1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks wireless wont work

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dreamcometru, 1 Sep 2010.

1. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Dear all,

Ive just moved into a ew flat and im not allowed a hardline :(

ive bought a wirless networking adapter but i can get it working. :(

I'm using windows 7 and ive got the pluscom wireless usb 802.11b/g

ive installed the drivers, and reset the router. im pretty sure the router is fine becuase every1 else here can connect wirlessly.

tried the diagnotic thing windows 7 can do but all it tells me is that 'the wireless network adapter is experiencing problems.'

any1 have any ideas???

2. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

If after enabling your wireless you see an error for your available networks, or can't see any wireless networks advertised, I would re-install the network adapter or try another.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

y0 y0 y0, wsp du1et i hv no id wt yu tk abt. k!

@Dreamcometru, if you want people attention, and help: respect them. You can do this by providing the reader (us) the following:
    • full words typed out, unless it's a known and accepted name, for example: Windows 7 -> Win7.
    • basic spell check (a few mistakes is fine, if the content is large),
    • prove basic sentence structure. (e.g.: capital letter after the point and proper noun starting with a capital letter),
    • and using paragraph properly helps.

The above provide everyone an easier read to all. We already have to manage with the:
    • not the best sentence structure (this includes my posts and this sentence)
    • and, grammar mistakes that we all do, as we all type the same way most of us talk
    The above mention is fine, as this is a forum, and not an English exam. However, it’s by no mean a reason to type like if you are using a numerical keypad of a small phone.
    Thank you.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

mb e woz typin on is iphone, or summat dude

anyways

check the device manager, see if the drivers have installed properly, or if they can't start.

if they haven't installed properly, right click and update driver, this should then reinstall the drivers, and hopefully, sort the issue.

if they can't start try a different port, failing that, it is going to be a case of getting a new adaptor, with a different chipset.

something cheap will be fine, no need to go to pc world and spend £30 - £50 on one, when a £10- £15 one will do. ( tp-link, edimax, sweex) available from your local pc shop. make sure win7 drivers in box, there are a couple of tp-link ones where you have to download the driver (ask shop to do it for you, if needs be).

if the router is a BT Homehub 2, you will need to try things like, changing from wpa + wpa2 to just wpa, and changing from b,g,n to just b,g

Last edited: 1 Sep 2010
  5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Before you try connecting to the wireless network, make sure the adapter is installed correctly by checking in the Device Manager.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Mistake number one. Uninstall everything you installed. Uninstall the device from device manager, restart and then plug it in. Use the drivers than Windows provides automatically. Although catch-22 you may need to use a wired connection to allow it to download the drivers from Windows Update.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

installing the drivers from disk is ok, so long as it doesn't include a crappy wireless manager

windows actually handles wireless just fine.

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Normally the bloatware tried to hook in and prevents windows from doing its job, stopping stuff from working properly.

I've never had problems with Windows' built in wireless manager.

Also, it's always a good idea to have the latest version of the drivers from the website. The discs can sometimes have year(s) old versions on them.