1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Civilization 5 Hands-on Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 8 Aug 2010.

1. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Thanks for the heads up - I downloaded the lite version on Friday and got hooked!

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

What sort of games do you like? I'll make sure we only cover those in the future! ;)

3. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Im sorry, but i remember my uncle had this game, i looked at the front cover and thought "this game in going to f**king rock! then i end up rolling dice!" - oh wait no, guys... i have just realised that that's a different game, and civilization is a different game. well, don't i feel stupid.

4. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

A lot of people are objecting to the no-naming thing. I have mixed feelings. On one hand it takes control away from the player for no gameplay purpose. I myself liked to use a custom name once in a while.

But on the other hand, a lot of people who are objecting say they're sad they can't name their cities immature/stupid things. It would kind of kill the epic atmosphere in multiplayer when your opponent's city is named "Poop Monster 3000" or "My Scrotum".

5. ChuckyP83

ChuckyP83 What's a Dremel?

What you've never heard of the often misspelled Tenochtitlabia?

I am pretty excited for this game, though to be honest I thought Civ3 was better than 4. There was just too much cruft in 4 that was interesting, but then started to get in the way of building your civilization by the end of the game. Though it may just be that I bought 3 and not 4 (borrowed it from my brother for a while) and havent invested the time to really get my head around some of the more obscure/stupid things like religion. I have no problems with it, if its implemented well and balanced.

6. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Interested to know how surrounding a city takes more units now? Each hex has less adjacent spaces than a square which should allow for much more efficient packing than in Civ4.

I've got my copy reserved and I'm sure I'll be playing a lot of it. Hopefully, the September release date won't screw with my studies.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Seconded!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Anyone else find a wall in Civ games where you just can't work out what to do to play better? I mean, there's all the variables - I get that - but there was never any "try this in this situation" beyond the basic tutorial, or even the option to give you help like "keep an eye on this.." maybe

9. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I'm dying for this game.

10. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

is there unit stack in cities?
    or does defending a city also require stretching out over several tiles

will one have to fashion an attacking army to have an escape route? or face losing injured units stuck next to their city

11. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I MUST NOT BUY CIV5
    I MUST NOT BUY CIV5
    I MUST NOT BUY CIV5
    I MUST NOT BUY CIV5
    ....but maybe I can live without sleep......

12. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

The captions in this article are brilliant. They remind me of the totally random captions to images in FHM, which I used to appreciate, many years ago.

13. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I just wonder if they'll think again about unit stacking - ie. so that cavalry don't get slaughtered by nearby pikemen etc. Stacking different types of unit was essential in Civ IV for success. Even if stacking is limited to 2 or 3 units per hex...

And those captions below pics - LOL, they're awesome :D . In fact, they can't get more awesome...

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Dunno, but with the removal of stacking units combat could get a lot more complex, so they are probably just trying to keep it somewhat accessible by removing religion, so in a way its understandable why they would remove some stuff, it has to sell after all, personally I love complex strategy games though so I agree that it sucks that they removed it.

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

best part of this preview. made my monday morning abit easier to deal with :)

16. Hot Nikks

Hot Nikks What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone would show some love for Civ III. I loved it but I'm not sure if that's a fair statement since I played it for like 7 years (the result of rocking the same PC for close to a decade) and I've only been playing Civ IV for a couple months (just starting Warlords). I don't know but for such a large sprawling game, the gameplay seemed so tight. Though I'm sure I'll get Civ V sometime before 2017.

17. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Its more a reflection on me than the game, but the Elvis in Civ III made me giggle every time :)

18. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

The army of cows haha.. That's why I was thrilled to see the Civ5 preview was done by Joe! (Even more than Joe's preview being on Civ5!)

I'll get the game for being a pure sucker for civ. Youtube brings me those feelings back... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pZoLLEeo14

19. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Well, Im having surgery on a shoulder towards the end of september.

This looks like it could be amazing (yay no more 'religion rush', booo to strategic resource limit) and more importantly its a game I can play one handed :)

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Looking forward to this!

Tags: Add Tags