1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony TransferJet devices coming soon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Hmm, I suppose this + passive rfid for unique ID + wireless power plate = pretty decent sealed-unit wireless hard drives. Might be quite nice, if they get the built-in security right. Last thing you want is for someone to spoof your transferjet MAC and start buying things in brick&mortar shops with it.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Propriety junk. So you have to buy Sony this and Sony that to get things to work. No thanks. I'll stick with standardised stuff that works with everything else on the market.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

So it's IR with higher speeds and smaller distances?

5. DST

DST What's a Dremel?

Quite right. Another thing with Sony is that they often leaving their own proprietary standards behind - thus effectively pushing them into oblivion. MicroMV cassettes or Hi-MD disks anyone?

6. LaM3a

LaM3a What's a Dremel?

"The TransferJet Consortium was established in July 2008 to advance and promote the TransferJet Format, by developing the technical specifications and compliance testing procedures as well as creating a market for TransferJet-compliant, interoperable products. As of August 2009, the Consortium is led by nineteen Promoter member companies, consisting of: Canon, Casio, Eastman Kodak, Hitachi Ltd, JVC-Kenwood Holdings, KDDI, NEC, Nikon, NTT docomo, Olympus, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Seiko Epson, Sharp, SoftBank Mobile, Sony, Sony Ericsson and Toshiba. Since May 2009, the Consortium is accepting applications for Adopter membership."
    Very prorietary indeed :)

7. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

What exactly is wrong with cables anyway? This wireless stuff just seems so massively wasteful - I even got round to wiring large bits of the house with CAT5 back in the day rather than run wifi. And it's all well and good if you're updating your phone contacts but what if you've got a weekend's worth of RAW images? This is a solution without a problem...

9. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

honestly, everyone here is a genuine tech junkie. we all know the value of wires, wireless tech just cant compete. wires give a lot higher transfer speeds, and we are the type of people who use them. but for the general public, whose only contact with large file transfers is loading up a new ipod, i think this will be rather appealing. imagine combining this with one of the wireless battery charging stations, charge your phone and sync all your data just by putting it on your desk. i feel like this is one technology that may really catch on.

10. DST

DST What's a Dremel?

11. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Haha, the silence is deafening.

12. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

I think the Betamax tape is another good example of Sonys fail boat items.

13. LaM3a

LaM3a What's a Dremel?

Remember the beginning of all new technologies, such as CD, DVD, HDD, SSD ... They were all very expensive, like this one :)

14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

And how many of those partners are implementing it? Not many, so it's as good as propriety. Like many failed "standards" in the past, I expect this to fail to take off.

15. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I'm split about this...

The bad...

3cm? So you've got to have it in a docking cradle to get it to work? And how is that docking cradle attached? Hmmm it would appear to be USB.
    So if you're going to have a usb cable reaching on to your desk, why not just leave the silly cradle off and plug in the bloody cable!

The good...

I remember bluetooth coming out and everyone saying how amazing it was going to be, but the 1st & 2nd gen products were all pants. Two years after release I remember reading a big PCPro feature on why bluetooth had so much potential but was basically rubbish.

And look at it now, so who knows what cool things we'll see using the tech.

But 3cm... that's still a bit short!

16. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

If the sony name were removed from it, it may stand a better chance. I think people are losing patience with sony nowadays. The psp was the last straw for me. They totaly ruined the psp with there stupid security updates to stop people running homwbrew.

17. LaM3a

LaM3a What's a Dremel?

Just imagine passing a USB flash drive in front of your television to watch the video in, that's nice I think.

18. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

your inlaws are showing off their new telly and you have flash drive in pocket and "do you want to watch Ruined Daughters?" pops up

19. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

and Nintendo didnt screw homebrew? seriously leave the PSP out of this.

20. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Wireless technology will win.... eventually.

Why? Because it's the future.

And it sells.

Tags: Add Tags