1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PhysX founder leaves Nvidia for AMD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I thought we were past the proprietary technology wars?

If Nvidia's latest extra technology is that it can grill your dinner, I don't want to know what AMD will come up with.

TWeaK likes this.
  3. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

interesting news. Interesing in that my next gfx card looks like an AMD, Dirextx 11 jobbie. As Glix says, I'd like to see if/how AMD can cook the Physx code into their line of GPUs.

4. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

I'm very interested to know how this will pan out... thanks for the heads up!

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's just one man. the IP is still with nVidia, so i agree with what's written there: won't be a huge hit for nVidia, they've already got all they needed.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The PhysX gimmick has been a factor for me continuing to use Nvidia. Truth be told, if the 5xxx series could also have done some sort of PhysX type malarcky, I would most likely have chosen 5870s instead.

I hope ATI come up with their own brand of PhysX that gives Nvidia a run for their money!

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

ATI needed this - as good as Richard Huddy is, he is an engineer. they need visionaries.

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Unlikely that they'd snatch anything away from nVidia - unless AMD has an on par/superior equivalent to the green's TWIMTBP program.

9. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

"We doubt it will be a huge hit to Nvidia - given the solid momentum both CUDA and PhysX has already - but it could be a good move for AMD as its competing technologies such as OpenCL and Stream computing don't have the same visibility in the consumer marketplace"

This paragraph makes it sound that OpenCL is AMD only. NVIDIA are one of the biggest investors in OpenCL and are hardly taking a back seat. Heck, OpenCL is more like CUDA than Stream.

10. mull

mull What's a Dremel?

Really interested in this. Nvidia bosses must be groaning at this news a bit.

11. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

AMD and Nvidia need to come up with a standard between them, or else it is us the customer who is getting screwed.

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

won't he have to wait 6months to "de program" himself so as not to pass on trade secrets? I wonder what went on behind the scenes with this story on both sides. Hopefully it isn't just money talking (who am I kidding really)

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Like OpenCL? ;)
    (well, we need a physics implementation to run on it, but meh :lol:)

death to proprietary/locked-down physics :p

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"We doubt it will be a huge hit to Nvidia - given the solid momentum both CUDA and PhysX has already "

I take issue with this statement. Nvidia has seen fit to lock out Ati cards when it comes pyshX since last summer; and just how many games, released in the last 18 months, have it available to be implemented?

15. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

They do (or too a degree), although ATI don't market everything they do as much as Nvidia.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

he's probably a spy xD opencl is the future though.. I really can't see anyone buying the newer line of nvidia cards- especially when proprietary physx can be done on the cpu..

think most of us know what physx is and why it tanked before nvidia took it over.. marketing!

17. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

If AMD actually enables some kind of "nvidia" physx support on their cards because of this, I wonder how long it will take nvidia to re-implement the use of physx on all cards like was available in the past without sorting to hacks.
    I refuse to buy nvidia products since they put a "ban" on being able to use a separate nvidia product for physx along with your main ATI card. I actually did go through that expense and I also have a stand alone physx card....... neither of which are of any use anymore. CYA, nividia!!!!! screw you.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Cool I want to see a push for OpenCL, I think its a much better platform then PhysX is but I have made that rant before lol so Im going to save my breathe on the matter, cant wait to see what goes on with all of this. :)

19. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

+rep for that!

20. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

Traitor!

This sucks.
    ****, Nvidia, what did we do to do THAT?!

Tags: Add Tags