good HSF

I wonder how cool is the IOH with this 40mm fan ?

12. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Dell Support / Helpdesk is possibly something I would pay not to have to suffer. Out of 4 items I ordered from them since November, two have not arrived, one arrived DOA with no replacement in sight and the final item worked for a week then broke. Dell support staff are at best condescending and at their worse, a disgrace. Surely you aren't going to adopt the PC Pro stance like they have with MESH, disgusting customer service, but big payout for advertising each month, so any criticism will go unheard.

I notice the latest Alienware catalogue available at all leading newsagents for £4.50 comes with a small feature called 'Custom PC' which looks like its about some stuff that most people have already read on here, for free.

13. MaverickWill

Very sure.

Second-last paragraph on each page.

14. subby

subby Me...just like you...only better

over priced and not worth the 2k pricetag....1300 maybe...

15. Alexg

Alexg What's a Dremel?

Nope it is an H50 - looks nothing like the coolit one and everything like an h50. Bit tech must have made a mistake. God know who would buy this rubbish it works out as a grand for a case and a bit of support...

16. MaverickWill

My apologies - I went back and looked at the hi-res pictures of the case, and you're right - looks like it won't be destroyed during the install. Shame on Bit, tbh.

17. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Board most likely made by ASUS - XXUS can be seen below the CPU cooler.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

For those that have more money than sence which is who buys alienware this would prob be bottem end for them. Everyone on this site has built a pc pretty much and everyone knows cost of components. Cost of support younwould have to work out yourself.

Pc I recently built still cost more but as the saying goes if you have it to spen, spend it. And that's exactly what this is aimed at

19. cjb119

cjb119 What's a Dremel?

Not a great pc, but I suppose for some there is peace of mind, buying from a large corp with full coverage support. I know it has tempted me in the past. When you just want to play, and not ass around fixing the damn thing!

20. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

That cpu cooler looks like the CorsairH50 I have which is a good CPU cooler.

Tags: Add Tags