1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Alienware AW2310 23.5in 3D TFT Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 22 Apr 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I dont have one of these screens, I have the Acer equiv

I would agree with many of the remarks regarding picture quality, for a main monitor your better with the NEC.

Colours, blacks etc. are realy not so great on TN and there is some bleeding on my acer.

3d vision is a fantastic toy though in my opinion offering a bigger graphics boost than any card will offer. however its not for long periods of gaming - more just bursts of fun before you turn it off and get serious (a button press away at any time)

I was very supprised with the ghosting and response time remarks, my acer has none of these issue and from other reviews the 120htz monitors have shown the best response times of any monitor - certainly better than the NEC. I'd be interested in more details.

as for em I'm fairly happy with my Dell main monitor and the acer as a gaming monitor - would get the NEC if I could find a nvidia card to support all three.. cant realy justify 2 470's, a mobo that could add a monitor when not gaming would be interesting... perhaps MaxiVista would help?

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

So, crap screen. Crap tech? .. :sigh:

4. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Im interested in 3d for a media pc but not in Nvidia's shutter glasses solution.
    Does ATi offer any solution either for use with passive polarized glasses or with special 3d monitors with built in filters? If so are these standards CURRENTLY supported and working?

5. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

We've seen demos of polarized glasses from ATI, but afaik there's no driver support yet, sorry.

6. memeroot

iZ3D's Stereoscopic Driver
    TriDef 3D Stereoscopic Driver

7. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

Back in my day, we had the same argument about the change from 1D to 2D LCD monitors. Some people won't be satisfied until we have 7D monitors!

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Anyone know of any plans to do these 3D glasses with prescription lenses?...... That is the only way I would ever be able to use them and still make out what I am trying to see

9. memeroot

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Oh my god, where do they get off charging £449 in the uk and $449 in the us? That pricing is bloody ridiculous and you only get a crappy TN panel? Do they actually think they'll sell any monitors here with that pricing? o_O

11. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

+1 what a ripoff!
    Asus has done even worse with the G73JH-A1, $1699 in the states and £1899 here.
    Bit-tech: how about an article pressing manufacturers as to why they rape the UK? maybe start an embargo on one manufacturer.....

12. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

I'd like to hope that educated consumers of the sort that frequent Bit-tech have an unofficial embargo on anything Alienware put their name to. Some of the hardware combinations they've tried to push in systems over the years (8600gt in SLI, anyone?) just show them as relying on the ignorance of the consumer to make their buck.

With you guys on the pricing... it's poor value for money in dollars (T&N panel???) & absolutely insulting in GBP. I only hope the sales figures reflect this.

Quote:
    Bit-tech: how about an article pressing manufacturers as to why they rape the UK?

+1

13. memeroot

Still at least alienware is still a functioning firm, look what has happened to the once glorius voodoo!

regarding the pricing - they're probably predicting the exchange rate in 6 months.

14. shah

shah Minimodder

That is an expensive monitor.

Quote:
    Bit-tech: how about an article pressing manufacturers as to why they rape the UK?

+2

Quote:
    regarding the pricing - they're probably predicting the exchange rate in 6 months.

I doubt that will happen any time soon.

15. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Please can we stop talking about rape? it's not a pleasant subject.

Part of the reason for the price parity is that the UK price includes 17.5% VAT and import charges - it might not be the manufacturer's fault at all. It's an interesting topic and one we can look into if enough people show interest.

16. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

VAT would bump the price to about £345 from roughly £293. Even then the gap is extreme; I for one would love a chance to hear an explanation from the manufacturers.

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The glasses can be worn over normal prescription spectacles, apparently.

18. infi

infi What's a Dremel?

I don't consider shutter glasses and alternating frames a "real" 3D technology, I also only consider Imax with 2 projectors real 3D cinema. why don't you check out the hyundai screens, they actually have real 3D screens that offer differently polarized lines so both images are visible at the same time viewed through polarising glasses.
    I'm talking about the Hyundai W220S and W240S.

19. Denis_iii

Rape is the best way to describe these international monoliths treatment of the UK market. Its not just tech good, its clothing and more but UK VAT isn't to blame.

I've had several quotes on shipping the Asus G73JH-A1 from US to UK which average $100/ £65 (Standard) $150/ £100 (Express)

Asus G73JH-A1 US RRP: $1699 + 17.5% Vat = $1996 = £1296 + £100 shipping =Total: £1400+- (Imported)
    Asus G73JH-A1 UK RRP £1899

In the UK It costs £500 more then in the US and thats including UK Vat AND International shipping? Yes I do realise prices have dropped off now that several etailers have said laptop but the origanly RRP and selling price was £1899. You can get it now for about £1820 at Scan including shipping and cheaper elsewhere but its still a very large price difference.

......maybe the UK keyboard layout is extremely expensive to produce and fit........after all Asus is one of the largest IT manufacturers on the glode so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt as no company with a large marget share will use that to profiteer. Nvidia and Intel definately didn't.

I've brought up the Asus as I've compared UK to US prices as I wanted to purchase one but I will def be looking into how the Alienware monitor adds up.

Customers drive the market. If we don't want to be ripped off its up to us to stand up and do something. Now I don't have the knowledge nore connections to do this but if Bit-tech were to take up the mantle i'm sure others will follow. Yes, there is risk but if we never took a risk we'd still be huddled in a cave wishing we were brave enough to bang those 2 rocks together close to that drive tinder over there.

TWeaK likes this.
  20. Denis_iii

my bad, rant over

Tags: Add Tags