1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant How much do you pay for rent as a % of your monthly income?

Discussion in 'General' started by rainbowbridge, 13 Feb 2010.

1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

28% of mine, but split with gf so really only 14%. we dont pay Council tax in ireland.
    were in a rural enough part of the country tho

2. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I'm still at home (sad face) I pay £130, but I pay for my own phone line and internet connection too, so its about £160.

3. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

i've moved out a couple of times in the past, but because it was cities i ended up in (leeds and then sheffield) i couldn't handle it and had to move home again.

handing it much better this time though -- i houseshare with my girlfriend and her brother. i bring home around £1000 a month (it's either just over or just under, depending on if i've done any extra hours) so my share of the rent is around 20% of my wages. obviously there's bills/saving heaped on-top and i share a car with my girlfriend (although i barely get to use it -- she uses it for work and i get the bus because my job is literally a couple of minutes away. as such i barely contribute anything towards it) i'm probably left with about 20% of my wages to myself at the end of the month.

the house is around £600 per month and the area i live in is about five minutes from the centre of telford. it's not the nicest place, but it's quiet enough and could be much worse i suppose :D

(plus the local pub is only a couple of doors down the street from me, haha)

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Nice dream for some of us. Student here, and my rent this year is 27% of my income. Last year it was 49%. The only way I could get it to 27% was by moving in with my girlfriend and another couple, into a small two-bed flat over the (main) road from junkie-central.

Up here in Aberdeen, you're looking at £600/mo for a dingy two bed, maybe £550/mo for a tiny single bed place, and if you want a two bedroom place that actually has some redeeming features, <£750/mo is a pipe-dream.

That's all pre-tax, pre-bills, of course. 1/4 of your income is probably a good rule of thumb if you're not living in a very expensive city, and you earn a decent amount. But as a student living in a very expensive city, 1/4 is barely achievable and that's only with a tiny square meterage per person.

5. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Currently paying about 35% of my income on rent, that doesn't cover the council tax or the bills.

6. JasonCase24

JasonCase24 What's a Dremel?

I can't give you a precise solution on your problem cause I have my own house. The online advise that I could give to you is if you can pay your bills using your personal earnings, then why don't you leave your place now. If possible, simply invest to real estate. Meaning get your own house, at first that could be a big problem at the top of your head, but eventually that's something you could be proud. I believe living at your place is pretty much expensive if you actually live to other places around the world. So check every possibility by yourself.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

What jason said :D :thumb:

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i'm probably in the 35-40% bracket. My rent is around $920 a month (canadian)

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

+1

Unless your a high earner you wont be able to achieve that in Aberdeen unless you are prepared to live in some very dodgy places.

10. el2k

el2k Modder

I live at home and pay 25%... Only take home around £1000 and give my parents £250...
    But i still get everything done for me... Cooking, Cleaning, Washing, Ironing.. Internet payed for etc....

I'm 21 so i should start looking to be independent soon, But i got it so easy and don't want to leave!!

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Rent is £366 a month
    So 22% (after tax)

But... Internet bills come to about £50 total. BT £12, BE £18, Giganews £20ish
    Electricity we pay quarterly, but that's about £80 each. Same for gas. Water is about £30. Council tax is stupid... about £400 or something.

I wish I could live at home for a year with my parents. I'd able to stick a decent deposit down on a house/flat with what I'd save! Unfortunately, I think I might go mad. A day or two a month is enough family time for me :p

12. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Rent of £253.34 per month sharing with two others. Bills come to £84.45 each. Am a student so no council tax comes to about 3/5 of my monthly income. And to refute the posts above this is in Aberdeen.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Where in gods name do you live in Aberdeen?

14. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Froghall so it kind of proves your point about areas with a bad rep but have never had any problems. Mind you spent half my childhood in Torry so this may be considered a step up not that i had any problems personally in Torry.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I bring home £1,300 a month currently, and the other half between £800 and £900, giving us a total of £2,100-2,200.

Of that, £950 goes on rent and another £150 on Council Tax, taking it to over 50% of our income. Oxford is just that expensive.

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

"£950 goes on rent and another £150 on Council Tax,"

dear lord..:jawdrop:

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Welcome to the world of just outside london. Single bed flat in guildford or outliers is easily minimum £750 unless you live in a squatter.

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

About 12 years ago I sold my house in london paid of every thing and bought 2 house's for cash where I live now and rented out one of houses , 5 years later I sold the rented house for as much as I paid for the 2 houses .
    House prices and rent is a joke now so much money for a basic thing like somewhere to live.

19. fev

fev Industry Fallout

My rent is 27% of my take home on a month, £450 a month in rent + £90 council tax

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You wouldn't buy a house in either Torry or Froghall though. One of my colleagues lives in Froghall and he's had his car vandalised quite a few times. He says its great after a night out as there is always a mattress or sofa to sit on if you get tired on the walk home. :D