1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: GeForce GTS 450 due end of August

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jul 2010.

1. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

But wasn't that a sandwich card? like all sandwich cards, they have major driver issues.

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Um, not possible. The 470/480 are gf100 architecture. For them to have "the same make over" would mean nVdia dumping the gf100 architecture and bring out a higher performing card based on the gf104 form. While that is no doubt possible it would mean nVidia admitting to Fermi, in it's original form, being the huge failure we all know it to be. And just how dumb would you feel seeing a cooler, quiter, cheaper and faster version of the 470/480 appear having just bought a Fermi original ...in the last three months, or less!

3. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

ATI still have issues with drivers if ATI had an tool that would completely remove and fix what ever it brakes or something broke i would buy ATI i think 10.6 has fixed most issues from when 10.1 came out so call that **** really, and my friend is going to have to reload is system now as his CF wil not Show in CCC (that seems to be the issue any way its reporting it as disabled when its not)
    New issue thought the Screaming chokes got an 5850 for an customer and when i was testing it was very noisy (from the chokes or what ever it is) , Nvidia cards do it as well but you need to be doing 1000 FPS (ATI tool running the artifact test), takes to long to fix issues that should not be there in the first place

if i get an Nvidia card i know its going to work or it be an dead card when i turn it on (not that i have had dead cards, i have killed them but that was my fault), and the fan noise the users are having with GTX480 does not seem to happen here temps seem normal to me (85-90c i had 9800GX2 running for the last year at 100c Folding@home only had 1.5 dead {one half of an second 9800GX2 is still working} out of 12 but all that folding has stopped permanently now for the time been CPU or GPU)

still happy with my GTX480 as it is at the moment i do not need an second GTX480, unless i get 3 monitors for the NV surround thing, and i am not disappointed with it at all performing as expected, just with they get there ass in gear and bring out the GTS450 or lower end versions as do not want to use rebanded GTS250 or lower (GTX260 still costs to much for customers i deal with, i want an DX11 card for £100 {£80 trade} )

if ATI could get there software sorted out to work correctly i would buy there cards some have issues with ATI but compared to Nvidia as a lot more users use Nvidia then ATI the amount of users who have issues it to much, 3 of my friends when the ATI route and that failed when BF BC2 came out taken ATI 3-4 months to bring fixed drivers out for it and other issues that you get with ATI and new games they got, most of my customers do not update there Nvidia drivers and some have been running on 1-2 year and the games still work fine

side note CCC for vista or higher is **** please give us the option to use classic layout like XP as it takes to long to access parts of CCC under vista or higher (or even better Dump .net CCC and rebuild it from the ground up, as i am guessing that fix most issues with CCC related stuff)

i am no fan but i buy what works 99.9% of the time not 50/50 or 20% if its an new game (0% if the update F up the system the requires and windows reload to fix it{my currant friend issue})

Last edited: 23 Jul 2010
  4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I have to say, I completely agree with D-Cyph3r. I've owned 2 generations of ATI cards as well as the previous 2 generations of Nvidia's and truthfully they are both at a very similar level in my opinion, I've never had any issue's with ATI drivers and I think NVidia fans are using it as a cheap dig towards ATI and the fact of the matter is it simply isn't true.

This point I have to agree with though and It has definitely put me off recommending 5850's. I had a GTX 260 with the same issue but this was only during menu's with very high frames etc but now I'm getting coil whine at any time the card goes up to it's default gaming clocks without even mentioning when it's overclocked when it becomes by far the loudest thing in my system and can become very distracting.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Agreed, the only minus I can think of with the GTX460 is that a few of the designs are a little noisy as they can't do TRI-SLI (for obvious performance related reasons).

6. crazyceo

I feel Nvidia are big enough and successful enough to redesign any of their cards. When the 470/480 were due out, it apparently was always bound for a short run due to the problems early on. The 460 and 450 maybe the first in the new line.

7. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

You don't go and just redesign a whole architecture without calling it a NEW architecture! It isn't possible (read cost effective/profitable) to "redo" gf100/fermi. The only path open would be to put it on a smaller die but that ain't possible because TMSC don't have 32nm avaiable and Fermi into 28nm don't go and neither nVdia nor Ati are going to use 28nm simply as a vehicle for a refresh. Both will use it as a selling point for their next architecture which in the case of Ati will be Northern Islands. As for nVidia ...who knows; they're still struggling with this version of 40nm parts.

8. jamie_macdonald

jamie_macdonald What's a Dremel?

Well amongst all these fanboi arguments, I have a GF100 GTX480 and it is quieter, cooler and faster than all of the scare stories told here... It runs well, performs great and can handle simple things like AA without having a heart attack :p

Company bashing and forum trolling seems to be far to common nowdays, and it's a good job I ignored all the idiotic commenting as my card works just fine ;)

I didn't buy ATI myself, purely because the two previous ATI cards I had both failed on me (overheated and cooked themselves) so I trusted nvidia and shockingly... it's fine even on the "lame powerhungry (so you lot would tell the world without owning one)" monster of a card I have.

Nice to see some lower priced revisions coming through too... £420 well spent for me ^^

9. crazyceo

Nvidia rumours before the 470/480 came out were I repeat "always bound for a short run".

Nvidia struggling? even in one of their worst quarters they still made a huge profit. Something AMD didn't do in their BEST quarter!

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I personally think its not the cards at fault. I bet with the amount of money and time that goes into the hardware, if they actually put that same proportion into its driver division, i bet their old 8800gts's could smash anything... I believe that the hardware specs we are talking about these days are going up frantically in the models, yet were now only netting single figures of FPS on older models... Somehow I dont think so.
    I think its time drivers were looked at more often than releasing video cars.

11. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Seems like the combination of low power draw + fermi architecture will make them good folding cards, following on from the GTS 250. I'll have to wait and see.. :)

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

same here GTX480 runs as expected not as the noisy hype went on to say so (heat seems fine at 85-90c and deferentially quieter then the 9800GX2's i had)

once you have owned ATI once you never own it again normaly if you had driver issues (3-4 of my friends are ebaying there ATI cards and getting the GTX470 or maybe the 460 soon due to the currant issues they are Still having after 3-4 months)

Tags: Add Tags