1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What games can I play with this computer?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by evildude5t5, 20 Jul 2010.

1. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Bittech is a training place, He's in the Bush, He must survive ! Your tRFC, CR, tRAS, tRP, tRCD and CL? ? Vcore ? The number of AMP on your 12 Rail ? Your Bios is Update ? DO IT NOW !!! What is the Queen mid name's ? FASTERRRRRR !!!!

Lawl

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

What the hell ? I didn't expect that...

I'm all confused now

oh and for the first time ever TBSM was right. Damn it. I'll hear about this when he gets on msn

3. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

while you guys talk about specs, i will continue to recommend some games to our friend here :p

SPORTS

any EA SPORTS game from 08 and older
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater

I already told you about some shooters, but here I tell you, you could also try Resident Evil 2, 3, and 4.

Alien vs Predator (awesome)

Will think in some others...:D

4. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

:D LOL.

Knuck, who's in your avatar?

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Nina Dobrev

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Someone claimed that a certain game was playable with a Radeon X850XT (a card that is 3-4 years older than your Geforce 9400 GT), so that it will definitely be playable with your (much newer) Geforce 9400 GT.

Another poster refuted that, claiming that despite being older, a Radeon X850XT is a better card than a Geforce 9400GT, by a factor of about two.

I looked up some benchmark results, and they confirmed this.

The point we're illustrating is that, when selecting a video card, do not get misled by the naming conventions. They can be very confusing.

They have had vaguely consecutive numbers, but a higher first number rarely means the card is better, and the letter prefixes and suffixes can just make it even more confusing. The second number is usually a better indication, although there are inconsistencies there as well.

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

as a side note even though the 850XT is better it doesnt support shader model 3 which pretty much elminates it from all modern games lol

8. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

How about spending $120 on a video card, "since money isn't an issue."
    Then get Mass Effect 2 and call it a day.

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Fix'd.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well you could honestly play STALKER SOC. In 1024x768 of course, but still you'd be surprised. hell you could run COD4 on low settings.

Just don't try Oblivion.

11. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

GTA4 will be practically unplayable on that machine, I tried to run it on a Athlon 3000 and ATI 2600 Pro and it ran at about 10fps!

Even on my current machine it still stutters sometimes.

12. evildude5t5

evildude5t5 Real gamers overclock

to those of you who told me to get a different video card with only like 512mb of ram. that would be a downgrade. i cant get a new cpu because then i have to get a new motherboard and a power supply. i would take donations though..the reason i cant buy parts is because i get paid in cash and newegg does not take cash and best buy does not sell motherboards

13. October

October Mariachi Style

The amount of ram on a video card is NOT an indicator of it's greatness. By your reasoning my 4890 is equal to your card. It is not. It's perfectly possible that a card with "only" 512mb onboard will by far outperform your current card. This one for example. Or this one. Or this one. Try that last one out for size, if you don't notice any difference that means it's still in the box.

You seem new to the PC building game, allow us to instruct you in the subtleties of this fine art :thumb:

Also, you really should invest in a bank account and accompanying debit card, online is where the bargains be.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You have mistaken me for the OP :D

I changed my name so that might be why. I'm the one with whom you had a conversation about Athlon XPs and Thunderbirds ;)

I just didn't expect the 9400GT to perform so poorly compared to a 5 and a half year old video card ! (even though the 9400GT is a few years old as well). Don't worry, I am perfectly aware of the naming scheme of videocards ;)

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

It wasn't directed at you specifically, just a general point of information. I wasn't paying attention to usernames (I browse bit-tech in a quarter window of a 1024x768 screen at work, so I don't usually scroll over to see names/avatars)

16. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

Like october said, video card ram is not an indication of power. For example, my 8800gts 512mb video card has a score of 1007, compared to the 270 of your card, its a generation behind your card and half the ram, yet nearly 4 times as powerful. but I of course, am only powering 2 19 inch monitors at 1440x900, I dont think anyones asked yet, but what size monitor do you have? what is your native resolution of said monitor?

If its a lower resolution monitor like mine, I'd go el cheapo with a 9800 gt, something similar, maybe a gtx 250.You can get one for less than 100 dollars on newegg.

also, like previously said, nab yourself a bank account, I've got 7, simply because I move often enough and theres never a branch of the bank I use near where I move ><, 50 bucks, walk in, 10 minutes, walk out and your done. and you can grab your cash back out immediately

Also, you dont necessarily need a new motherboard if you upgrade your processor, same with the power supply, unless your power supply is uber weak to begin with, and even then most of your power in a gaming pc is used via gpu. And you want a minimum 4 gigabytes of ram in a pc these days for gaming, a patriot set of el cheapo ddr2 6400 4gb sits at 85 dollars on newegg.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2010
  17. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

Counter Strike 1.6
    Counter Strike Source (Probably medium, might get away with high).
    Team Fortress 2 (medium - high again)
    Team Fortress Classic
    Far Cry
    Track Mania (It's Free)
    Battlefield 2

Tags: