1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows A price increase?! I am OUTRAGED! You should be too!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tareq, 23 Feb 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

Yes, this is your own opinion which i respect and it's all good. But, i'm protesting and ranting about the US rerail pricing in relation to the standard retail price of US PC games. I'm not aware of the situation in UK.

FYI: they do have DRM and you can't play their games unless ur contected to their servers. i.e. you can't play a LAN game of starcraft 2 without loggin into battle.net. In addition, assassin's creed 2 from Ubsoft cost now $60 and it has draconian DRM where u are required to be contected online 24/7 while your playing the game even though the game is single player.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2010
  2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'm seriously beginning to smell troll. First you mention draconian DRM, but you can't provide any evidence to back it up.

If you genuinely have this background in economics, you would know that one of the first lessons in business is the concept that something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Therefore, people obviously assessed Modern Warfare 2 as worth the price they were being charged as it had record breaking sales.

3. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

FYI: they do have DRM and you can't play their games unless ur contected to their servers. i.e. you can't play a LAN game of starcraft 2 without loggin into battle.net. In addition, assassin's creed 2 from Ubsoft cost now $60 and it has draconian DRM where u are required to be contected online 24/7 while your playing the game even though the game is single player.

4. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

If this is not draconian DRM then i don't know what is.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Yet again, the smell of troll becomes a stench.

For YOUR information: Starcraft 2 does not support LAN play at all. So what you describe is nothing to do with DRM or security. Second, this whole thread is about Activision/Blizzard and their games and price increases, so what Ubisoft do or not do is irrelevant. For someone whose (allegedly) so well educated, you do not seem to have won over a single person or presented your argument in an articulate way.

EDIT: Quoting your own posts to give the impression that someone else has quoted your point is really rather desperate.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2010
  6. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I'm bored... I declare myself out

7. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

no, if you were actaully reading the pervious posts u would have knew that I was expressing worry that this is might become a trend. Where we pay more and get less (NO LAN (due to DRM, mr. educated guy) in starcraft and 24/7 connection with Ubsoft servers). Again, maybe you should read the whole thread again and then make corresponding comments. O, you don't need to question my education bc i'm not questioning your credentials.

8. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

O, please. Are we at that level now? Nevemind me.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Firstly, theres no way for anyone to know that no LAN in Starcraft 2 is anything to with DRM. The main fact is that DRM as it is defined is not present significantly in Blizzard games. It might be your opinion that they removed LAN to try to stop piracy, but theres no way to know. But, you don't have to be connected to the internet to play, like Assassin's Creed 2, so I don't see the comparison. And again, how are we getting less? Blizzard's budgets are much larger than they were for each game, so if anything, we are getting more?

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's always precisely a two-minute interval between Ph4ZeD's and tareq's posts. Not attempting to derail the thread, just an observation...

11. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Though I suspect troll, I just wanted to mention that the latest edition of The Bonus Round over at gametrailers.com are discussing the state of the industry of the moment and happen to touch on some of the issues which may address your concerns.

If you wont take it from a panel industry experts then I will definitely reside to you being a troll.

12. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I stopped replying to his posts because it turned from a constructive discussion into a personal argument.

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I realise you are probably trolling, but on the offchance this is an epic opportunity to witness someone arguing hand over tongue something clearly and blatently wrong, im going to continue :p

Uh, you do know the main angst with DRM was the problems it caused with regards to making copies of your own games and music as opposed to pirates complaining they couldn't pirate ? You also realise this is pretty much the best best way to go about it, because (if like me) you have lost your warcraft 3 cd, or (if like me) you raped your wrath of the lich king dvd the day you bought it, then you can just go to the interwebs, get an iso, and still play the game you paid for, an blizzard still require me to pay them for the exceptional games they have created. Blizzard and me wins.

Also, l2 private server, http://www.xtremetop100.com/world-of-warcraft for example (they suck, but you get what you pay for!).

Yep, and by the end of next year $200, then $400! Then back to $20, BUT THEN $600!!

Apparently having a degree in something doesn't mean you have to be any good at it, this makes me feel sad about my degree :(

Sure they do- but how the hell can I trust that ? You think im gonna go out and spent £30 on a game from a developer I dont know or trust ? I've been playing blizzard games since WC1, I still have the original box. I trust I get what I pay for. The only other company this works for in my life is Pixar.

14. tareq

tareq What's a Dremel?

Are u serious? you are still going over this? I'm over this discussion man, play the heck of whatever you want. I love your rationale and good luck with your degree. I don't know who's trolling in these forums but O well.

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I think the increase is justified. These games have been in development for years. They deserve to see a return in their investment.
    I dont think it will become a trend. Maybe for games that take forever to make. Duke nukem could well cost over $1,000.....
    But for the "regular" games, I dont think people will pay more money for "lesser" titles. So the makers wont be able to charge as much for them.
    Which when you think of it, is the system that we have right now anyway. Big games cost big money. Little games cost little.
    Besides, game makers deserve raises after all the work they have put in. And that money has to come from somewhere.

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Then start a new thread, because as long as this one is going then the discussion is open :)

Thanks for the good luck but i've already graduated.

17. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

On the subject of them being always connected to the internet :)

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Certainly has its benefits. I wish all the steam games used cloud storage - Psychonauts savegame loss has broken my will to ever play that game again.

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I'm confused now, what were we arguing about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.