1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Good PCI-E Wireless card (MIMO?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [PUNK] crompers, 9 Oct 2010.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Unfortunatley i no longer have enough pci slots left for my X Fi and my PCI wireless card.

So I need a decent PCI-E card for under £20,

i dont have a router for "n" though, so would it be better to get a b/g MIMO card, or a b/g/n card? My current card is mimo and works very well

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i am looking for exactly the same thing, except it should have amazing windows 7 drivers, because all the cards i have have royally crap W7 drivers!

3. [PUNK] crompers

yup i tried an airpace with that problem

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Avoid belkin, linksys looks interesting...

5. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I don't have any to recommend but I had problems with the drivers for windows 7 on my wireless card. It claimed it was compatible and I found some drivers but they were awful and windows wouldn't auto detect/install any drivers itself.

After some investigation I managed to find out who actually made the chip on the card (it was Atheros) and manually installed the drivers through device manager since I did that its been absolutely fine, no problems at all.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah yeah atheros, you can use the generic belkin driver that comes with vista/win 7 for that

7. koola

koola Minimodder

Agreed, I gave up and now run a cable. It's 100% hassle free now :)

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I've had no such luck with them at all, it installs and allows basic internet usage, but as soon as i try to torrent my 'nix' distro's it hard locks W7.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Airpace can be made to work just fine, have a search through the forums. I found the solution for mine when W7 RC was out, still using it to this day. :)

Otherwise I'd get an N-card without doubt, no point buying a G card anymore with N becoming the standard.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

done the same until i can solve the problem. What gets me is the lack of driver support considering how long W7 has been out.

11. Krikkit

Imo the fault lies squarely at the feet of the vendors - MS published what the upcoming driver structure would be like for Vista/7 years ago, yet no-one bothered to get decent drivers going.

ATi and nVidia I can forgive because they had to write a million lines of code, but a driver for a network card is much simpler.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

that's the big problem, the vendors want to push there new products and yet disregard there old customers. From what i believe even new products are still suffering bad drivers.

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

best bet to get a USB WiFi card.
    I use this card from Germany. It is amazing make sure to turn down the power if you don't need it, as it is a extremely powerful WiFi card.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TP-LINK-WLAN-...ie_Netzwerk&hash=item35ac5084b3#ht_7010wt_992

comes with 8dbi antenna which usually sets you back 40 pounds on its own!

(use on a 50-100m connection between buildings, with line of sight though)

Sorry I use a earlier version of this card/USB stick:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWER-150Mbps...ie_Netzwerk&hash=item3cae09c3f0#ht_6545wt_983

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
  14. [PUNK] crompers

ive just tried those drivers but the card isnt being recognised krikkit, pretty sure its a dud tbh.

call me old fashioned but i'd like to have the card inside the case, usb can get knocked out or worse snapped off in a port. plus ive never seen a usb wireless card that gives as reliable a connection, although to be fair that does look like a serious piece of kit.

15. Krikkit

Sounds like your Airpace is duff then unfortunately.

I agree completely with you about USB wireless adapters though, I've had about a 50/50 success rate with them, even then they're just not as reliable as PCI/PCI-e cards imo.

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Smells like your advertising tbh....

I bought 3 12db antenna's from china few months back for the grand total of £8 including P&P, they turned up a week later and when i got them i took the gamble and it paid off.

There perfect antenna's, which shows you just how over priced any antenna is off the shelf in Europe considering they've come from the same source.

17. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Would this D-Link PCI-E x1 card do?

It wasn't available when I built my HTPC so I didn't get one but my experience with D-Link routers has been pretty good. No idea about whether the cards are good though.

Saying that, Win 7 installed my PCI Edimax 802.11n card perfectly without the driver CD - same goes for the onboard Wi-Fi on my Asus gaming rig mobo (late 2007 vintage), Win7 Update automatically installed the necessary drivers (something Vista couldn't manage). So I'm guessing Win7 should find the necessary.

18. [PUNK] crompers

whao there! £60?

for that i may as well get an Asus Xonar PCI-E, ditch the x-fi and continue using my pci mimo card

19. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff What's a Dremel?

20. storm_technology

storm_technology What's a Dremel?

An ASUS WIRELESS NIC 300Mbps PCI-E x1 PCE-N13 doesnt look to bad for the money