1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

When G80 was released, the drivers left a lot to be desired, but they got better. I hope we'll see the same with the GF100 drivers.

OpenCL scores on the anandtech website are awesome though..
    Clicky

2. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Aaawwww... The art of arguing over what $500 card to buy to play my $50 game. Beautiful!

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

You mean gameS

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Keep the trolling to a minimum please, as difficult as that might be.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

;)

And Warrior, you clearly ignored the score it got then. :p;)

6. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

I know the score it's gotten, I'm an Nvidia fan. I purchased two 9800 GX2s right after launch remember? Good ole' Quad SLI! Well, Quad SLI sucked and Nvidia promptly canceled the card 2-3 months later (without any decent explanation) in favor of the GTX 280. I spent MORE (at the time) than what they're asking for two Fermi cards now, if I'm not mistaken. I think that Nvidia makes the best cards hands down. You are paying a premium price for a premium piece of equipment. I can afford this. HOWEVER! Has the software caught up to the hardware? Where are the games that take advantage of this card? Since my flesh still bears the burn marks, I'll stand back on Fermi for the moment...waaaay back.

7. unaligned

unaligned What's a Dremel?

I'm curious if you can read, it appears not. All of the cards/solutions that score better than the 480 on that page you linked are DUAL-GPU solutions; 480 is a SINGLE-GPU solution. It outperforms the second-place SINGLE-GPU solution - the 5870 (which is beat out by dual 5770s).

Brilliant!

8. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I think he's right enough actually, according to those benchmarks at least.

If you scroll down to see the results with 4xAA, the 5770 does indeed beat the GTX 480.

9. unaligned

unaligned What's a Dremel?

Yes, apparently it is I who can't read. Shame on me. Ouch. Though I will say those results seem a tad bit off. 9800GT loses to 9600GT? At 0xAA the 5870 beats the 5870 2GB? GTX 295 loses to 5750 AND 4770? Something is up there.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2010
  10. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Gutted. Was really hoping this would be a good card to upgrade from 295GTX. May as well get 5870 and crossfire it. Very saddened.

11. veato

veato I should be working

To be fair they're only testing at 1280x1024. I'd like to see how the HD5770 does at 1920x1200 compared to the GTX480. It does look a bit ATI biased too. Meh.

Edit: just had a look at their same tests for the same game but at the res I mentioned with 4xAA and 16xAF. The GTX480 is third only behind the dual GPU and crossfire setups.

12. hrtz_Junkie

hrtz_Junkie Controversial by Nature

Im sorry but I fail to see how even just from these 4 game benches and one 3d mark score (in wich nvidia kills ati even with its previos generations) how you can call fermi a flop???????? esp considering this is nvidea's first d-x11 part with early driver's where as ati have had some months to refine there's!!

Admitedly the card seems not to like direct x 10 games so much, but seeing the trouble I've had recently getting dx10 hardware to run dx11 games(AvP2/Metro), it's not so serprising, it's possible a driver update may fix this.

My prediction is that particularlly in new ip's featuring high levels off tessalation and Dx11 features is where fermi will shine (litterally) like a star, hot yes but utterrly brilliant in a crazy but cool way!!!

On a personal note tho I probbably will get a cheap 5850 stopgap card for my current rig while I plan my new i7 + 2xFermi (hopefully/maybe fully unlocked running 2 or even 3gb ddr5) using duel radiator systems!!

best get saving innit!

Warning to those considering buying current fermi sli solution's make sure you check the thermal case requirements with nvidea "BEFORE" you put them in !!

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It is Tuesday...
    Was nVidia cheating on DX11 Dirt 2 or not?

14. hrtz_Junkie

hrtz_Junkie Controversial by Nature

I'm am a little dishapointed with nvidea's latest however I'm not conviced that the word flop should be applied just yet!!

The crysis result is a serprise tho? possibly incompatibility's beetween dx10 and 11 hopefully a better driver should sort that out.

I'm willing to bet when more games come out that take advantage off direct x 11 and tessallation the fermi gpu will start to outpace the competition more,.

Just look at it's dirt 2 performance, its sniffing at the heals of a £500 5970!! If it could get a few more benches like that it would start to justify it's huge price tag and tdp!!!!

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/1

their review seems to be pretty good....

overall average; 480/470 seems to edge their ATI counterpart ever so slightly, but at a much higher cost.

personally though, i'll probably grab the 470 once it hits $299. for Dx11 card with solid driver (yes, biased fanboi loved geforce driver much more than ATI craptalyst), awesome performance, and 2x6pin which my GamXtreme700 can support... its a good deal! heck, ive paid like $330 for 8800gts640... LOL....

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Question is:
    Is GTX480 really applying DX11 to Dirt 2?

17. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Short answer: No.

Long answer: 2 page article Baz is finishing up right now.

18. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Justify it's price tag perhaps, but it's tdp, is way too hot. It may be that nvidia's partners may come up with a more effective cooling solution to help offset the extreme heat output.

With the tdp being so high, we should watch out for the first kettle mod and record breaking attempts to boil water based on the nvidia 480, lol

19. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Any news on a mobile part?

20. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

Yes there is.

Sadly you only have a battery life of four minutes. However that is offset by the fact it immolates you after three minutes. Still, at least it's 10% faster, eh.

Tags: Add Tags