1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Ultimate steal - Windows 7 Professional is back

Discussion in 'Software' started by FelixTech, 12 May 2010.

1. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

After Christmas they took down Windows 7 from their Ultimate Steal website, but it looks like it's back! They have raised the price from £30 to £45 though :eeek:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

I wanted to buy it before but hesitated because I thought that Windows 7 couldn't possibly be worth the hassle of upgrading until I get a new PC.:duh: I think my PC (still working the 8800GTX hard :thumb:) should be good for a while longer but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and buy Windows 7 now, giving me the additional benefits of 64 bit. Is it worth going from Vista to 7 yet or should I wait and hope the price drops again? (Or should I blow my loan on completely new rig :lol:)

2. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

I recently upgraded to 7 from Vista, it was only 32-bit but I can't fathom how I managed before the upgrade. My computer now responds straight from login rather than waiting for 5 minutes to sort everything out.
    And programs tend to stay responsive when using them, instead of crashing for 20 minutes right after opening them.

Last edited: 12 May 2010
  3. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I thought I'd have a look at the third-party student software retailers and all of them offer a slightly lower price, with the cheapest being £34. Bargain!

EDIT: Turns out that site charges £8 for delivery. £42 seems to be the minimum (delivered or downloaded).

Last edited: 12 May 2010
  4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Thought I'd point out, http://www.software4students.co.uk/ seems like a legit website and appear to sell windows 7 pro for £42.95 which is a great offer but it's a complete scam.

I managed to get mine whilst the ultimate steal was running but after it ended a friend of mine tried to get the same offer but it had ended so tried this website instead.

All he got was a generic disc with 'Windows 7' written on it in sharpie and the unlock code that came with it was fake.

Just a word of warning.

5. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Oh dear :S They probably just download it off Microsoft and burn it for you. I know if you take the offer directly from Microsoft then you have to download and burn it yourself (although as far as I know the unlock code shouldn't be fake!). I know a couple of friends who bought it direct and they didn't seem to have any problems.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I've used software4students before, and got Office Professional Plus. Perfectly legit disc and everything.

I got my Win7 copy off MSDNAA for free, :D. Got about 3 copies of XP too, :D.

Wonder how Win 7 Pro would run on my Samsung NC10??

7. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Installed 7 Pro on my GF's 2GB RAM Intel Atom netbook (Acer one i think) and it runs really well, I was pleasantly surprised so for an NC10 it shouldnt be much different.

8. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I'm going to be grabbing my 2 copies of 7 from the MSDNAA soon (love the MSDNAA, tis awesome) and I'll be sticking 7 Pro on my NC10 very soon as well.

So if I do it soon enough I'll post if its any good, mind you, I had the RC on there, just didn't use it much.

9. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I've heard from someone (in RL) that a Microsoft Engineer told them to steer clear of the MSDNAA copies of Windows as unlike many other Academic freebies/offers from Microsoft they are NOT identical to a retail release. Apparently the code is much more wasteful and just generally not as watertight. I also don't like the idea of a forced reinstall when I leave uni and cannot access MSDNAA anymore :eeek:

10. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

win7 runs well on an NC10 - 2gb RAM is a must though

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i know people that have used software4students and had zero problems.

all ordered windows 7 pro which i installed for them when they bought it.

disc was valid and the key was legit

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have used 7 on my laptop and desktop for a while now, from MSDNAA. No problems despite not having connected to the uni network for nearly a year with the desktop.

13. miester7

miester7 My single core cpu plays crysis

Sweet, I need the pro version not home! thanks.

14. miester7

miester7 My single core cpu plays crysis

Maybe not so sweet. Its only the upgrade edition not full:(

15. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Unless you have Windows Vista Business, the Win7 Pro Upgrade version does a FULL INSTALLATION. :thumb:

Please scroll down to the install table here

It's abit of hassle making it into a boot-able dvd once you've downloaded it, but it is possible and it works! Just google it.

16. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I honest can't see why they would give away a different ISO to the OEM's.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the code will work with damn near any install disc (with the Pro files), as with all other codes, so it's not exactly an issue.

17. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

18. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

unknowngamer that's the one that I said has a £7.99 delivery cost. :eyebrow:

Hmmm. If you say there's you've had no problems with the MSDNAA version maybe I should stick a copy of it on my other hard drive (although it's a noisy Hitachi >_<). At the low low price of nothing maybe I should give it a go :dremel:

19. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I bought mine from pugh, which is also a partner of microsoft selling student software. Win 7 Pro was cheaper than at Software 4 Students, even with postage added on. It also arrived very quickly.

20. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Got mine from pugh too, just last week. Postage is a bit much, but at least it was fast - and it's still cheaper than anywhere else.