1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD posts Q3 loss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Oct 2010.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

AMD has had a recent re-shuffle and some heavy investment, with new products on the horizon. If we were getting this news 6 months after their new CPUs are launched then yes they'd be in serious trouble, but as it is I'm neither surprised nor worried.

2. RickTheSnake

RickTheSnake What's a Dremel?

i think one of the problems in AMD regarding the consumer market that isn't discussed so often is the lack of efficient advertising. in the server market this is a non-issue - server buyers will always buy the chip with the better speed/power drawing ratio - but seriously, at least here in italy intel always advertised his products wherever they could, but amd is nowhere to be found. the result is that even if people don't know absolutely anything about what they're going to buy they still ask for intel. recently intel introduced this nice rating system for her mobile products based on stars, more stars = more power, with a brief description like "ideal for networking": this way even the most IT-illiterate customer can compare intel products, but amd still has something like ten different stickers without info about the qualities of the chip inside. i know they're going to fix it with llano, but they're again following what intel does. i don't know if this issue exists in the uk or usa as well, but from my point of view in a market where laptops are the most important stream of revenue, and they're bought by people who has little if absolutely not knowledge about what's under the hood, you cannot go out there without plans about advertising.

3. Goty

Goty Minimodder

That's why they're in the red....

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

The big problem Yslen, is that "Let's just see in 6 months" is said every quarter for the last 4 years. When will we finally see something truly groundbreaking from AMD to put Intel in the shade? They can no longer target to just match Intel because they just haven't. To make that level of impact and boost in sales and improve share price, it really does need to be something amazing.

I do hope you're right though.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
Tags: Add Tags