1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

How disappointing. Looks like I'm sticking with my 285 for a while longer.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Price is insane it will still sell though, for folding alone it's the new king

Most sites are recording 13000ppd

3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

the only driver update to include a free pair of earplugs ;)

4. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

Can someone explain to me why people here have this folding fetish? and why would i want to buy a card simply for doing that, instead of doing some REAL work on it? And i define real work as something that can earn money and actually pay for the investment in the card, and not some arbitrary folding app.

5. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I'm struggling to justify a new system thanks to the E6600/8800GTX combo I got 3 years ago.

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Very disappointed :(

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Made to compete with 5870? Sure, in the beginning. 6 months is a life time in graphics terms and it should really outshine its direct competitors.

[​IMG]

8. impar

impar Minimodder

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

There was nothing we could do about the GT200 performance - our benchmark just wouldn't play ball, with stuttering all over the place (hence the whack min fps' on the GTX 295 and GTX 285). It's obvious where the driver is working though - check the 1920x1200 x4 an x8 AA to see.

The ATI cards dropping down at 4xAA but coming back at 8xAA was something we saw in a lot of tests and on all three ATI cards - they just seem to be better optimised for 8xAA.

10. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

lolled so hard @ oven gloves. :D

11. October

October Mariachi Style

LOL The 4890 is 23% faster than the 480 in Stalker... No matter how much improvement comes from driver revision, thats pretty friggin dire.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

playing games is a work related task ? lol @ lightning

folding at least gives something back when your pc is doing little.

this is not a fan boy post its just fact. ( i own a 5850 ) (and want crossfire 5870)

its a disapointing release of the graphics card but it will still sell for fermi.

13. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

First of all, why are you running the 8800GT for PhysX? It's the better-performing card of the two. Swap them over for an INSTANT performance boost.

Secondly, the recommended power supply is a 600W MINIMUM for Fermi. If that's a good-brand PSU, it should see you through, but you'll be severely bottlenecked by your system, most notably the CPU.

In your shoes, I'd turn the 7750BE, 9600GT, Blu-Ray drive etc into a media PC in a smaller case, whack it under my TV, and plug the 8800GT into a Phenom II/Core i5 rig. Probably spend a similar amount on components as you would on a GTX 480 and the stuff you'd need to make sure it didn't reach boiling point (read: Antec 1200 and a boat-load of fans minimum, TJ07 and water-cooling set recommended).

However, this is just my opinion - this is how I think I'd get the most enjoyment out of your current setup, and it allows flexibility - if you buy a cheapy single-PCB GTX295, you can use the 8800GT as a PhysX card, and have the gaming grunt for 1920x1080-1200 resolutions, without the massive heat issues. Plus, the 9600GT will play most games quite comfortably at 720p resolutions, so a couple of wired Xbox controllers would give you a system under the TV for some more casual gaming.

14. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 27 Mar 2010
  15. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

Like i said in my previous posts i don't plan on using such a card for gaming... although i'll probably get a quadro fermi when it's released. So no, i don't consider gaming a work related task :D But since everyone keeps mentioning this folding, i figured i'd just comment on it a bit. Never did find much use for it anyways...

As for games, I have a 2 year old 4870 that works great for any game currently available... and was just hanging on to this launch to see if it would be worth upgrading in the next 6 months.

And for "doing something while the PC is idle... i'd much rather keep it idle, not waste power and pretend its a heater not a computer.

16. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

ATI burned me way to many times with DOA cards... im not dealing with their trash anymore.

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Moyo2k likes this.
  18. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

Considoring F@H is supposed to be making a client based on ATI im not worring about folding performance - Not when ATI is such good value

19. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

I would have liked to have seen some video encoding, image processing numbers....

20. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Personally I know where you're coming from but for me I got my 750w because of it's quietness at the power levels I'd be using it at, I will only ever be using a single GPU card which as the ATX limit is 300w, leaves me with 400w~ leftover for all my other devices which is just way more than I could ever get from a CPU, mobo, storage and peripherals. The only time I'd use 2 graphics cards is if physx gets more popular then I'd get a sub 100w nvidia card for physx and be done. So while I could've got a 1KW+ power supply it would be pointless because I would never use close to the 750w that I have :D

EDIT: As for the is 700w enough question you should always take manufacturer power requirements with a grain of salt, the card only takes up 250w~ and there's no way the other components in your system would take up 450w so you should be fine.

Tags: Add Tags