1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: Two GeForce GTX 460s planned?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Jun 2010.

1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Sorry, slight typo :D

(fixed now).

My point still stands, it's still £25 better than it was, all fermi cards in fact have had a ten percent price drop and I can only think that will have a good increase in sales in the future.

I know people who have 200cfm delta fans strapped to their cpu coolers, and for those the increased heat generated by nVidia cards will not be a problem.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That small bus is more likely. But i'm willing to bet that they're going to another revision of this GTX460 like they did with the 8800GS/9600GSO/9600GSO.

3. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Given that GF104 in SLI will sport 40-60% more units than GTX 480, yet have a similar price, I hereby suggest that bit-tech run SLI benchmarks when reviewing.This isn't just a midrange product, this is big and could shake up the entire high end market.

4. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

They need to hurry up if they plan to cover the market with new chips before the next gen ATI cards show. ATI put out a very wide range of well thought out cards rather quickly, Nvidia seems to be struggling with how to name defective chunks of silicon.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Good call - 336x2=672!. Now we just need TWO and SLI drivers :eeek:

6. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Yeah the logistics might be tough but it presents a very interesting value proposition. Of course it'll be interesting to see how much power it takes though. Luckily that can be calculated just by multiplying by two. :)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The problem is you'll be limited to 768MB of memory on the cheaper cards even in SLI, so at very high resolution and/or AA you'll be crippled. Unless some companies offer double capacity - but at what price?? The only current GDDR5 double density cards are limited to the most premium Radeon models.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yep and drivers need to be updated often.. it's a pain to run more than a single gpu- 768 should be enough to run 1080p though

wish nvidia would set on date on the fermi shrink.. bet ati is going to release the gobbler when that happens though.. you know anything about it bindi?

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I didn't say they failed constantly. What I said was that it seems, judging by all those posts above me, that people THINK they constantly fail.

I'd be glad to stand corrected though if/when nVidia show off a card that blows everyone away again.

10. Elton

Nvidia hasn't really failed, they've just become underwhelming. Which really shouldn't be too surprising. The G80 and G92 were pretty difficult chips to topple, the GT200 not really doing a good job of it, and the GF100 while doing it, was tied with the other team.

It's kind of like the ATI and their H2xxx series, huge X1950XTX then, a chip that wasn't so good.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's a stretch. GF100 has been consistently hotter, louder, with poor idle power and costs more than every Radeon on the market. GF104 could be better. I certainly hope so for the sake of the market!

GTS 250 vs 4850 again! Yay!

12. Elton

Okay, in terms of overall, it's not a tie.

In terms of performance, at least it delivers well enough.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Wake me up when nVidia has something to compete with against the Supremacy of ATI. I wish nVidia luck in their endeavors, ATI has been king of the hill for over 2 years now.

14. Elton

I disagree, Nvidia was still and still is performance king, well not so much anymore, but they were the top when it came to performance, just not efficiency.

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

at least nividia arn't that far behind like ATI where in 2006 when the 8800gtx came out ATI didn't have a card which came close till the 4XXX seris came out

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

How do you figure? IIRC, the 5000 series launched in September 2009, so it's been out for 9-10 months. While this generation of cards isn't so clear cut, the 200 series was better than the 4000 series.

17. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

4000s tended to be better value than their GT200 rivals. This time last year, I bought a GTX285, but I could have bought a superior 4870x2 at the same time. I chose not to because I'd heard bad things about ATI linux support (though my 5870 handles linux just fine).

18. Elton

The HD4xxxx were perhaps better value, but in sheer performance the GT200 still took the trophy.

19. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

But you are confusing a single card with a sandwich card and that opens a whole lot more questions. The GTX285 was the best SINGLE card at the time. Much like the GTX480 is now ;-p

20. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Single card, no? I appreciate that you're talking about the number of GPUs, but regardless of technicalities, the 4870x2 did offer significantly more performance than the GTX285 for roughly the same price (about £10 more IIRC), and that is what I was talking about in my post. If you want to break it down into GPUs, then yes, at the high end nVidia won both this round and last, but in reality it probably won neither due to the slightly uncompetitive prices it used, except for perhaps the GTX260 which seemed to sell very well.

tl;dr:
    The question was "Which offers more performance for your money?" rather than "What GPU is faster?"

Tags: Add Tags