1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Alienware AW2310 23.5in 3D TFT Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 22 Apr 2010.

1. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Lotus *are* the best of the new F1 teams, and their car is sexy to boot. I don't feel the same about this monitor though - or anything from Alienware for that matter.

+1 to that

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Can I ask the theory behind why a higher refresh rate would offset input lag? It either has input lag or it doesn't.....

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I think an article on input lag and refresh rates would be interesting , julian makes a good point.

given the ips screens have refresh rates of >10 ms (often >20) and perhaps all screens have an input lag of 20 ms - does it matter? or is it 20+20 =40 ms total lag?

given we swapped back to cabled mice and keyboards because of the noticiable wireless lag it would be good to have bit-techs views.

also interested how lag measured with the measurement software used here.

4. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

5. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Yep, you're right that a higher refresh rate won't affect input lag, but the sentence was actually: 'We didn’t notice any input lag, though, and the worrisome response time test results of the Lagom tests didn’t prove distracting in practice. This is probably due to the 120Hz refresh rate offsetting the poor response time.'

As the screen refreshes more often (120 times rather than 60), it offsets some of the blurriness that a high response time can cause. You could argue that we should have used a dash rather than the full stop - that might have prevented the confusion.

anyhoo, hope that answers the question!

6. memeroot

nice - thanks :)

7. Muunsyr

Muunsyr What's a Dremel?

Your image of the input lag shows the alienware with a time showing 7.553s and the dell showing 7.537s. Is that timer counting up or down? And if it is counting up, does that mean that the alienware has 16ms *less* input lag? Or am I missing something? It is rather late here, I am assuming I am missing something.

8. memeroot

nice query, I presume its counting down? bit-tech?

9. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I agree with Storm20200 about the rip-off UK prices.

The monitor aint too bad though.

10. humdrumian_monkey

humdrumian_monkey What's a Dremel?

UK prices are always a rip off.

11. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

I would think that the pricing is based on the number of consumers in each area. The USA would have a bigger consumer base so shops could afford to sell at cheaper prices as they will sell more.

Last edited: 20 May 2010
  12. Disco

Disco What's a Dremel?

Your right, the Alienware monitor has virtually no input lag, as is the same with all the 120Hz monitors. The test has been read wrong. :duh:

The Dell 3008WFP-HC is not practically lag-free. To compare input lag bit-tech would be better off using a CRT screen instead as these are practically lag-free.

If you are reading reviews of monitors you should also be aware that 'pixel response time' is not related to 'input lag'.

I am only just looking at buying a 120Hz monitor for 2D gaming hence the lateness of the comment. I thought it might be handy for anybody else considering this monitor and worrying about the stated input lag.

PS I love bit-tech. My comment is meant to be helpful and hopefully doesn't sound bitchy. Please read it in a 'light, airy tone of pointing out something to a friend' rather than in an 'angry, sarcastic tone filled with bile at a hated enemy'. :D

13. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I would certainly be interested to read an article here or in Custom PC about why we seemingly pay double what things cost over the pond. As vat and import tax don't really add up to the massive jump in price we are expected to pay.

An example would be that a friend of mine had his Ipod 'washed' with his jeans by his girlfriend. So naturally he wanted it replaced. It was actually cheaper to buy an American one and have it sent to England, than to buy one here. It's mental.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2010
  15. 7ony

7ony What's a Dremel?

I get sick and tired of reading reviews and seeing negative comments about TN panels. While PVA and IPS panels offer better overall image quality they are generally more expensive and tend to suffer from poor response times and input lag in comparison to TN. For everyday use thats not a problem but if your a regular player of fast fps games it IS a problem. One of the reasons all the 3D monitors are based on TN is because they are aimed at gamers who generally want lag free gaming. Yes they look expensive next to a none 3D TN monitor but it allows the manufacturer to keep the cost of producing 3D monitors down. Imagine what the cost of an IPS or PVA 3D monitor would be! Something else i find frustrating is the fact that many reviews don't seem to tell you what the biggest advantage is about owning a 3D monitor. It's not the 3D but the fact you can run your games in 2D but at 120hz! The gaming experience is so much smoother and makes it feel more like you playing on a good CRT. If you shop around you can get a 120hz 3D monitor for under £200 and you dont have to buy the 3D kit if you don't want 3D. Buying 120hz and running it in 2D is worth the extra if your a keen gamer though.

16. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You logged in and necroed a thread just to rant? o_O

17. 7ony

7ony What's a Dremel?

And you logged in to be a smart arse. At least i logged in and ranted about 3D monitors.

Tags: Add Tags