1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Thoughts on Cheats and Walkthroughs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 May 2010.

1. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

It's pretty simple for me: in single player, cheats are fine, in multiplayer they aren't.

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

What do you mean by 'hard'? If we're talking about Ultra Violence, then I can assure you that I, and many many others, have beaten the game (and Doom II, for that matter) without cheating. I never beat it on Nightmare level though.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Th only game I'm playing these days in X3 Terran Conflict and I did look at the walkthrough on the first plot just to make sure I understood what they were after. There's a massive library fo scipts for the game and it's up to you to decide which ones count as cheats, then again it's a huge sandbox game and they do allow people to modify the game to suit their interests and gamestyle. There's no multiplayer (and long may it stay that way) so there isn't too much stress about it.

4. JamButty

JamButty Risking life and limb for Blighty!

I totally agree with the previous posts, if you're off line playing single player then walkthroughs can help avoid some of the frustrations involved in becoming stuck and repeating sections over and over. If you're online though I fail to see the attaction, utterly pointless...

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Ah yes, its all about timing the rocket launcher. You need to shoot a rocket into the garage as you drive past to get rid of the first merc jeep and then just concentrate on the helicopter

6. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

As with everyone else online cheating, Just say NO!!
    As for single player, I will play the game through once and see what cheats are available for the game. If I see code I think will make the game more fun I turn them on. Nothing like GTA with tons of guns on massive rampages or HL2, especially SMOD, where you have all the guns and you can just rocket launcher everything.

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

some games, i'll get the trainers / garage editors, whatnot ... on the second play thru.

gta:sa ive played thru at least 5 times ... with a different trainer each time. i think i finally found all the cool stuff. not interested in god mode, or whatever. sometimes ammo cheats for random rampages ... garage editors are fun, so you always have wheels of choice handy.

HL2 with nothing but the shotgun was fun ... but only after i had played it all the way thru without cheats. max ammo 999 and number_pellets 200 ... instant boomstick.

one of the nfs night games i messed around with the money and nitro cheats ... just messing around. never played em online ... but going 300 mph in a blurry miata - priceless.

8. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

Some games can be greatly improved by what some might call cheating. Far Cry kinda sucked in some of the later levels when the mutants start showing up, especially when they're creeping around the island alongside the people. I found the mutants really annoying - far too much shooting needed to kill, and too lethal when surprised by them. So I wrote a mod that I called WeakMutants, which dialed back their damage and hit-points. Since I only really enjoyed the levels vs human enemies, this made a lot more of the later levels fun.

9. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Timurids in Medieval II Total War, they really really ruined the game for me.

I mean, who spects Artillery Tanks to appear in medieval times?, and not just 1, or 20, but 60 or 80 of them in one single battle.

So, what did i do to solve the problem?. Edit the file that indicates when and how many units are going to spawn, so they can be easily defeatable by any faction, and then ofc restart the whole campaing again.

kthnxbye

10. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I used a YouTube walkthrough to help me complete Mirrors Edge. I would like to say for the record I only used it a couple of times as such and it was a very good video, very well put together and the guy who was playing through was absolutely amazing at controlling Faith, he had obviously had lots of practice - if anyone is stuck I highly recommend it.

Single player cheats that can be installed I have no problem with but won't actually use them myself.

Multiplayer ... no. All online cheaters should be chemically castrated and banished to an island of ravenous wild animals and made to grow-the-****-up. Many years of playing public servers has made me an extremist ... and breaaaath .... ahhhh .... thankfully I have noticed that there are hardly any cheaters on the CSS servers or any other servers I generally play on.

11. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

walkthroughs and player's guides are good to have just in case. Plus, I enjoy collecting player's guides. I do not use cheats though because if you use them it usually gives you no reason to advance in the game, and actually earn what you have. The last time I "cheated" was to bring the robot back to life I accidentally killed in Fallout 3 in the black and white part of the game.

12. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I'll use a walk through or a character creation sheet and look at reviews of how people played an rpg so as to have a decent character in the endgame, but I don't usually use a walk through. Although I did use a walk through on Fallout 2 the last time I have played it and that was because I have never beaten that game but played through most of it up until the end and I just wanted to make a crazy character. For example I wanted to know what criteria I need to get the sniper perk, or how do I make a character who is crazy at melee. My favorite though for Fallout 2 was the how to get advanced power armor at the beginning of the game, that made the game FUN for me, because I just blew through all the parts of the game I have played through some many times before that way I can play the endgame.

I don't use cheats but don't care if you do, unless you're this one friend I know who uses cheats for every game I've seen him play then I get throughly pissed by them.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I use walkthroughs on parts get stuck.. just like joe =] man you are the real deal- only a real gamer would get excited opening up a game lol

latest was in assassins creed 2.. couldn't figure out how to get on top of that tower in altair's memory after chasing his target.. watched a video

I'd rather do that than spend a hour trying different things.. tomb raider for some reason is an exception- it was fun figuring out the puzzles

14. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

last time: dragon age bridge puzzle... i couldn't bring myself to care about the stupid puzzle that required me to remember too many positions, so i just took the youtube video about it next to me and did it like that.
    also, diablo 2 a long time a go: after getting about lvl 96 'legit', couldn't go on levelling, knowing it takes forever, so used a char editor to make me some charms that increased xp gained :)

15. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

d2: i only played single player due to no internet back then :)

16. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

I remember being thoroughly satisfied after completing GTA3 with no cheats, having even saved the bullet-proof hummer for the last level at the huge Dam (does make it very do-able with that vehicle) all through the game, and then going back to the start, and honestly, without cheats i'd never play it again.

There is something entirely childish and playful about spawing a LOAD of weapons, a tank, the "cars fly" mode, then flying round in the tank (turret pointed backwards) and taking out as many people as possible. The real challenge then is how many police stars can you weather and for how long before you get creamed.

As everyone is saying, online cheating is just a definite no, yet there are cheats in every game i play. Grid has people who use some sort of modded spec fiels for their cars to make them faster, QUake 4 has people spawning wherever they like and walking through invisible walls etc etc... those people really must have no life, cos whenever i see them, along with most people, we either kick them or just find a new server to play on.

17. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

I quite like reading the walkthroughs after I've completed a game, the authors have often not just played the game through loads but also in some cases looked at the actual data files, so you get some interesting insights that you may have missed through trying not to die. I don't use cheats though, but I expect some of the older games might be a lot harder to beat without cheating.

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

No-one's said anything about when cheats become acceptable in multiplayer such as modded servers.

Pissing around with some mates on Left 4 Dead spawning propane tanks everywhere is fun too.

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheating is great occasionally in some single player games :D, it's when butt heads cheat on multiplayer games or mess around with the game engine I find utterly unacceptable & it's something I never have or will do, gta iv being 1 of my favourite multiplayers (the racing mainly) that got destroyed by mass cheating, the only spawning that ever entertained me in gta iv was the occasional ramp placed in a good spot :D but that was rare.

20. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

No-one's really mentioned collectibles either. Maybe no-one is as much of a trophy/achievement whore/completionist as I am, but it's not exactly a display of skill to search out every corner of a map to find everything (e.g. Hidden Packages), so I think using walkthroughs in such scenarios is more than acceptable; it's necessary!

For me, at least, it was great to see that a location guide for all the treasures in Assassin's Creed II was available within the game itself (yes, I got them all...). The option was there if you wanted it.

I think this idea needs to be taken further though, with collectibles being more rewarding (in-game, not just trophies/achievements) and being more difficult to obtain than just buying a cheap map and climbing a few buildings. I'm sure there are examples of games that do something like this, but I'd like to see it more often.

Tags: Add Tags