1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First commercial LTE network underwhelming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

So is the network limited the speed or the modem?

3. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

I would imagine the network speeds of wired broadband will always be better than wireless, so when possible I would sooner stick with wired.

4. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

Even if sustained throughput speeds are good (12Mbps twice as fast as my broadband connection!), it's the wildly varying ping times that affect connections more on mobile data - having to wait sometimes up to eight seconds for a web page to even start loading when I have a good HSPA connection currently will never convince me to switch.

That and the fact that mobile operators can't even seem to keep a stable high speed connection up anyway - my phone is constantly disconnecting or dropping to GPRS even in central London.

I'd rather they focussed on increasing stability with existing speeds first.

5. Gonzalo-Gonads

Gonzalo-Gonads What's a Dremel?

Sweden already has one of the most stable and best 3g networks. I've gone months using a 3g modem on my laptop without dropping to edge!

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Meh...let them get up a network with natio / europewide 3G first, then we can talk about the next generation.

We're happy if EDGE works...let alone 3G or HSPA

7. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

Maybe just coincidence.... but 100 Mb/s is 12.5 MB/s..... maybe a mathematical confusion?

I am pretty sure someone would notice that though.

8. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

12Mb/s, i.e. 'megabytes' per second! That's still really good. I'm on a 10mbps connection right now which equates to about 1.2megabytes per second and would do anything for a broadband connection like that.

9. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

MB = MegaBytes

Mb = Megabits

as you say is really really good, and like Drexial points out it could be a confusion there, mybe someone was talking about Mb and the later about MB

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I wish people would stop being ignorant by calling LTE 4G. LTE is not 4G, it's more like 3.9G, but it's not 4G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution

Either way, the speed they got is very impressive, you never get anywhere near the maximum throughput.

11. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

wonder what the avg latencys are, personally i'd be happy with 2Mb/s with sub 10ms latency

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

wish i could get 12mb/s WIRED connection in the US. only offered in a few major markets. It's ridiculous how far behind we are on internet speed compared to the rest of the western world.

13. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

This is old news, but what I do remember from the story (that's noticeably absent from this write-up) was that whilst the bandwidth throughput was low, the latency was pretty awesome and getting on to be very similar for the latency over your average ADSL line.

Also, why so surprised? Anyone seen how pathetic the WiMAX options are here in the UK?

14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

"It's not all bad news, though: the tests - which were carried out using Samsung's GT-B3710 LTE modem - showed an extremely impressive 5Mb/s upstream speed, which is significantly higher than that enjoyed by many wired broadband customers."

Yep it's quicker than the 1.5mb/s average that i get with my virgin fibre optic broadband !

Tags: Add Tags