1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard adds DX11 to WoW: Cataclysm beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Jul 2010.

1. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Not true. You can't catch up with old characters in terms of skill points - but you don't need to in order to compete with them. Anyone can make gobs of cash and buy the biggest ships if that's what you mean by catching up. The only thing old characters have on new characters is versatility. Since they've been training skills so much longer they have access to more stuff. Having the highest levels in the skills for a particular area (such as guns or piloting) doesn't mean you automatically win, unlike being a higher level or having the phat lewt gear in WoW. In EVE player skill and knowledge also goes into the equation.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This is as about as much good as adding sugar coating to a cookie. It is superficial and nothing more. WoW is ancient. For true Dx 11 they need to remake the engine. Honestly..adding LED's to a wheelchair doesn't make it a super bike.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

The graphics have never been spectacular, pretty sub-par compared to most other MMORPs on the net.

4. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Just use OpenGL 4.0

5. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Ahh, cynical headline grabbing.

What is the point of adding DX11 support to a game that makes Quake 3 look pretty?

6. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

^^^^^^^ Exactly i pretty sure this is possiblr on Dx9 maybe even lower i think Dx8 did as well.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

But it does make the rider the most badass disabled person to walk roll the earth.

But you're right. WoW isn't just an ugly game, it's an old game. Was it released in '04 or '05? I can't remember. There've been advancements in its graphics, but nothing major is really going to happen to make it a "modern" game until they make a whole new engine and release a new game.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

LOL @ config.WTF file extension

9. halls

halls What's a Dremel?

This isn't meant to be a personal attack on you Isitari, but I made an account just to refute that mindset about EVE that its playerbase seems to have.

Yes, it was a good idea and it is unique in a few aspects of its design. But EVE Online is the most boring video game I have ever played. I did everything from mining to fleet combat over a period of 2 years. One day, I looked back, and realized that I had spent nearly all of that time doing nothing, sitting there and watching the game play itself.

The big draw is that you're constantly at risk of losing what you've worked for, which is legit, and does offer a thrill. However, everything that leads up to that thrill is mind-numbingly boring, even more so than other MMOs. Everything from mining to combat requires only a few clicks, and you watch it play out on its own, slowly. Yeah, we can point to skillsheets and transversal velocities and signature radii, but all of that is just technical jargon EVE's players use to cover how dull the gameplay actually is. Compensating for your tracking speed and optimal range aren't any more complicated than moving around in a traditional MMO to use similar advantages/disadvantages in any other game, and I hate it when EVE players pretend that it is.

And fleet battles? Maybe they've changed, but when I left the game they consisted of a fleet commander telling every ship under his lead to focus fire on one battleship at a time. This was attempted despite horrendous server lag, terrible framerates and frequent disconnects from too many ships occupying the same system (this might've changed, again).

Don't get me wrong, I respect CCP for what they attempted, and no offense man, but if being "hardcore" means letting the game play itself and move everything around at the speed of Congress while I have to have my TV tuned to the Paint Drying Channel to get some entertainment out of my downtime, I'll stick with "carebear" games like WoW where I actually have fun playing.

I sold my 20 million SP character for $280 back when it was allowed under the EULA, and I've been happy to be unsubscribed.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2010
  10. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

WoW's problem is the same as every other MMO that has lasted this long. The original landscape and model assets were designed around hardware several generations old now. You can see a progression in texture detail and landscape polygon count as you move through the game, but the striking differences come from the scale of the art direction and not from any purely technical advance. WoW isn't about how good the fireballs look or whether or not they cast realistic hard shadows as they move. In my opinion that's a very good thing. Case in point: Icecrown. The design is genuinely unsettling when you first see it and the scale is breaktaking. It screams "Someone/thing extremely badass lives here" to you loud and clear just when you first see the front gates and that's far more important to immersion than any extra pixel shader effects could ever be.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah guildwars suffers from the same thing stoney.. the first chapter has textures from 2005 and it's very obvious

still waiting for guildwars 2.. they have a demo coming out at seattle pax early september finally

I dunno but it looks like they are going to copy a lot of what wow does so well =E I was hoping they would keep the skill system because that's what I enjoyed about it- building

looks like they are going to cookie cutter builds to make it easier.. it might even pull some wow players in but doubt it myself- you guys will just go to diablo.. either way there is bucktooth talk about jacking the demo from the servers at pax- that would be funny

12. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Yeh I kinda got bored of WoW and got EVE in the Steam sale, I wouldn't mind tackling once I get the skills up.

13. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

All fair comments Halls. What really changed it for me was working together with people I really get on with. Here is a recent example:

We've had a guy join our corp who has done supercap fights in 0.0 and he has found the corp so much fun and comradly to be in that he is making large investments into the corp. Now this guy had done it all before in EVE but he says he has never found a group of people he gets on so well with and how this has changed the game for him.

P.S. This guy actually left the corp early on because he was offered paid for capitals in another 0.0 corp but he was back within the week :D.

14. Riddick

Riddick Percussionist

This might be a really daft question but didn't Guild Wars have reflections when it first came out? And it didn't need DX11 to do it?

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I don't understand a word you just said :D

16. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

17. douglatins

douglatins What's a Dremel?

"so I will be deleting every single post I've ever made in FEAR for MY VERY LIFE."

Blizzard surely did not consider the likes of this guys. They are wrong to do so.

18. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Shameless eve plug into a wow article.. Do people actually still play wow?

19. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

People? No... They're not people anymore....

Tags: Add Tags