1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Pre built computer or laptop (PC) recommendation.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RickDawson, 8 Sep 2010.

1. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

ok so my dad is currently using a Pentium4 1.7 only 1gb RAM (max sdram will go to)

what would be a decent upgrade for it (new computer)?

It can either be a laptop or a desktop.

He doesn't know how much the cost would likely be, so lets say your pick for £200 and your pick for £300

Though I think cheaper the better.

His usage is email, web, photo sharing, and CAD.

I totally now don't have a clue about current hardware. The newest of computers I have only has a 775 dual core.

no external peripherals are needed as he has a 22in monitor he's happy with.

laptop will have to have an analogue graphics output so he can use the external monitor.

We can go direct to the store and pick it up if it's from MicroDirect (www.MicroDirect.co.uk) or Aria (www.Aria.co.uk)

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  2. Sam_JB

Sam_JB What's a Dremel?

3. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

You won't be able to use that on a new PC without buying a new license.

I wouldn't spend such a small amount on a new PC from an e-tailer as most of the components are likely to be fairly garbage. You could either try and pick up something second hand or you could spec and build your own for around £300.

EDIT: I stand corrected, those CCL barebones systems seem very reasonable!

5. Sam_JB

Sam_JB What's a Dremel?

6. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

7. Sam_JB

Sam_JB What's a Dremel?

How intense is the CAD work mentioned?

That CCL Gem Chamion looks really good if it's just basic stuff. If it's anything more intense than that you may have to up the budget/go second hand

8. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

Re: CAD
    It runs fine on his current PC (It's a collection of bits from my upgrades)
    It's more about the general usage of the PC, it's just sluggish.

I am fine to do a self build if necessary.
    It's just mobo, ram, graphics, and processor (assuming sound and network are integrated, monitor/keyboard/mouse already got and iirc 300w antec basiq PSU if it will do.)

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If it's a desktop, an Nvidia ION 2 platform should do the trick. It's about 200-300$ Canadian, or 450-500$ pre-build. Custom build board features all included:
    - Wirrless N
    - Ethernet
    - Integrated Geforce 210
    - Dual Core Atom 64-bit CPU
    - Power supply included
    - onboard Sound card included

Basically all you need, is a monitor (if he doesn't have one already), HDD, RAM (you can get 4GB really cheap), Windows itself, and a case. The computer is approximately the size of your hand. Oh and optical drive (DVD-drive at least to install the OS) if you don't have a spare one.
    Just something to look into.

Alternatively, Dell has a nice low-end PC, just get a medium-low range GPU to handel his CAD and your set. Dell system are bad (of course, the more you pay, the more quality components you get and faster the system). Be sure to negotiate over the phone with Dell, to get a better price and/or free upgrades.

Alternatively, the Core 2 Duo/Quad series should be cheap now as you have the Core i series, out. Or what you can also get a basic motherboard with a Core i3.

10. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

This is just an idea...
    Is it worth upgrading the media computer's processor (1.86 775 dual core) to handle HD DVB (Freeview in the UK) and getting a cheap 775 mobo etc for my dad and transplanting the processor?

It runs awesome with standard definition DVB/Freeview as it is.