1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First time building gaming pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickolay, 24 Aug 2010.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Ahh, ok. Misread it.

Put up a message in their forum on these boards. Might be able to find out what happened.

2. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

If this is your first build, then you should allow more than a couple of days to get everything working - there's lots of scope for things to go wrong (biggest boo-boo on my first build - setting everything up, hooking the PC to the mains, pressing the front power button and having nothing happen - spent hours checking and re-checking cabling only to find the problem was that I hadn't switched on the PSU power switch at the back *facepalm*).

Delays are frustrating but you can make good use of the time to review ComputerShopper's 75 PC Building Tips (some are dated but it still worth reading) and to check for any more needed items like cable ties, fans (that Utgard has a couple built-in but you may need more, particularly for the graphics card) and cabling (most items should have their own but for a large case, you may need longer ones).

Cheer up - things would be far worse if you ordered during the Christmas run-up (when City Link have to hire lots of "white van men" to deal with their deliveries).

3. nickolay

nickolay What's a Dremel?

yeap i know what u mean astral. anyway i ordered the ram from amazon 2 days ago and they said it will be delivered in about 7-14 days and i just got it after 2 days now thats what i mean service. i've been shopping with them before and they never let me down.

i'm thinking if i ordered 1 by 1 it would of come in already, and now i am abit more on the side of canceling it and ordering it with amazon or some where else to be honest. :(

4. nickolay

ok i have posted on their forum about my problem and i hope they will respond to it quickly.
    does anyone know how long do i have to wait for the refund? :(

5. nickolay

just to inform people, the scan said that they have the card in stock and my items are being picked now (in the account on scan). so fingers crossed :worried:
    dont even know if i want to use them again in the future as this is my first order and they disappointed me :(
    i got my ram and on the dabs it saz they should get 6 of the monitors in 5-7 days. so i guess i need to wait for a week more to get all the items. :thumb:

P.S. can anyone tell me if i would need extra fans for my case? ty

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  6. nickolay

Hey all :)

i have received all my items, but i have a problem. the cpu cooler titan fenrir the bottom bracket doesnt feet for the mobo because its for lga 1336 and not 1156 :(
    what should i do about it? should i call them and tell them that its not compatible with my mobo? and if they can send me one that is?

thanks

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

the fenrir should have a 1366 bracket included as well as 1156 ?

8. nickolay

it has alot of things in there lol but the only 4 ping bracket is for the 1366 :(

if you look in the special features on the scan it shows which cpu's its for and there doesn't listed 1156.

9. adam_bagpuss

10. nickolay

i have ordered the one that silver put in his post as i dont have much experience in this :(

and we tried to install it last night and it way to big. if you put 2 pins inside the other 2 are like 3-4 cm from the other 2 holes.

11. adam_bagpuss

12. nickolay

13. adam_bagpuss

thats the 1366 bracket

You have the original one not the V2 which includes a 1156 bracket.

you need to contact scan about it maybe they will send you one for free

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The Fenrir I bought from Scan had a bracket sellotaped to the outside of the Fenrir box.

15. nickolay

oh yeap i had only the plastic cover and the bottom was ripped off like they took it out. lol
    i guess i need to ask them about it. do you guys know what its called? so if i ask them i know what i'm talking about haha.
    or i might ask them in the forum its probably same thing.

btw i try to connect my monitor but i have that old blue connector vga or what ever its called. i had a separator like 1 side is white the one on my graphic card and the other end is blue the one for my old monitor. so i connected all of them but the screen not showing up for some reason. any clue why? my new monitor should be coming in stock in 1-2 days.

16. nickolay

hey all :)
    ok i finally got my monitor and its beautiful :p
    but i have a problem with my computer, when i connect my new monitor or old its not showing nothing on the screen like it doesnt read it. and if someone has same build as mine, is the computer REALLY quite? coz mine you cant even hear it. as i read in articles that for instance gtx 460 will make noise but mine doesnt.

i'm thinking that my friend didnt connect the wires properly as we had few problems where to connect it as there are ALOT of wires hahaha.
    thanks for the reply's.

17. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

mmm, make sure that the power cables are connected to the video card. If it's running then the fan should spin. Hooking up a monitor should be the easiest part ;) Leave the computer open until you're up and running completely, to spare yourself the hassle.

18. nickolay

the fans are running on the gpu and yes to connect the monitor i think i can do it my self :p
    but about the wire connections i don't know as there are soo many of them.

19. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Sounds like you've done something wrong with the cables, it might not necessarily be the graphics card either, could be one of the motherboard cables, have you got the little 6/8 pin connector in the top-left hand corner of the motherboard in for example?

Also it's likely to be quiet as it's only running at idle, the fans will speed up when you play games/stress test it, making more noise.

20. nickolay

i will check everything tomorrow as its late. but thanks for the reply's. and yes i think it might be something with the cables. :(