1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding X-Box controller as PC game controller..

Discussion in 'Modding' started by StuckShut, 15 Dec 2002.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Fair enough if you're getting hassle, but it's just about learning how to overcome it, as is the way with any OS. And saying you hate MS OSs then saying you would install ME again? Not criticising you, just thought I'd say a bit about this subject.

I'm in a very opinionated mood as of late :geek:

2. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

ok Pedant Boy (sorry, but u keep criticizing every single sentence i write... )

Xp gives me a lot of problems:

with old games (sometimes u want to play again Duke Nukem and u can't)

with drivers (some non xp drivers doesn't work with xp)

with users (it keeps bugging me!)

At least ME won't give so much headaches (I know it will give me more headaches, but wtf!!)

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Windows is just ok.
    I don't like M$ as a company. They have too many lisencing schemes to get more money. Most of the time I think they are writing their software just to make a lot of money, not to help the community. They should be trying to make money, but they still need to do a good job. What annoys me is that they made Windows so much "easier to use" that it's becoming harder to use. In 98 I knew how ot tweak every setting, find every file...
    But in XP they screwed it all up. They should split Windows into two versions, Pro and Home. Yes they did that with XP, but they are identical, excluding some power manegement, networking, and administrator tools. Home would be the easy to use OS for those "The computer is the thing that looks like the TV, right?" people. Pro would be for people like us that know the difference between a PCI card and a DIMM.

4. NiHiLiST

Deymos, I don't mean to criticise, I'm just stating my opinion. Don't take any offence at what I say, just ignore it, argue against it and laugh at me :p

I agree with both Deymos and Altron on the Windows thing that XP isn't as good as a well setup 98SE. All I was saying in the first place was it's wrong to call MS a crap company because Windows is supposedly not "|\/|4|)-1337" and it "$u><0rZ".

5. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

I'm not offended at all.

As many others say, i agree with the fact that M$ substantially product software for money, releasing software that still needs to be hrdly tested.
    At the same time I recognize that without them Informatics world would be very different... It would probably be an "elite" (no 1337) world, populated only by programmers, admins and uni researchers. And moddin wouldn't exist.

So if the forum is full of spammers like me, say:Thank u M$!! (just kiddin);)

6. Keyser

Keyser What's a Dremel?

To return to the original topic...
    I have a question,
    does the Force-feedback / Vibration of the controller work when modified to fit the USB port ?

7. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Do all the buttons work on the controller then?

I was in game today and they have some extenders that allowed you to quickly release the controller if neccessary that way u dont have to mod the actual controller :)

8. NiHiLiST

All the buttons work and are fully programmable to map joysticks to buttons, and the d-pad to buttons etc. Plus the buttons are all analogue (I think?) which is immensely cool.

9. tigermain

tigermain What's a Dremel?

That does the opposite !! It connects USB stuffs to the Xbox not the other way around :) Close but no cigar !

10. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

the reason why it reconises the controller as a xbox controller is because all usb is plug and play. you can use the comtroller on a imac and it would say xbox controller. you can plug a 2 button scroll mouse on a mac and it would work. usb is the best thing to be invented in a long time

11. the_modder

the_modder What's a Dremel?

I'd like to know that too :D

12. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

it depends, its the game software that makes is rumble, so i dont think there is any pc software that uses rumble

13. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

A lot of computer games have force feedback. Mostly it is racing or flying games.

Doesn't the Xbox run a version of XP? If it does, it may be something built into XP to recognize. Otherwise wouldn't Windows see it as a generic game controller? Or maybe their is a chip that has all the ID info and Windows is just posting that.

How is it seen by non-XP computers?

I can see why Microsoft didn't use a standard USB connection. They wanted to limit people to approved Xbox parts. You hook up Bob's Bargain Basement "UBS" Controller and it fries the port, Microsoft has to fix it or they can void the warranty. A simple way to enforce a modicum of quality control.

Of course, just about every other game console that has ever existed has it's own ports to force you to use only their parts, but Microsoft does it because they want to screw the little guy.

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I HATE force feedback.

15. NiHiLiST

Force feedback is in games yeah, but it would also have to be in the driver which I assume is what was really being asked. To the best of my knowledge, yes force feedback is supported, but don't trust me on that.

As for it being indentified by the computer, it is stored on a chip. There is a USB controller chip inside pretty much any USB device to decode the signals, and this is what stores the device's name that shows on the PC.

16. StuckShut

StuckShut What's a Dremel?

Somebody back a ways asked why I own an Xbox controller if I don't have an X-box.. It's so I could plug it into my comp. ;) I went out and bought it after hearin about this mod.

As to the force-feedback. The guy that writes the drivers said that his plans for future versions include the rumble. But currently it's not implemented. Also, I think he's working on a gui to map buttons and create profiles independently of any game.

Now.. back to my NES emulator. lol

17. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

im using the code underground drivers, which are suppose to have force feedback enabled, you can activate the motors in the drivers control panel, but i dont get any effects in microsoft rally challange...has anyone actually got the rumble features to work on the pc in any game?

Last edited: 31 Dec 2002
  18. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

never mind, got it working....rumble works great in F1 2002....support for it varys from game to game....using an xbox controller on the pc is cool...

19. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Very cool, think I'll be doin that v. soon.

The X-Box uses a cut-down version of Win2K (still the best M$ OS)

And on the subject (or off it :) ) of M$, they are just a hi=uge marketing machine, and they just pester the R&D dept for something to market. Love it or loathe it, Windoze is the most prolific OS worldwide, simply due to the software available for the platform. If there was software for Linux or BSD or BeOS that was similar, or even cross-platform, the MonopolySoft would not be as "essential" as it is to many users.

Myself, I have a 486 box with Linux as a router, and the rest of the PCs in the house run either Win2K or XP, simply due to compatability with apps and other users.

Happy New Year to everyone,

.Dark

20. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

someone should mod a xbox controller all up with lights inside and such (under the buttons) and then hook it to a pc, then I would think this mod a lot cooler.

The mod is a good idea, yes. I like the controller a lot when using my friends xbox and this is most likely something that I will do in the future. I do hope that someone opens up the controller and does a bunch of mods to it though. :brrr: